When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Mall servicing

phaedo

I got my first Pam a couple of weeks ago, but when it arrived it would stop for no reason on me - not due to it needing winding, I thought the hands must have been brushing or something. Anyway, I took it to a local place at the mall to have them look at it - they said they would service it. Got it back a week later, so not a bad turnaround time. But.... I hope it was serviced well, because there are a few bits they could have done better. It runs properly now, which is a good thing, so they must have fixed that problem. Now for the bad bits. They got black cloth particles on the inside of the crystal, which is annoying, but what makes me concerned they may not have done a great job was - wait for it - they put the CG back in upside down! The lever lifts from the bottom now. Not sure I should take it back to them about the dust if they screw something simple like the CG up.

But now for the next problem... Thinking about which Pam to get next :g:

If I was in your position, I'd go back, politely point out the problems, and ask them to clean inside the crystal and to put the crown guard back on the right way. I've never handled a Panerai, so I can't comment on how easy they are to disassemble compared to an Omega or a Rolex, but those are very easy watches to open up and clean the crystal. As long as you don't go in calling them incompetant morons, I'm sure they'd be prepared to correct things (which where, afterall, their mistakes) Best of luck :)

Easy mistake to make, to be honest. I'd guess they don't get as many Panerais as other watches. Yours may have been the first they've had in their hands.

Probably was, the guy that took it from me wrote it was a 'luminor' on the order. It is just a bit frustrating, in that I had them waterproof it, so opening it up to clean on my own may mean that is no longer the case. Refitting the CG is easy enough of course.

Oh, the joys of not being able to have servicing done at the AD!