When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

IWC Big Pilot

Quarks

I guess some of ya have seen the new Big Pilot. What are your opinions?

I love the old Big Pilot very much. But the new version has this clean look and appeals to me a great deal. I like the black date background and the power reserve dial and how it cuts into '2' and '4'. I know some people hated that, and hate the fact that '9' was removed in the new design. I personally feel that it looks gorgeous.

If I have the money I wouldn't mind getting both. If I had the money, I would have one by now..hah

Btw, the new BP will be available at the later part of the year.

Here are some pics for comparison:

24208-1322.jpg

24208-1323.jpg

24208-1324.jpg

Salivating yet? *wipes keyboard*

Another one. This is the white gold version.

29667-158.jpg

Quarks Is this a picture of a hybrid of the two??????

I like the new one with the black date the most :thumbsupsmileyanim:

g. :)

Quarks Is this a picture of a hybrid of the two??????

I like the new one with the black date the most :thumbsupsmileyanim:

g. :)

Gran, this is the white gold version which has the white background for the date function. I prefer the SS one and like you, prefer the black date.

The 'old' one is better, and here is why.

Take a look at the picture below. On the far left is the orignial Big Pilot from IWC made in 1940 for pilots. The beast measures 55mm and was meant to be worn outside of a pilot's jacket on his wrist. When IWC introduced the Big Pilot again (the one in the middle), they held fairly true to the original design. The font is the same, the placement of the 12:00 triangle is the same, the style of hands (including the seconds hand w/ teardrop) is the same, the minute markers are the same, etc. I personally like the white date window since it blances the triangle at 12:00.

The new Big Pilot on the right looks nothing like the original. They changed the font, took away the '9', changed the style of the hands and markers, etc. It looks nothing like the original. The black date window is the only thing arguably better.

But, that being said, they do need to sell watches, and an update in design is probably necessary from a business standpoint, but I think the original is better.

30143-41.jpg