When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Do you send your new reps in for movement servicing?

rek001

Hi, everyone - I know this has been asked before, on the old RWG but I thought it would be good to get an updated response on this.

How many of you right away send out to The Zigmeister or Joe, or your own watchsmith your brand new rep for preventive servicing of the movement - cleaning, oiling and regulating? I'm talking about just the standard ETAs found in the Subs, Yachtmasters etc. We talk so much about perfecting the appearance of our watches with mods but there isn't much talk about movement servicing, other than the asian 7750s.

I've had PMs done to a few of my reps a long time ago, but that kind of fell by the wayside.

Today I was thinking about my new reps (5 this year) and how much I've paid for them, and beginning to worry that maybe I should get them serviced, remebering what The Zigmeister has told us about the condition he finds some new movements. I know he services his reps as soon as he gets them.

rek001

Your question was on the standard ETA 2836/2824 if I understood it correctly.

I have a fairly large collection of ETA reps, have never had one serviced and none with any problems.

I am fully aware that a point in the future they will need servicing, but to service a non complicated movement that is working properly (especially a rep), does not make sense to me. (Unless you want to do it yourself for the sake of furthering you hobby)

In the first place, the price of a replacement movement is well under the price of a full service, keep in mind that many of us can and do swap movements in their reps, if you don't feel comfortable in doing so, maybe by the time you buy a new movement and pay someone to install it, well a service may make sense. Besides, most of us get tired of a single rep and either rotate or buy a new watch well before a service is in order.

I have a minimum of trouble with movements, probably because I tend to stay away from the problem and unproven movements.

The only watches I've had serviced are my DW's- One was purchased pre-serviced, and the other was one I sent directly to RG.

On my 2836-2 based MBW vintages, I tend to swap the movements out with slower beat ETAs to better emulate the 19800bph Rolex 1570/5 calibers. Since my replacement movements are brand new, I'll wait to service those.

Out with the old:

29070-282.jpg

In with the new:

29070-283.jpg

:lol:

I never had to this point, usually got a feel of the watch upon receipt and could most times

guess if it was a keeper, one to let my sons wear, or in rare cases, a send back...

Even so, out of many, only one, that my teen sons have banged around for years has died

to this point, and that was due to water damage and his use of a table top to remove it.

However now I am sending my 7753 into The Zigmeister, not for the movement, but for misaligned parts

that react with the date functions which lead to a problem with the chrono hand as well...

I will also request a lube job....

If I would have done this in the beginning it would have been cheaper however...so take

a risk and pay a price..and the 7753 is no watch to take chances with, in my opinion due

to the investment it takes to obtain one, not to mention the beautiful watch it comes in.. :D

In the future,.. I can't say at this point,.. as I do have another 7750 Asian coming my way..

which to this point I have had great luck with, even without servicing... as I do not use them

for daily wear,.. as I feel that if you keep a decent size collection at least seven watches..

you can spead the wear around.

I do recommend servicing however for those that do not put on the kid gloves that reps require,

and work around stalls that could become permanent damage.

Something that I have learned to do quite well over the years.

There is a valid point to not servicing 2824/2836 movements. But here is why I do it. It is nice to have them as regulated as possible. But more importantly everything is cleaned, dusted and properly sealed against the elements. And other than relume, if appropriate, all the other things are included when it is serviced. IMHO, any watch that you are paying more than $200 deserves a service. The lower cost ones I do nothing. When they die, they die. :)

Thanks much for your (ahem) mostly helpful responses, guys. (Would cooking spray Pam work just as welll as WD40?)

Anyway, it looks like the majority just let 'em run until they die, then replace movement, but, I kinda like Kruzer's philosophy also.

@Nanuq: I'd like to see a picture of your genuine Bond Sub in this same photo setup. I really like how the flames add contrast and character to the picture.

Could be so kind and arrange that for me? Thank you in advance for your courtesy and co-operation.

By-Tor

Edited by By-Tor

On my 2836-2 based MBW vintages, I tend to swap the movements out with slower beat ETAs to better emulate the 19800bph Rolex 1570/5 calibers. Since my replacement movements are brand new, I'll wait to

Hi Randy, I can source in madrid golden eta 2836-2, with tissot engraved on the rotor.

They are priced at 90 euros. Yours isn´t 2836-2. yours is 21 jewels. Would that helps to slow the beat frecuency for vintage models?

The simple answer is to simply unscrew the caseback and shoot a little WD-40 in there.

NOT!!! Seriously... don't do it.

You didn't already do it, did you?

uh-ohhhhhh... :o

Cryptic tales from Artic Disturbia....or just uncle Bob?

29213-250.jpg

29213-251.jpg

i say get your movments service only to the ones u like alot or your keepers and or spent money on modding , sort of like protectiing your investment imho