When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Layover in Bangkok - 8 hours

Usil

I am traveling to Jakarta and returning through Bangkok next week. Unfortunately, there is no opportunity to extend for a day and travel the rep dealers. BUT, I do have an 8 hour layover at the airport on a Saturday in Bangkok.

Is there anywhere close that will easily get me to an area selling reps and return by taxi so I have no issues meeting my flight departure. I get in on Saturday at 4:15 pm and leave at midnight.

Also, getting a taxi at the airport is no problem but getting one for the way back - is that an issue?

Usil

I am traveling to Jakarta and returning through Bangkok next week. Unfortunately, there is no opportunity to extend for a day and travel the rep dealers. BUT, I do have an 8 hour layover at the airport on a Saturday in Bangkok.

Is there anywhere close that will easily get me to an area selling reps and return by taxi so I have no issues meeting my flight departure. I get in on Saturday at 4:15 pm and leave at midnight.

Also, getting a taxi at the airport is no problem but getting one for the way back - is that an issue?

Usil

errrrr getting anywhere and back in Krung Thep is an issue

Yes, I may be classified as nuts - when my wife sees the reps bill this month.

But I thought it would be fun to see all those reps layed out in one place. No, I don't want to risk the flight doing this and that is why I asked to see if this is at all possible that might be near the airport.

Usil

well..for 8 hours ?...i donno how far is the nearest reps market..someone from thailand should help him...consider the time...its more than worth for looking for...and i dont think you will spend that 8 hours looking at watches....so its maybe can work out smooth for you ...

Just been to Bangkok last month, the place where you could get replica watches is a shopping centre called MBK and I think it is about 60 to 90 minutes from the airport. It's a huge 7 storey shopping haven and most reps are found on the 3rd and 4th floor. The cheaper reps are on display but they have a brochure of reps that they keepthe better quality reps hidden. Those with japanese auto movement costs about 3000 bath but Panerai with swiss movements can cost up to 12000 bath. Didn't buy any as the prices aren't that much cheaper than those being offerred at Silixprime but you get to feel the watches.

Traffic is bad in Bangkok anyday at anytime but there are toll highways above the normal roads from the airport to the city that would help cut down travelling time in a taxi. A possible solution is to take the motorcycle taxi from MBK (loads) to the airport...quicker!

Guest samir

you could go to Patpong night market in Silom road in the city, it opens at 6pm on weekends. its about half an hour in a meter taxi from airport for about 100baht. make sure he puts it on when you leave the airport or it will go up when you have arrived. despite what people say,its not a problem getting across Bangkok, i have driven it many times even in rush hour. At the market, if you talk nice and you don't look like a police informant, (keep your flight ticket handy it may help convince the sellers you are not a grass.) you can get the market dealers to take you to their secret stock rooms nearby to their stall. most are in storerooms inside or above legitimate shops. you will find some nice pieces. they are not on open display on the market. you will need to barter and usually a third of what they ask is good starting point. don't get angry whilst doing this, disinterested is better, smile a lot, and try to enjoy the buying experience. The Thais see all westerners as walking wallets and will overcharge you if they can. you will no doubt also notice the miriad of go-go bars there too, at the side of the market stalls, a peek inside won't hurt you unless he wife/girlfriend is with you! theres no cover charge, but you will be expected to buy a drink. draught beer is usually on offer at around 45 -55 baht. bottled around 90-95b. taxis for your return trip are easily available nearby and theres a great Irish pub down towards the skytrain terminal on the left hand side towards the Dusit Thani Hotel, it has good grub and ales. i am sorry its name escapes me. there are loads of DVD sellers on the way to it. have a great time.

The MBK center seems like the place to go. How late are the reps selling there on Saturday night? What is the driving time from the airport to the MBK center? Where do you catch a cab for going back to the airport?

Usil

The MBK center seems like the place to go. How late are the reps selling there on Saturday night? What is the driving time from the airport to the MBK center? Where do you catch a cab for going back to the airport?

Usil

If you are on time and go straight to MBK after clearing immigration you should be OK. Use the 'taxi meter' not the [censored] Thai Limo services who will attack you (like the piranhas they are) in the terminal foyer. Go to the taxi booth outside and tell them you want expressway to MBK (Mah Boon Krong).

Coming back DONT go for a taxi out the front of MBK they are fined big time for stopping there so you might wonder why they're all passing you by! Go out the back where there is a relatively orderly rank fed by an unending seccession of cabs on the service road there.

Guest leonado

On the way back, take the BTS skytrain from "national stadium" to interchange station "siam square" and then take the northbound skytrain all the way to the end (morchit station) and take a taxi from there. you'll avoid the traffic jam in the center of town.

Forget patpong night market. Only tourist junk at triple prices and too far anyway. MBK is open til about 9 pm mon-sun!

Edited by leonado

Guest samir

clearly you have only scratched the surface, you can get everything watchwise in Patpong that you can get in MBK. you just need to know where and how to look for it. obviously you were distracted by other matters.......

If you are going to be stuck in Bangkok for 8 hours, you don't have many options. If you don't have tons of luggage, I suppose you could hop a taxi over to patpong, but as other members mentioned, most of the replicas they sell there are total crap. You might as well spend your time inside an airconditioned gogo bar knocking back cold ones until it's time to go back to the airport. If it were me, I'd probably just stay in the airport, granted the airport sucks, and if you are sitting in the normal waiting area you are going to be surrounded by Indians and Pakistani travelers who for some reason have a cultural aversion to deodorant. There will be a few tv's set up in the waiting area, which are usually showing a rugby or cricket game.

If you go upstairs you can hang out in the airconditioned internet room, or grab a bite to eat. 8 hours is a horrible amount of time to be stuck in Bangkok, not enough time to get out and accomplish anything, but just enough time to drive you nuts with boredom.

clearly you have only scratched the surface, you can get everything watchwise in Patpong that you can get in MBK. you just need to know where and how to look for it. obviously you were distracted by other matters.......

Maybe so, but with eight hours and not knowing the area or anyone on the inside, you will basically be only able to scratch the surface, unless you are very very lucky....

And yes, isn't distraction what it's all about on Patpong? I was thinking that they did all that stuff with smoke and mirrors, but no it's real! :unsure:

That's not the important stuff. :D

Here's what you need to know: You want to try the Tom Yun Goong and have it spicy. Be wary of anything pork-based that's not too well cooked and under no circumstances should you drink the water, unless it comes out of a bottle. If your drink comes with ice, take the ice out, as it's made from tap water. The last think you want to do is ruin your time in Jakarta through something you got in BKK, and you don't want to risk anything on the flight as your poor sphincter will already be tested by the hot food.

Having a stop-over in BKK and not sampling some of the world's finest food would be a travesty of monumental proportions.

Pah! The ice thing is a myth........Order the Tom Yum "nam sai, pet pet" and top the adventure off with a plate of "Som Tam Pboo Kem, prik hok met" then youve tasted traditional Thai food (forget all the nonsense green / red curries with carved vegetable crysanthemums offered in large hotels - a Thai wouldnt know what the hell it was).

As time is on ration for you forget Patpong, Skytrain. As although valid they both have the potential to decimate your time. Yes there are goodies buried out of view in the bowels of Patpong night market but the plethora of vendors will make sure it takes you a long time to breach thier "fleece the falang" BS and get to decent reps and realistic prices. Plus a wrong move on the Skytrain might put you off track if you are unused to the place.

MBK, whilst IMO is not by a long chalk the best rep hunting ground in BKK, will suit you needs quite painlessly. And a trip up to the food court will allow the indulgence in a bit of gastonomy. And if Pugwash's predictions hit you you do have multi toilet facilities on each floor (and a coupla Pharmacies!!) :thumbsupsmileyanim:

And if Pugwash's predictions hit you you do have multi toilet facilities on each floor (and a coupla Pharmacies!!) :thumbsupsmileyanim:

And if they don't, you're not trying hard enough.

When I lived in Glasgow (unusually the curry capital of europe) I liked my curries [censored]-rendingly hot. You get used to it after a few years. When I went to Thailand, I had a soup that made my eyes bleed and it was the spiciest thing I'd ever had, partially because I added ground chillis to it before tasting it. You will never get an Indian Curry as spicy as the napalm-and-ground-glass soups they serve in Thailand.

To get back on topic, I'm going back to BKK in June. How does one get watches out of the country safely? Is it simply a matter of posting then home in jiffies?

Skip Patpong for sure...I would either head straight to MBK...but do not do a motorcycle taxi from MBK back to the airport...you will regret that...once in MBK go straight upstairs to the dealers...do not screw around with the other distractions/shops etc...lots of gens up there as well...

or

stay at the airport, head upstairs and get a two hour massage, then go have a dinner at the thai airlines lounge restaraunt...a little overpriced by thai street food stalls' standards but the food is prepared in a clean environment, with good service...that way, you can rest assured that your stay in Jakarta will go smoothly and you won't spend your time in the loo while in Jak

cheers

i'll be there in august...sweet...just after the WC..

forza forza forza

Last time I was in BKK I got a wicked case of food poisoning, it lasted me about 4-5 days, needless to say, that was the last time I ate anything from a street vendor or shady local restaurant. I was so dehydrated that I had to go on an IV drip. I also had the "napalm-and-ground-glass soup" that Pugwash is talking about with those ever so tiny little green peppers ground into it. I couldn't stop sweating for hours.

"How does one get watches out of the country safely? Is it simply a matter of posting then home in jiffies?"

I just wrapped my watches up in some socks and threw them into my suitcase. I am a US citizen though, so when I got back to the states, a few replicas were on the bottom of the custom's agent's list of questions and concerns.