When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Are the Swiss Cousteaus Overall Better than the Asians?

Alan_Schezar

Are the Swiss Cousteaus Overall Better than the Asians?

Or is it the same, except for a better movement?

Also, do all the dealers get their watches from the same source? Because I haven't noticed a difference between ones bought from Angus, TT, or Joshua...

I ask because I noticed that the Swiss Cousteau that Richard Lawton showed seemed to have a better alignment of the Day and Date windows... Also seemed to have better lume, but couldn't really tell...

Thanks,

:notworthy:

The only difference is the movement.

I would imagine they all use the same date wheels, due to the font that is used so the alignment might just be down to pure luck. I am sure someone with a better knowledge of how the 7750 works will tell us whether the Swiss would allow for a better alignment, that I am not sure of.

And the dealers all have the same source.

I know the alignment will be better. But it is not perfect on all day/date combinations on gen IWC's either. I was wondering about the fonts as well. In truth standard stock ETA font on my Swiss 7750 movements is closer to the gen than what is on the reps so I am curious as to which they use.

On my genuine 3706 Fleigerchrono the font is as used on a standard Valjoux 7750 as that is the base movement before IWC do there thing to it. I'm guessing the differences are very small. The biggest thing I see is that the date/day apertures appear slightly bigger on a genuine IWC and that gives a better view of the print.

Someone metioned that even if you go for the Asian, you can upgrade it with Swiss ETA later on. I guess it's a good thing.

you can't really just swap the movement from Asian to Swiss since the hand post sizes are different - The Zigmeister posted this a while back. It has been my experience that a properly serviced Asian movement is as good as their Swiss counterparts and in some cases the Swiss movements also need servicing/have issues out of the box. Remember they are being assembled in the same environment the Asian ones are, meaning no QC

I tried on 4 different genuine aquatimers in Athens yesterday, and the chrono also had the same alignment problems... not a huge thing really if the genuine is like that.

I was told the non-chrono has a self-sealing crown for the bezel that can't be turned when immersed in water (I think).