When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

OEM Collectors Here?

eunomians

I started this hobby only this year. Uptil then I had a second hand 10yr old+ rollie datejust. Then the bug hit me and I now have 3 more gens (a GP Seahawk, a Corum chrono, and a Chopard). I had myself 4 reps, but like mentioned by others, I wanted quality/accuracy to quantty. So I sold all but my MBW DRSD which is slightly modded (more to be done later). I am also looking into the 008.

1 gen Piaget, 1 gen Glycine KMU48, 3 gen Seiko Kinetic (all dead), about 15 PAM reps, 1 AP RO rep, and a bunch of low-end different reps (Polex, PP, JLC, Bulgari, Lacoste etc).

Like many who have posted in this thread, lots of fast excited replica collecting got me interested in watches just a couple of years ago, but, after acquiring the WIS knowledge from all the rep. & gen forums, it is all gen now with the occasional rep. purchase to feel how the gen. would be on the wrist after a period of time rather than a remorseful quick purchase at an AD. I'm at the end of my career so watches for show no longer appeal or make sense. I buy watches mainly for the appreciation of the mechanical art now, as it should be, rep. or genuine.

8 reps, 4 gens now wanting a 1675 gen and 8 additional reps on my list... Quality over quantity. Best rep is the MBW DRSD (now sourcing a gen movement for it but it will always be a rep) and great white. I love the ferrari rep. Best gen so far is my IWC Porsche design based 7750.

I love modding reps... gens you just buy and wear... modding is the big part of the fun...

I've been collecting watches since I was 14.... now, quite some time later... I probably own 60+ gens, from Seiko to Breitling, another 25 or so Swatch (from the days when plastic was fantastic...) and maybe 20 reps. After a couple of low-end reps through the years... I started getting into quality reps in 2005.

I am fairly sure that I will continue to dwell in both worlds but there is one thing I really enjoy about the rep-scene: I am more actively involved - the first watch I opened was a rep. I bought tools and since then learned (sometimes the hard way) to do little repairs and mods, which is tons of fun. In retrospect, probably the only reason for doing so was the lack of rep-friendly watchmakers in my neighborhood. I couldn't have been the fear of ruining an expensive piece... as some of my reps cost more than some of the gen I own.

I also enjoy sharing my addiction and hobby with great people from all over the world :thumbsupsmileyanim: