When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Suggestions for a stuck screw inside a movement?

I would love some helpful suggestions here....I am taking apart the keyless works of an ETA 7750 and I have run into a stuck screw. It still has a slot on the head, but it is starting to become worn from my attempts to undo it. Also I can see it is wearing down the tips of my screwdrivers. What do you all do when you run into a tough screw? I am trying to selectively work on the keyless works so I don't want to have to soak the whole movement in a solution. Thanks for your expertise!

As long as the screw still has a deep enough groove to get some bite, I would take a pencil type soldering iron and try heating up the surrounding area a bit in hopes of expanding the metal just enough to loosen it up. A 40 watt iron should do the trick and you can pick them up from Radio Shack for like $15.

I just spoke to the ghost of fliplockbuckle. He said to take a crowbar and a blow torch to the movement along with a pair of vice grips. A rubber mallet couldn't hurt either. Make sure the whole assembly is held down with a hockey puck and a vise. :lol:

I never get tired of that.

You could try drilling the head off so you can remove the cover. Once the cover is removed, there should be enough of the screw left sticking up above the mainplate for you to grip it and remove it.

Or you could try cutting a new slot in the head with a screw head file, and get it out this way.

Never easy to get these out, even more difficult when the screw head splits in two while attempting to remove it...nothing to grip then...

I would try drilling it out, but either mask off the rest of the movement, or have the movement completely stripped when you do this to avoid contamination.

RG

Ziggy's procedure is the most likely to work, but olivia's suggestion of trying to loosen it with penetrating oil is worth a try before you break out the drill.

One other option, if there is enough of the head left you might try tapping on it from the side of the head with a small chisel. If you place the edge of the chisel at the right angle, it will bite into the edge of the screw head and you might be able to tap it in the direction to loosen and remove it.