When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The HBB A7750 is Nothing special, just a normal one.

PM's not working, so I'll post the question here...

I was trying to regulate my SMP, and it suddenly died on me. All I touched was the regulating arm of the movement, and it simply stopped (the same problem I had with trying to regulate my other Omegas) I can't think of anything I've done that would have damaged the movement, and the spring still seems in place. I'm not going to let this put me off learning more about mechanical watches, and, although I'm annoyed at myself that it has also died, I just wish I knew what I had actually done, so I could be sure not to repeat the mistake, but all I've done, is moved the regulating arm... Can you make any suggestions? Thanks in advance :)

TJ.......you've got to start leaving well enough alone. You remind me of me!!!!

My wife bought me a beautiful 1909 Hamilton Railroad pocket watch on the bay that gained about 30 seconds a day. Any other moron would have been very happy with that performance. This is a 98 year old watch. I couldn't stop fiddling with it and in the course of several days, a watch that had survived almost a century had a broken crystal and a cross-threaded caseback. The eventual service and restoration cost $330. It runs + 5 sec/day crown up and -5 seconds a day dial up. I wind it daily, alternate in each of the two positions every other day....and leave it the hell alone!!!!

@teejay

The only possible reason is that you moved the beat arm instead of the regulator one. If the beat arm is moved, and the beat is out (only way to check beat is with an analyzer) then the movement will stop running.

RG

Ahh, assuming that's the case, would getting it running again be classed as 'regulation', or 'a service', in your opinion? I'm going to drop the watch into a the watchsmiths who were prepared to work on my Planet Oceans tomorrow, and if I can point them in the right direction, then that could help with the cost of the repair...

TJ.......you've got to start leaving well enough alone. You remind me of me!!!!

My wife bought me a beautiful 1909 Hamilton Railroad pocket watch on the bay that gained about 30 seconds a day. Any other moron would have been very happy with that performance. This is a 98 year old watch. I couldn't stop fiddling with it and in the course of several days, a watch that had survived almost a century had a broken crystal and a cross-threaded caseback. The eventual service and restoration cost $330. It runs + 5 sec/day crown up and -5 seconds a day dial up. I wind it daily, alternate in each of the two positions every other day....and leave it the hell alone!!!!

I would, but I have a habit of fiddling with something if it's something I think I can do myself (the above mentioned watchsmith even told me to give it a try myself before definitley booking the watch in for regulation) It was gaining a minute a day, which to me, is unnacceptable. My other Omega reps have never gained more than 10 seconds a day, one was even at -2 a day, so for this one to be so far off COSC standard, (and given it was a consistent gain) was too much to ignore, and it didn't seem too tricky to attempt myself. Mental note to self: Do not attempt to regulate watches anymore. Part swapping is one thing, regulation is something that needs a professional's touch.

• 1 month later...
Wouldnt a 7753 drop right in then??

-O

no.

the gen HBB uses a 7750 with modified chrono module, this allows it to still have a quick set date feature and aviod having a pusher for the date on the case. a 7753 would be the wrong movement to install and would require a pusher on the case. Interesting to note: the navi (3,6,9) uses a 7753 and DOES not have a case pusher. you have to wind all the way around to get the date to advance.

no.

the gen HBB uses a 7750 with modified chrono module, this allows it to still have a quick set date feature and aviod having a pusher for the date on the case. a 7753 would be the wrong movement to install and would require a pusher on the case. Interesting to note: the navi (3,6,9) uses a 7753 and DOES not have a case pusher. you have to wind all the way around to get the date to advance.

I think that's probably one of the major reasons ETA scrapped the 7753--somone (can't remember which company--last month's Int'l Watch has a sidebar on it) developed a module that didn't create a gigantic date gap and kept the quick set date. The HBB is a 7750 w/ that module--there is a date gap on the gen, but not nearly as noticeable as the asian "7753."

If the tricompax 7750 The Zigmeister sourced is the 7750 w/ the "whatever it is module" it'd be really cool to see pics of it....

I'missing something- The 7753 has the subdials in the correct places without an additional module, so would this not be preferable to a 7750 with an add on module which moves the subdials around??

With the dial layout in the HBB. the 7753 should drop right in.

-O

The datewheel on a 7753 is larger than a 7750 and in a different location, so it won't work.

RG

Ahh- that I get. I thought it was just an issue w the subdials. Thanks for the clarification.

-O

Actually the subdials line up perfectly...but the ETA 7753 is thinner than the Asian quazi-7753...the ETA 7750, 7753, 7754 etc are all the same thickness. If the datewheel was not a big enough problem, the stem not lining up with the case hole would also prevent the upgrade, along with case clamps, etc...

RG

I'missing something- The 7753 has the subdials in the correct places without an additional module, so would this not be preferable to a 7750 with an add on module which moves the subdials around??

Let's say everything lined up perfectly, (which isn't a given) how would you set the date? The 7753 uses a button at 10 o'clock and the HBB has no button there.

Let's say everything lined up perfectly, (which isn't a given) how would you set the date? The 7753 uses a button at 10 o'clock and the HBB has no button there.

Well then I would say the HBB is not using a 7753, but a ETA 7750 Tricompax. Which means that they are using longer post hands for the 12 and running seconds, since the tricompax has these posts well below the dial face, a la V72.

OR...

They use a 7753, but since it has a quickset date switch over gear (not like the 7750) you can change the date quickly by turning the time back past 9 pm, and back to midnight, do this and each time, the date changes...

RG

Found this, which might as well be written in chinese to me but might answer pug's question:

"The Big Bang is powered by a...base ETA 7750...[with the addition of]...Jaquet module 8144, which enables its tricompax subdial configuration and...a quick set date. The movement is extensively decorated in house... [to]...include a circular-grained bottom-plate, polished satin-finish bridges with chamfered edges, black PVD screws and an oscillating weight sporting the Hublot colour scheme, made entirely of Tungsten and given a dimpled finish, also treated in black PVD."

Edits mine.