When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Where to get watch resized?

Jumbie

Hi guys, sorry for asking this question. I did a search and the answer seems to be DIY or go to a watch repair person. Obviously not an AD. This is my first rep and my first "expensive watch" so I'd rather have someone experienced remove the links for me before I look into buying some of my own tools in the future.

My "dumb question of the day" is how exactly would I find a watch repair person. I'm in the US by the way. Phonebook (yellow pages) or just a stall/booth at a mall? I always see stalls selling watches (digital or quartz) but I'm wondering if those people there would be qualified to remove links from something as complicated as the Tag Link bracelet. I figure they might not have experience with such watches although I guess a band is a band and once they have the tools on hand, it shouldn't be a problem.

I've downloaded the PDF file so I do have that.

Thanks for any advice.

Two ways to go - an inexpensive link removal tool from Birdman (it looks fairly easy to resize this watch), or the guy at the mall.

You found this pdf on resizing the Tag, yes?

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?act=At...ost&id=1993

Be warned though - the mall people have buggered up more than a few bracelets in their time (one of mine included - although in fairness the PO can be a tough nut). Much happier now that I can just do it when a watch arrives.

I agree with cornerstone. Don't give that bracelet to the dumbasses at the mall. At least not without printed pdf. Learn to resize them yourself, it's not that difficult.

Thanks guys for the warning about the mall folks.

And yes, cornerstone, I did find that guide. :)

Okay, I admit that it doesn't look too bad to resize a bracelet and maybe it isn't a bad idea to invest in some tools for the future although the next watch I plan on buying is likely to have a leather strap.

I've looked at the tool's on birdman's site and also on Ofrei. I have a small screwdriver set already that I bought from RadioShack (for working on my computer) but the smallest flathead screwdriver in there is 1.4mm. I'm guessing that that will be too big, at least for some watches. Should I buy a new jewller's set or will it be okay? Also, I don't quite understand how pin pushers work. Okay, it's not difficult to understand how they work. Rather, it seems that some of the more expensive ones on Ofrei come with several different sizes of pins whereas the cheaper ones just seem to have one size. Also, the blue "value pin pusher" on birdman's site has several bad reviews on Amazon.com where people said it broke after a couple uses. I'm thinking of getting the black link pin remover for $16

http://watchtools4u.com/mcart/index.cgi?code=3&cat=8

with the description of "Essential for removing pins from metal link bands. Made of Keltec II, glass-filled nylon, this unit includes two extra spacers to accommodate all bracelet sizes and two extra pins. The pusher pin is hardened steel."

I know it sounds like I'm asking you guys to "baby me" through this but I honestly don't have a clue about what's the best way to do this and, while I want to spend as least as possible, I don't want to cheap out and get crappy stuff (no offense to birdman) only to need to replace it.

Thanks.

I have the "value" one for what it's worth - seems fine, it gets the pins out - perhaps not as elegantly as a better one, but effective. :)

Thanks cornerstone. As long as it works, I'll be happy. :)

I don't have any fancy tools. Big needle, a small hammer and pliers are everything you need to size ANY pin-bracelet.

Needle? Like sewing needle?

Interesting. Dumb question (yes, again) but pins just simply push out right? So using your needle and hammer, you could remove the links by putting the needle in the link hole (over the pin) and tap it until it come out the other side (of course, ensuring that the other side is free and clear for the link to slide out of) and then remove with the pliers.

Well, my watch is ordered and on the way from Ruby so I guess I'll wait and see when it arrives if I need to get a smaller screwdriver.

Thanks again to the both of you for answering my noob questions.

Actually, By-Tor, seeing as how you have the Tag Link Chrono (great review once again) do you by any chance know the size of the screwdriver you used to take out the screws? Then again, I believe I read on here somewhere that you said you have pretty large wrists, so maybe you didn't remove any. :)

Edited by Jumbie

• 2 weeks later...

I just used a sewing needle and my table to remove the end pins. Pushing down on the bracelet onto the needle, pushes pin out. Finding the right diameter needle helps. Afterwards I took the smallest flat head screwdriver from a dollar store set and went to town. Really darn easy.

I got the micro adjust working with a needle too, but I guess the asian tolerances aren't that great cause shortening it by 1 hole caused massive link rubbing at the micro to the point that it can't fully rotate. Oh well, still a wonderful rep.