When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

About those PAM SS Bracelets

OK, so I'm on a bus from South Beach to Surfside, and there is this really annoying bloke sitting across from me, and I notice he is wearing a 196. At first, I could not tell whether gen or rep. Then he turned his wrist, and saw the non-tapered bracelet, and it was then that the jig was up.

I have a 196 w Swiss 7753, and I have worn it around my friends who have gen Pans- now keep in mind they are not fanatical, and I doubt that they are as aware of the level of reps that are coming out of some of our sources- but NONE of them ever thought mine was a rep (I did ultimately tell them.)

The 196 is one of the best around in terms of overall accuracy (at least untill the most recent case revisions which really screw it up.) Unless you got real close to the dial, nobody would ever call it UNLESS they saw the steel band, which does not taper. This is in my estimate the biggest tell.

Once I have the new hands and crown, I don't really think anyone will give it s second look- and that is without changing the date wheel- plenty of my friends have seen photos of Panerai, some own Panerai, but I am pretty confident that none of my friends know what font is used on the date.

Put your 196 on a top quality leather strap (White stitched croc if you're like me!) with some good quality screws, and you will be set!

-O

Do you have any pictures of what this gen taper should look like? I wasn't able to find any... The pictures of the full watch I've seen don't really show the clasp up close, but the side views didn't seem to show any taper.

Also, is it possible that there were in fact gen bracelets that didn't taper?

How do you know it wasn't a rep bracelet on a genuine watch ?

It's like someone on here ordered the IWC Aquatimer because he was quoted 1k for a genuine IWC bracelet...

I just bought the 192 over the 196. I think If I ever saw anyone wear a 192 I would assume rep. The watch is pretty rare and @ $20k. But, I loved the look so much I don;t care. I wouldn't even try to pass it off. The 196 w/ 7753 is next on my list

Here you can see the taper in the genuine (24/22) compared to the rep (24/24) bracelet...

Many genuine owners will purchase the 'aftermarket bracelet, being $2-3000 cheaper than the genuine.

Another reason is that the genuine bracelet will not fit on non-bracelet models without purchasing the adapter, which is around $300...

The case design is different on genuine bracelet models compared to strap models. There are tabs on the gen bracelet's end links that fit into grooves in the case.

27702-547.jpg

How do you know it wasn't a rep bracelet on a genuine watch ?

It's like someone on here ordered the IWC Aquatimer because he was quoted 1k for a genuine IWC bracelet...

After noticing the bracelet, I stealthily and strategically positioned myself to take a better look. It was a rep. There are so many gens in Miami, that if I had not noticed the bracelet, I would have simply assumed it to be gen.

-O