When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help with removing mechanism

I know very little about watches, but have recently purchased an Ikepod Hemipode replica. The quality and detail are fairly poor so I wanted to see if I could modify the face.

I have followed tutorials on this forum to remove the crown and rotor, but the mechanism won’t come out! The case appears to be in two sections, so maybe the inner casing is removed to access the mechanism and face – however I don’t have a clue how to remove it. There is a small hole in the casing below where the strap would be, could this release the face somehow?

As I’ve said, I’m not too good with watches so I’d appreciate it if anybody could look at the 2 photos and give any suggestions! Thanks.

Ok I'm going to venture a guess here, I think the dial and movement come out through the front, can that line running around the top be a seam of a threaded screw down bezel?

Try grasping the top above the seam line with your right hand and the bottom with your left hand hand and twisting so that your right hand is turning anti clockwise.

Lets me know how it goes.

Ken

Maybe its a similar set up to the 1950 where it comes out the front as the dial seems to be holding it in place. Try using a blade along the joint around the top ans see if the crystal pops off.

*edit, Sorry ken not copying just slow at typing!

Edited by Bazz

I've clamped the bottom half and tried to unscrew the top, but can't get a decent grip! A scalpel doesn't loosen the glass or metal - I might try to get one of those suction wrenches designed to remove the casing off of ebay (they're only cheap!) and see if that helps. Thanks for the advice, I'll keep trying!

Scalpel :wallbash:

Maybe this is not the best watch to start tampering with and follow Kens advice and wait for instructions from The Zigmeister, rbj or the like :)

Gran :help:

I know very little about watches, but have recently purchased an Ikepod Hemipode replica.

Google says "First unique thing about the Hemipode is definitely its case. It's shaped more or less like an M & M (or like a Smartie for us Euros). It's aso-called monocoque construction, that means it doesn't have a separate back but a hardly visible bezel that can be unscrewed with a special tool, so access to the movement is from the top."

I am following advice from the 'newbie forum', and reposting this question here. I have a replica Ikepod Hemipode that is not very realistic. I would like to modify the face, but can't get the mechanism out. I have removed the crown and rotor, but the mechanism and face appear to be removed through the front - I guess the case is in 2 parts, as shown in the photo of the front of the watch. There doesn't appear to be any screws, only a small hole on the back of the case where the strap should be.

Could you please check the photos and see if you can work out how the face and glass is removed, as I'm stuck! Thanks for your time.

post-1525-1145361008_thumb.jpg

post-1525-1145361018_thumb.jpg

post-1525-1145361028_thumb.jpg

post-1525-1145361039_thumb.jpg

post-1525-1145361137_thumb.jpg

I've tried rubber gloves, a suction-type watch back remover and all of the force I can gather, but it won't budge! The mechanism and face do not seem to be attatched to the casing at all - they are loosely held in place by being clamped between the 2 parts of casing. Any other suggestions would be helpful, it's proving to be much more difficult than I'd expected!

• 3 weeks later...

It turns out that the hole concealed by the strap allows for the front to be released (simply by tapping with a nail). I removed the glow-in-the-dark indicators carefully with a nail varnish remover, and the yellow hands on the sub-dials were removed and sprayed. The dial still says Hempode when it's a copy of a Hemipode, and everything is slightly in the wrong position. To be honest, the watch is so far off, it was a pointless task but I learnt a fair amount in the process (regarding the mechanism, and what not to do!).

I've got a genuine case and strap on the way, ideally over the next few months I'll be able to source some parts to make a genuine one - presumably this is what you guys refer to as a frankenwatch? The movement is an ETA 7750, I'm not sure whether to go with an Asian movement until I can afford the real thing, or wait and save for the face, movement and crown as one item (this will require a lot of saving!).

Anyway, I've included the pictures if anybody's interested and hopefully I'll be able to get more involved in the forums to increase my poor knowledge...

post-1525-1147298613_thumb.jpg

post-1525-1147298623_thumb.jpg

post-1525-1147298634_thumb.jpg