When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Wore my UPO in the Gulf of Mexico and a 10' pool, and it rocked!

diver_dylan

Not much more to say. Swam for the past 2 days like a mofo w/it on the whole time. No hint of moisture/nada.

I LOVE this watch!

D

Hmmm all this posts i read with people swimming with their UPOs , just makes me so eager not to take mine off when i go to watter but the thought of the fake he valve just stops me at the last sec.

Need to get that checked at some watchmaker at 3ATM before i get it wet.

regards laz

Edited by lazarini

Here's what I did to waterproof all 3 of my UPO's and all 3 held up.

1. Use needle nose pliers to tighten the case back.

2. Use needle nose pliers and a chamoi cloth to tighten down the HE valve.

3. Hand tightened (not overly so) the crown before entering the water.

Just make sure the watch is completely dried before unscrewing the crown at all.

Good luck. It will fail eventually and your replica will be ruined. It only has to happen once.

Sorry!!! This is an example of the two distinct camps in both genuine and replica watch collectors, those who wear them into battle and those who don't. No arguments supporting your decision to dunk it necessary. I understand the logic. I have been beaten down by bad experience. In 30 years of wearing replicas and genuines in water, I have had some remarkably unpredictable failures. Water infiltration into a watch is best characterized by the phrase "one oh s*%t wipes out a thousand 'atta boys."

I never wear a watch that has any kind of value attached to it, intrinsic, sentimental or rarity as in a replica, into water anymore. Lost too many good mechanical friends.

Well, I had an ETA GMT2 that I swam with for YEARS. So they dont ALL fail. I dont swim so much anymore, so this one wont be put to the same test. I dont see it failing though. I really do appreciate your input/experience. I wouldnt, however, consider swimming with any of my Pannys. The lever/crown/gasket contact never inspired confinence for me.

thanks!

D

Good luck. It will fail eventually and your replica will be ruined. It only has to happen once.

Sorry!!! This is an example of the two distinct camps in both genuine and replica watch collectors, those who wear them into battle and those who don't. No arguments supporting your decision to dunk it necessary. I understand the logic. I have been beaten down by bad experience. In 30 years of wearing replicas and genuines in water, I have had some remarkably unpredictable failures. Water infiltration into a watch is best characterized by the phrase "one oh s*%t wipes out a thousand 'atta boys."

I never wear a watch that has any kind of value attached to it, intrinsic, sentimental or rarity as in a replica, into water anymore. Lost too many good mechanical friends.

I'm just suffering from post traumatic stress. My wife gave me a beautiful 200m rated watch for our wedding and I fogged it on our honneymoon playing in the surf. It never worked well after that dispite servicing.

I ruined 3 beautiful 150M rated watches in water before I learned the difference between a push in and screw down crown. I learned the hard way that a 150M rated watch can be breached by one dive into a pool. I had a beautiful 100M Bulova that I wore for 7 years fogged by swinging from a vine into a friend's pond.

And then there was that 200m Seiko that fogged from sweat cutting the grass one day...

My Genuine SMP Chronograph never gets near the shower.

Come to think of it, Ive gotten every watch Ive ever owned (100+ gens/reps) wet. The ONLY one that even slightly fogged up was a vintage Seiko Bullhead I had, but I really shouldnt have tried with that one. Youre scared to get a GENUINE Omega wet? WOW. You really do have some serious PTSD!

All the best bud,

D

I'm just suffering from post traumatic stress. My wife gave me a beautiful 200m rated watch for our wedding and I fogged it on our honneymoon playing in the surf. It never worked well after that dispite servicing.

I ruined 3 beautiful 150M rated watches in water before I learned the difference between a push in and screw down crown. I learned the hard way that a 150M rated watch can be breached by one dive into a pool. I had a beautiful 100M Bulova that I wore for 7 years fogged by swinging from a vine into a friend's pond.

And then there was that 200m Seiko that fogged from sweat cutting the grass one day...

My Genuine SMP Chronograph never gets near the shower.

Youre scared to get a GENUINE Omega wet? WOW. You really do have some serious PTSD!

Absolutely,....actually, I'm more frightened a $0.20 springbar is going to fail on my $2400 watch sending it to the bottom than anything else.

I might need some desensitization therapy!

I've got this 42mm PO that has become my "water watch". Its withstood many baths, showers, hot tubbings, swims, with never a hint of leakage. It's not the most accurate of reps, but its got a 2824 inside and has been regulated. I'm sure my UPO would work well, but why bother. One swimming watch is really all I need!

254624-6665.jpg

Guest lcdr2007

Thats why now I travel with 2-3 watches. One or two for sporting around town, but when its time for the beach or the pool out comes the Suunto Yachtsman or a Luminox. Not quite so impressive looking but if they fail after water use, at least I can't blame myself!