When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pls name the Dealers that:

AMK000

Sorry, guys. I know of at least one customer of Precious Time who had their watch drop-shipped. :whistling:

My new Omega SMP black showed up today with all the usual "Made, Packaged and Shipped in China" markings. This wasn't a total surprise. I had to remind PT to send me the tracking info. When he e-mailed the number I immediately recognized the format. EMS showed it going from City of Guangzhou, China, through JFK to my house. No side trip to the UK. He was a little more expensive than others I have bought from, so I am not sure if I will use him again.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some members haven't a f****in' clue.......they all listen to hearsay....!

I can vouch categorically that Narikaa inspects every watch regardless of price......how do I know......'cos we sit down together after a buying trip and discuss the relative merits of each and every purchase.......and in the majority of instances his items are hand carried to a very select clientele who are prepared to pay for the personal touch that he birngs to each item.....allied to the fact that his more expensive items don't appear on the board.....why?....simply because they are pre-ordered and he has no need to advertise them here......Narikaa has been collecting and selling reps for as long as I have......and has a wealth of experience......it's just that the board(s) are not his primary revenue source.

As for Grin ( sorry Gran).....well...how can you appreciate QC thru' the bottom of a bottle of Aquavit......!

Sash does the same; and if you are excluding dealers like ruby that are not for "the patient" I would cut TTK.
Once again Catatonic you display your lack of comprehension......the topic at hand is about QC and drop shipping...not about speed of delivery....whilst I'm not the quickest.....( in your case 14 days.....despite your absolutely blatant LIE about it being 7 weeks )......I certainly do offer excellent QC......that much is evident by the lack of returns on the Noobmariner for instance that I have sold for well over 18 months......in excess of 250 sold....and I've had about 8 returns......and they're NOT expensive items.

As for sending a photo of the 'watch' that you are going to receive.....how could you tell.......it's easy for a GZ drop shipper to say...here's a pic of the watch that you've ordered.....doesn't mean that's the one YOU"RE gonna get........!

Narikaa and I stock virtually all our items......the only ones that aren't are those that are ordered from existing stock and that are replenishable...but no item is drop shipped.

@RT......you talk some amount of [censored] at times.....you make assumptions and assertions that have no basis in fact.......!

Regularly sell Mbw and Super-reps,.. ? I have never seen one posted..nor heard about

anyone buying one from you.. but I guess that would be a security issue.. so enough said...

Narikaa does'nt sell Mbw's........he sells MBK's.......just that he and I have a gentleman's agreement about where they are sold.......he regularly buys for his repeat customers in the UK who are non-board members.....hence you won't see a review of an MBW /MBK from him.....as for 'security' issues......nothing to do with that.....it's to do with the fact that there is a world outside of these fora....!

Edited by TTK

QC'ing a watch instead of drop-shipping does help to weed out many DOAs (watches that arrive dead or with serious problems). But after 25 years of experience with reps, I find that most problems occur between 48 hours and 1 month after you receive the watch. And a pre-sale QC is not likely to locate a problem that has not revealed itself yet.

One of my earliest reps, a two tone Datejust and was one of the 1st to be fitted with a 'genuine Swiss ETA' and 'real gold plating' on the bezel & bracelet (which I modded with gen end links & clasp back in the days when you could walk in & buy these from any Rolex AD), which I purchased for the ungodly sum of $225 in 1984. This watch became my daily 'beater' for nearly 10 years and it is still running. The crown tube is stripped, the movement has never been overhauled (and needs it) & it has alot of inaccuracies by today's standards, but it still runs.

268963-4042.jpg

Anyone interested in the history of reps might appreciate this price list I just found from the mail order company I used to purchase reps from in the pre-Web days

268963-4043.jpg

The watch pictured above is the 'L' version of item 201-214 (A = ETA Automatic, Q = quartz, & L = ETA with laser applied gold plating - these L watches were generally considered the highest grade of reps 20 years ago).

Most of the collectors here (at least those I have dealt with) are always willing to exchange a watch that proves to be defective within their warranty period. A good & reliable way to force many mechanical problems to reveal themselves is to follow this procedure with any new watch - rep or gen -- Upon delivery, and before removing all the plastic transport wrapping (in case you need to return it), gently & carefully wind the watch 45 turns and then set the correct time. If the watch has a chrono (stop watch) or other user-controllable complications, start those as well. Set the watch down (dial side up) on a table and let it sit there, without touching it, for 48 hours (or until it stops running). (In the case of a chrono, if the chrono runs for 30 minutes, stop it, reset it and start it again. Let it run for 2 hours and then stop and reset it. Do not restart during the remainder of the 48 hour test.)

268963-4044.jpg

If the watch stops in less than 38-40 hours, I would consider that questionable and ask the seller what he thinks. In most cases, he will probably tell you to repeat the test and see what happens.

If the watch continues to run normally & keeps good time (+/- 6 secs in 24 hours is reasonable for most reps) for about 2 days, it is working properly. Now it is safe to remove the plastic and start wearing your new beauty. But always remember that these ARE reps. And, as such, they are not manufactured to the same quality standards as their gen counterparts. Nor, with a very few exceptions, will they receive the same QC inspection before leaving the factory or seller's hands. Something to keep in mind when the average $200 rep watch craps out a few years after you bought it.

@RT......you talk some amount of [censored] at times.....you make assumptions and assertions that have no basis in fact.......!

Narikaa does'nt sell Mbw's........he sells MBK's.......just that he and I have a gentleman's agreement about where they are sold.......he regularly buys for his repeat customers in the UK who are non-board members.....hence you won't see a review of an MBW /MBK from him.....as for 'security' issues......nothing to do with that.....it's to do with the fact that there is a world outside of these fora....!

As I said,... never heard of or seen one posted.. so where is the s*it ?

However I don't want to get started on you ... and don't think you want that either.... :yawn:

However I don't want to get started on you ... and don't think you want that either..

Wooooo.....where's my comfort blanket....and please Mommy keep the night light on.... big bad D I C K's coming to get me...... :o

Edited by TTK

No drop shipping is absolutely no guarantee for a decent rep or a good QC!

I ordered several watches with several non-dropshipping dealers and all had problems of some sort. The problem is that dealers like PT, Homer and several other non-dropshipping dealers have to order these high-end reps from China. So they themselves depend on people in China to pick out a decent quality rep for them..... which the dealer eventually will offer you.

So let's say the dealer receives the rep from his supplier in China in good condition but it has a small paint spot on the dial or scratched hands?..... do you think A. He sends it back or B. He sells is?

From my experience I can tell you that answer B is the correct answer!

Edited by Rolexman

Some members haven't a f****in' clue.......they all listen to hearsay....!

Narikaa does'nt sell Mbw's........he sells MBK's.......

it should be known that I do regularly sell all levels of replicas from the

From my experience I can tell you that answer B is the correct answer!

Wrong.......my supplier buys in China.....as does Narikaa's......he and I inspect the items before it even makes it into our stock.....so if there's any defects...we don't buy........e:g......he and I both examined the IWC Cousteau's that our supplier had....and rejected all of them....why?....they had swarf on the dial......similar problem to the paint flakes from the inner rotating bezel of the Navitimer...not taking into account the converging verticals at the 12 hour marker......result is that we won't buy until they are right.....a lot of my customers understood my position and are waiting for the right item fully inspected and QC checked....worth waiting for....!

The confusion in all of this is the term drop shipping.....there's a difference between drop shipping and QC inspecting ALL of your stock before it is even offered for sale......so called..."NON" drop shippers.....such as you've mentioned .....whether they are full time drop shippers or drop ship only 50% of the time....or as circumstances dictate......they are still being drop shipped upon...in other words they place their order...just as the customer does and depend upon the local apprentice at the factory to give it a once over....once it's been despatched from GZ....it's more difficult to reject it...therefore the alleged "NON" drop shipper...goes for the soft option..i:e..fobbing it off to the customer...in the hopes that it won't be an issue...and then has to deal with it when it is...hence all the posts...."***** f***ed up my order...but made it right....by sending out a replacement for the wrong dial Big Bang that I ordered.......!

I get a lot of flak on the boards for my attitude and my speed of reply in regard to e-mail......lots of [censored] being kicked around....the one thing you very rarely see is posts that kick up a shitstorm about the quality of the items...or not being as described......and I very rarely ever have to exchange items......replace items lost to Customs or theft...yes....but rarely if ever because an item is cosmetically deficient......same applies to Narikaa....why..?...because in every stage of the process...from uplifting at the supplier.......to handing over the counter at the Post Office.....the items are handled personally by me and me only....same goes for Reg.........THAT my friend is the difference.

Edited by TTK

This is very informative :) and I have no doubts that Neil s priority is to deliver quality items. I have received a number of watches and even a wonderful fountain pen from neil, buying from him has always been a pleasant experience. Neil probably has one of the better QC around, or at least he shows proper pictures of his items and does not try to hide any imperfections in them. If someting is objectively wrong he will fix it (if you ask reasonable politely and dont start treatening him with lawyers etc...). I have seen him post pictures with the famous R10, Lonon and missing screws....these are rare occations thats true but still amusing. In conclusion TTK is a saint.

QC works if the person(s) doing the inspection have detailed knowledge about the watch in question (= TTK). If the person doing the QC is ignorant, tolerates slack or is simply sloppy, such personal inspection does not help much.

g. :)

Edited by Gunnar Gran

I received an Omega Speedmaster X-33 today from Silix which was most definitley not QCd. It has 3 flaws, which, while not glaring to the casual observer, are glaringly obvious to anyone actually scrutinizing the watch (which one would assume QC involves)

1. Only the minute hand is lumed.

2. One of the faux 'screws' in the back of the case is missing. Doesn't bother me that they're not functional, but is does bug me that one is missing.

3. Most serious flaw. The second hand 'sticks' when it is going round. It doesn't do it in the same space every rotation, nor does it necessarily stick on every rotation. But, it does stick incredibly frequently. Sometimes only for a second, sometimes for as long as 10 seconds. As a result, the analogue section looses a considerable amount of time.

How anyone could miss those issues while inspecting the watch, I fail to see... I've emailed to discuss the issues, and hopefully we'll be able to come to a resolution. Other than those flaws, the watch is nice, and perfect for the purpose I intended it. While I would openly admit it did not cost 'Super Rep' prices, it cost considereably more than 'Canal St' watches, so I expected it's standard to be above 'Canal St' quality.

As I can't edit my post to add...

Here's the watch as advertized by Silix...

http://www.watchsilix.com/product.asp?id=812

As people will see, the bracelet clearly has a 'side button' deployant, similar to on an SMP. The bracelet on my watch featured a clasp which operated by a rectangular side button (as seen on Alpha Watches) and had markings reading Omega Seamastei Professional. It also cost me 81 Eur, despite the site advertizing it for 49 Eur. While I am sure Jay will indeed resolve the issues, I can't help but feel that I've been well and truly played for a chump.