When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Look what just came in! My PAM 029 2893!

sye46

From EL.... haven't even worn it yet. initial thoughts:

watch is sturdy and heavy... the gmt hands can be manually moved and is in sync with the hour hand. I can't manually change the date, so I had to wind it up to the date (I wonder is the is also part of the gen)?

but the dial is gorgeous, and the leather band definately needs to be changed. the paperwork is a nice touch.. and so is the nylon strap. I'm gonna open it up and check out the movement. will post pics

awesome! way to go EL!

post-1372-1145322781_thumb.jpg

Edited by sye46

Yes it does. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I cant wait to get mine from EL.

On the GMT jumbing hour issue. I am a bit confused now.

I was under the impression that on the gen 2893 that true but on the asia copies of this movement the GMT moves along with the hour hand (it does not jumb).

At least this is what it does with my RX GMT from River.

River sold it to me with 2893 movement and the GMT hand does not jumb !!!!! (... unless if it does not have a 2893 movement inside <_< ).

I will check it now.

does the gmt function on the 029 work just like the one on the rolex gmt2?

i read a write up on how the gmt function works on the gmt2... but forgot most of it... i have pretty crappy memory... but i remember something about setting the gmt hand to actual greenwich mean time... and somehow... when you are in another country....you adjust the bezel or something...and you can tell the time in that country... need to go find that write up again.

I just got mine from EL only 1 hour ago.

Overall impresssion: It looks great.

Nice detail from EL the velcro strap. :)

Now on the techi issues: <_<

- Crown guard lever: loose

- GMT hand: 20 mins out of sync with the main hour hand.

Watch will stay under test for few days (not even a sec of a wrist time ----- I hate that part).

If not improves , I will check it with EL and most likely it will go back.

I hate to have a GMT hand that is out of sync. :angry:

Edited by AMK000

Well , did I said 20 mins behind ??

Its more like 23 to 25 mins behind.

My local time is 14:23.

I am 2 hours in advance of the GMT time.

The GMT hand (on mine) shows right now "12" (sharp) instead of pointing in the middle between the "12" hour mark (as per bezel) and the " ' " next mark (as per bezel - indicating 13:00) hours.

When the local time was 13:00, the GMT hand instead of be dead locked on the " ' " (11:00 hour mark as per bezel) , was in the middle between the "10" hour mark and next the " ' " mark (11:00 hours)

I have absolutely no way to get in sync. :angry:

Changing the GMT independently (one click out) is 23 mins behind.

Changing the GMT along with the main hand (two clicks out) it is still 23 mins behind.

Am I doing something wrong here ???? :unsure:

As far as I know the GMT hand on the 2893 mov should maintain the relation of the local minutes too ??

Correct ????

Edited by AMK000

Hey Amk,

Try this; Set your time to 6 O'clock.

Then go for the gmt hand independent setting position,.. and slowly turn the crown,

you will notice that sometimes it will get stuck between, to at times go too far,

this is normal on a new engine... the gears need to be moved and lubricated,..

keep turning slow until it lines up perfectly, then it should be fine.

Let me know what happens.

Hey Amk,

Try this; Set your time to 6 O'clock.

Then go for the gmt hand independent setting position,.. and slowly turn the crown,

you will notice that sometimes it will get stuck between, to at times go too far,

this is normal on a new engine... the gears need to be moved and lubricated,..

keep turning slow until it lines up perfectly, then it should be fine.

Let me know what happens.

Thanks Rich ,

I am trying now. I will let you know.

BTW: EL already replied to my email (fast and good as always). He suguests (with different words) something similar).

I will the watch under test for a couple of days - fully winded all the times.

Hope that the lube thing inside does its work (as you said new engine roll out).

I hate to have to send it back a watch as beatiful as this !!!!

On the GMT jumbing hour issue. I am a bit confused now.

I was under the impression that on the gen 2893 that true but on the asia copies of this movement the GMT moves along with the hour hand (it does not jumb).

At least this is what it does with my RX GMT from River.

River sold it to me with 2893 movement and the GMT hand does not jumb !!!!! (... unless if it does not have a 2893 movement inside ).

I have a 2893 EXP II from River. The GMT hand "jumps" when the 24-hour hand is set independently. When not being set, the GMT hand tracks smoothly with the watch on 24-hour time (one full rotation per day).

Let us know how your PAM 029 works out. I am expecting an 063 from EL. He said they would go out next week after the 029s. I love the 2893 movement.

Climb on.

An update on my PAM 29.

After 24 hours of run the situation has not improved.

The GMT hand cannot be set to 00 minutes difference with the main hour hand. It loos like it is "hardcoded" to 25 mins difference with the main hour hand. So its always out of sync.

I have spoke to EL (he is a great dealer as always) and he replace it.

Just received my 029 this morning!!! I was in the shower when the postman knocked... I had a feeling it was the 029 so I rushed out in a towel to sign for it... :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Beautiful watch!!! My GMT hand is in sync as well! Can't wait to wear it... now I just need a new strap... the strap on it is not THAT bad though.... in my opinion...

one thing i never knew... the cyclops on the 029 is actually on the INSIDE of the watch??? :blink: