When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vintaged Seamasters

predfan2001

I'm sure that I read a post here a month or so back where someone asked opinions on "vintaging" Seamasters. I can't find it now, but I don't think many (if any) posted opinions on this issue. I thought that it was an interesting idea. The current Seamasters are old enough now that seeing one "well worn" would be a possibility. I was on the net trying to buy gens when I ran across these two watches. Granted they are a previous generation but they kind of make me wonder if a vintaged SMP rep might be a fun project. Heck, some of the Rolex guys think a vintaged "red" is cool, why not a SMP?

254943-6643.jpg

254943-6644.jpg

Most of the vintage SMP's are very affordable. You can buy the gens for reasonable prices, so there's not huge demand for the reps. There are some exceptions though.

Buying those vintage Seamasters might be a good investment right now.

I'm sure that I read a post here a month or so back where someone asked opinions on "vintaging" Seamasters. I can't find it now, but I don't think many (if any) posted opinions on this issue. I thought that it was an interesting idea. The current Seamasters are old enough now that seeing one "well worn" would be a possibility. I was on the net trying to buy gens when I ran across these two watches. Granted they are a previous generation but they kind of make me wonder if a vintaged SMP rep might be a fun project. Heck, some of the Rolex guys think a vintaged "red" is cool, why not a SMP?

255513-6555.jpg

255513-6556.jpg

That could well have been me. I've previously asked about vintaging. I accidentally vintaged the dial of my 2531.80 project watch by leaving it under a daylight lamp for a few hours...

I have started to notice that some of the older gen. SMPs I have seen have started to show heavy yellowing of the markers and pearls. When I saw the picture of the previous generation SMP (the top one) it reminded me of some of the vintage gen Subs I have seen.

I've always thought that if I had a "rough" genuine Submariner, there's no way that I would restore the dial, band and bezel. That just adds character.

Over the past 10 years, I have become a huge Omega fan and I actually like the size and feel of a SMP better than a Sub. I've been "vintaging" a few Rolex reps but unfortunatly if you want a quality vintage Rolex rep, you have to start with a MBW. Sorry but I'm not spending that much on a rep to modify. By the time you buy a MBW and all of the needed genuine parts, you'd have as much invested as you could buy a gen. used SMP. I know it's all a matter of opinion, but I have owned both and I like the Omegas better. I'm at the point anymore that I almost dread wearing my gen Datejust, the first thing out of everyones mouth is "is that a real one?"

I have a rep ETA UPO and a couple asian GMTs, but I am really wanting to get a Bond style SMP and "vintage" it some to give it some character. Yellow the markers, bleach the insert and give the bracelet some patina. I figure I'd start with an ETA SMP, maybe from Silix so I'd have no more than $180.00 or so invested.

Mainly just wanted to let who ever post this topic before that "I'm with ya". I think it's a good idea and would be an interesting project. I may do it soon and if I do, I'll post pics. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I have started to notice that some of the older gen. SMPs I have seen have started to show heavy yellowing of the markers and pearls. When I saw the picture of the previous generation SMP (the top one) it reminded me of some of the vintage gen Subs I have seen.

I've always thought that if I had a "rough" genuine Submariner, there's no way that I would restore the dial, band and bezel. That just adds character.

Over the past 10 years, I have become a huge Omega fan and I actually like the size and feel of a SMP better than a Sub. I've been "vintaging" a few Rolex reps but unfortunatly if you want a quality vintage Rolex rep, you have to start with a MBW. Sorry but I'm not spending that much on a rep to modify. By the time you buy a MBW and all of the needed genuine parts, you'd have as much invested as you could buy a gen. used SMP. I know it's all a matter of opinion, but I have owned both and I like the Omegas better. I'm at the point anymore that I almost dread wearing my gen Datejust, the first thing out of everyones mouth is "is that a real one?"

I have a rep ETA UPO and a couple asian GMTs, but I am really wanting to get a Bond style SMP and "vintage" it some to give it some character. Yellow the markers, bleach the insert and give the bracelet some patina. I figure I'd start with an ETA SMP, maybe from Silix so I'd have no more than $180.00 or so invested.

Mainly just wanted to let who ever post this topic before that "I'm with ya". I think it's a good idea and would be an interesting project. I may do it soon and if I do, I'll post pics. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I know what you mean, I prefer Omegas over Rolex, because as you say, the size and feel is better. I like the sound of your vintaging project, best of luck with it :) How were you planning on yellowing the markers?