When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My boss glued the bezel onto the Josh rep....

rower

I got my boss a Rolex Sub from Josh. He said in the first few hours that he wore it that the bezel fell off. Instead of waiting to talk with me on how to fix it he decides to super glue it in. Of course the whole bezel is now frozen in place! He returned it to me and wants his money back because the power reserve will not carry it through the night as it sits on his night stand.

I was thinking that if I let it sit overnight in some fingernail polish remover that by morning I should be able to move the bezel and possibly remove it and glue it properly with gorilla glue. THe problem that remains is the power reserve. I would normally return it to Josh for this but now that he super gluded the bezel inplace I feel that it would not be fair or honorable to Josh...what does every one suggest.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions. He went for the Asian movement against my pleading and wanted the waterproof service. I have $188 into the watch and he wants me to send him at least $150. Being my boss I probably will...but what do I do with this disaster? I will never buy another watch for someone I work with! They just don't get it.

The watch looks great...it just has some problems (Kind of reminds me of my dating life!)

Thank you in advance for any help.

wow -- sounds like you're in between a rock and a hard place. :black_eye:

given it is your boss, if he really wants his money back, i'd send him the cash no questions asked (shame on him for blaming you for his stupidity and expecting you to pay him back though).

then i'd shoot josh an email letting him know the situation....he's figure out a fair solution -- he always does.

good luck getting this resolved :victory:

deltatahoe

Upon everyones suggestion, I shot an email off to Josh. Much to my amazement, I got a reply within a couple of minutes. He asked me to send the watch back to him and we would work it out.

What a great dealer! I don't get that kind of service with my gens. I know where my future purchases will be!

"Rower"

that's really bad...ok probably the watch wasn't ok since the probl with the PR...but your boss did a stupid thing...you can direct him to this post and I'll tell him what he did if you don't wanna...in that way you won't have probl with him! :bicycle:

What about the nail polish remover idea? Do you guys think it would work? If I ruin the bezel I have a backup.

Just for future reference the answer to this is NO NO NO! Acetone is nasty stuff and would strip the paint finish off the bezel in short time. Longer exposure will attack the o-rings. Also, it has damn all effect on superglue.

Heating it makes no difference either.

Superglue is actually a pretty poor bonder of metals and I've found that a bezel stuck with it will often free up with just some brute force.

If you end up out of pocket over this I'd seriously think about smearing some superglue on the seat of your boss's executive toliet.....

It's been a few years, but unless the formula for super glue has changed, this should work.

I have 'dissolved' super glue, just by putting it in the presence of ammonia. You don't have to soak it in ammonia or even get it wet, just put it in a closed container (Glass jar) with some household ammonia and let it sit. The super glue will just fall apart. Usually overnight will do the trick.

Ammonia is a gas. Household ammonia is that gas dissolved in water, usually with some detergent added. If left to sit, household ammonia will 'offgas' and that is where the delightful smell comes from.

I wouldn't try using this trick to get super glue off your skin. Ammonia is pretty hard on skin.

Bill.

Upon everyones suggestion, I shot an email off to Josh. Much to my amazement, I got a reply within a couple of minutes. He asked me to send the watch back to him and we would work it out.

What a great dealer! I don't get that kind of service with my gens. I know where my future purchases will be!

"Rower"

cases like this are exactly why josh (& our other collectors) has gained so much respect over the years; you cannot fathom the level of service he provides when a difficult or frustrating situation presents itself.

people who have never dealt with josh or any of the other so called 'cartel collectors' that piled on in the little white lies and other threads and demanded immediate banning of these collectors would do well to occasionally pay heed to posts like this. have certain watches (aqua terra, "perfect" anything, b&r w/ eta, etc) or details about watches (ie. synthetic sapphire, etc) been misrepresented at some point in time? yes, they have. are these collectors out to get us? with service like this, i just can't believe that they are.

deltatahoe