When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Guess I'll need a new internet ID

predfan2001

It has been "predfan2001" for years. Now the word is that the owner of the Nashville Predators has sold the team to the owner of the company that makes Blackberry phones. Most people feel he'll move the team. That's a real bummer. I have been a big fan. Guess I'll have to start watching the Titans again. :yucky:

Well even if he doesn't move the team 'The Nashville Berries' just doesn't have the same ring to it. :whistling:

Ken

Being a lifelong Boston Bruins fan, I can see where your coming from Predfan. As of late our team has sucked so badly that we have a hard time filling a 16k seat arena. Ive been to a few Predators games in the past in Nashville while Im there on business. The fans there love the Preds' and its a shame that they might move them. Hockey, unfortunately is not what it once was in this country and smaller market teams like Nashville, and Columbus might get swallowed up and moved to areas that will fill the seats. What we need is a championship to bring back the excitment.

This guy hasnt made a decision yet if he will move them, correct?

Maybe Nashville fans can start a grassroots movement to keep them there.

Best of luck

I can relate. Ole' SillyBalls tried to buy my hometown team very recently. The rumor was that he wanted to move the team to Hamilton, but when the NHL wouldn't give him a right-to-move clause in the buy, he pulled out. Consequently, the Penguins are now locked in for at least another 30 years, so they're not going anywhere anytime soon.

The reason he couldn't get a right-to-move was due to the fact that there is great corporate support, as well as ticket sales in Pittsburgh. I read that Nashville does NOT have very good corporate support, and that they're only selling 14k tickets per game on average. Is this true? If it is, he'll be able to move the team and the only way to keep that from happening is to get the local business community to support the team. Without that, even selling out every game wouldn't be enough.

Good luck, man. I've been through this and it's no fun. Pittsburgh fans are rooting for ya!

SR

I can relate. Ole' SillyBalls tried to buy my hometown team very recently. The rumor was that he wanted to move the team to Hamilton, but when the NHL wouldn't give him a right-to-move clause in the buy, he pulled out. Consequently, the Penguins are now locked in for at least another 30 years, so they're not going anywhere anytime soon.

The reason he couldn't get a right-to-move was due to the fact that there is great corporate support, as well as ticket sales in Pittsburgh. I read that Nashville does NOT have very good corporate support, and that they're only selling 14k tickets per game on average. Is this true? If it is, he'll be able to move the team and the only way to keep that from happening is to get the local business community to support the team. Without that, even selling out every game wouldn't be enough.

Good luck, man. I've been through this and it's no fun. Pittsburgh fans are rooting for ya!

SR

The latest word is that if Nashville can keep a fan turn out of 14k per game, they can't be moved. We almost did that last season. Maybe with the hype of wanting to keep the team here and the excitement over a few veteran players aquired last season, it might happen.

I heard about the Pittsburg deal, I'm sure everybody there was relieved.

It has been "predfan2001" for years. Now the word is that the owner of the Nashville Predators has sold the team to the owner of the company that makes Blackberry phones. Most people feel he'll move the team. That's a real bummer. I have been a big fan. Guess I'll have to start watching the Titans again. :yucky:

Would that make you a titfan? :p:lol:

Dude, its hockey (unless you are from Canada of course). :lol: Although I must confess that I grew up with the Bruins in the Orr, Espo, Cheevers and Sanderson era. Heck, players didn't wear helmets and even Eddie Giacomo on the Rangers wasn't even wearing a facemask. When men were men...

But I do feel your pain if you have been a rabid supporter. Pick a new sport with a team in Nashville. But the real moral of the story is not to get too attached. These athletes are professional and they are there for the money.

Hockey is my favourite sports to watch, and besides our own leagues I watch NHL regularly through cable here in Europe. NHL is probably the best and toughest sports league in the world, and frankly I think Americans should respect the sport more. Unlike baseball and NFL stars (that nobody has ever heard of outside the States) hockey players are internationally known.

Of course they can't be compared to the soccer stars, but NHL still gets quite a lot of coverage in places like Switzerland, Scandinavian countries, Russia and eastern Europe.

My favourite NHL teams are the Bruins, New York Rangers and Chicago Blackhawks. Don't ask me why... I guess I support them because they're all traditional teams. I also like the Flyers and their rough style of play (which unfortunately has been pretty much non-existant during the last years).

I used to play a little bit of junior hockey when I was a kid. I still try to play with my friends as often as I can.

My favourite to win the Cup finals is Anaheim (rather than Ottawa). It would be nice to see the Cup going to Canada though... but I support the Ducks because of Teemu Selanne. I've met him once... he's one of the classiest guys in the sport... and it would be great if he won the Cup before he retires.

Edited by By-Tor

I wish I'd find some footage of the legendary "Challenge Cup" between CCCP and the NHL Stars. Vladimir Myshkin was the goalie... and the CCCP team totally spanked the Canadians/Americans in those two games.

I'm not a huge fan of many things that come from Russia, but their hockey team back in the 70'S and 80'S was something incredible. First Harlamov-Petrov-Mihailov... and later Krutov-Makarov-Larionov. I think Larionov still plays in the Red Wings (or at least retired just a while ago).