When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Paul Newman Rolex Cosmograph reference 6239

Jimster

I saw one of these sell at auction last year for $85,000 in close to NOS condition. Now one's on eBay for $35K.

Is there a close rep with the 1965 circa pushers and hopefully a Swiss mvt? I've searched all three sites and can't find anything close. The band and clasp should be period correct as well.

Jimpost-216-1144863009_thumb.jpgpost-216-1144863081_thumb.jpg

This is available as a DW Paul Newman Exotic Dial. Randy had one and has posted it many times for comparisons.

These are sourcable, as well as the non red variation and the white PN exotic variation all in all there are 6 DW dials available, not including Nanuq's special order dial.

Enjoy.

Guest avitt
This is available as a DW Paul Newman Exotic Dial. Randy had one and has posted it many times for comparisons.

These are sourcable, as well as the non red variation and the white PN exotic variation all in all there are 6 DW dials available, not including Nanuq's special order dial.

Actually, Jimster is asking about the 6239, which has a "pre-Oyster" case. DW does not offer this. The major differences with the Oyster cased 6263/6265 are:

1. The dial doesn't say "Oyster"
  2. The pushers are not screw-down
  3. The crown is Twinlock, not Triplock
A DW could be modified to the 6239/6241 configuration, but Jimster also asked about a Swiss movement...which the DW most definitely doesn't have.

Indeed...

Start with this one-

23975-1359.jpg

Swap the dial for a non-oyster, change the crown and tube out for the Twinlocker, and exchange the pushers for pump pushers.

Of course, the ref between the lugs will still read '6263' ;) But, I think Halley has a proper engraved 6239 or 6241 case?

Hmmmmmm....

Thanks for all the great information. This morning the man with the vj 72 movement decided to keep it - he says he needs to think about selling it and more $$ didn't move him.

So, i'm on hold until I find a movement. Nnow I know what needs to be done. And I deal with O Frei (Bob) so the pushers are no problem. Any ideas on where to get the correct bracelet and clasp?

Best regards,

Jim