When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Waterproof Test - Junk Rolex

TJGladeRaider

I am tempted to report this as being Joshuas best Rolex, for which I paid big bucks, but he probably wouldn't enjoy my sense of humor.

post-223-1145451911_thumb.jpg

post-223-1145451919_thumb.jpg

post-223-1145451926_thumb.jpg

post-223-1145451933_thumb.jpg

This is a series I did with an old piece of junk from my trash drawer. It has a plastic crystal, the screw down crown doesn't screw down, and as you can see, it leaks like a sieve.

It's a shame this isn't video as the air gushing out of this piece of junk was funny to watch. The pictures do not do it justice at all.

I just wish the crown would screw down. The bubbles rushed out of that opening so fast that they didn't have a chance to squirt thru the crystal as much as they would have.

Sorry about the pic quality.

Bill

Please test the panerai submersible (i have the regatta version). I am curious to see how much submersible it really is

I'm sorry, but I don't have one of those to test.

I'll look at them and see if I want one though. I already have four of the other models including that rose gold one Joshua sells.

Bill

Have you considered doing a little business with the rep groups? It would consist of:

1. Testing the rep to see if currently waterproof

2. Providing a service to apply the silicone grease to the seals

3. Retest to see if works

4. Send watch back with report

Some watches may already be water proof. Some may not be. Some maybe can become waterproof with only the seals greased. Your tester can tell us that.

All I am looking for is to withstand surface water levels in a pool, showering and sink. Agqin, I think this would tell you that.

Above all, you would make absolutely no warenty to the information and greasing you perform. No risk on your part, and you provide some useful information to us and what we do with it is at our risk.

It would require you to learn a little watch work but since you bought the tool, maybe this is no issue.

What do you say? I think all of us (for a fair price) would like to know if our watches are ok in water.

Usil

Have you considered doing a little business with the rep groups? It would consist of:

1. Testing the rep to see if currently waterproof

2. Providing a service to apply the silicone grease to the seals

3. Retest to see if works

4. Send watch back with report

What do you say? I think all of us (for a fair price) would like to know if our watches are ok in water.

Usil

Collecting is just a hobby for me, and I do well to open a case back and grease a seal - with people like Ziggy out there, a person would be nutz to have me open their watch (or even without Ziggy out there.)

post-223-1145462425_thumb.jpg

I have a lot of reps of my own, so I was thinking it would give everyone a pretty good idea what to expect if I tested them and published the results. The problem is, I am only allotted so much bandwidth so I cannot post all the pics. I guess I could post the results without the pics, but I don't think that would be much fun.

I do think it's of interest to the group to see that the worst rep I tested thus far (not counting the broken piece of junk) did better than either of two gen Swiss watches rated to 20 ATM. To get the effect, I think you need to see the pics though.

post-223-1145462989_thumb.jpg

Bill

It looks like your crown tube is unscrewed from the case... pretty easy to fix. But now that the watch is full of water :Jumpy: it might not be worth doing. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Actually, testing the watch is perfectly safe so long as you take the watch out of the water before the pressure reaches zero. Since this watch is a complete piece of junk, I wouldn't pay for postage across the street to have it made as good as new.

; )

Bill

While individual watch results will probably vary, it would be nice to see a tabel of your results summarizing when you saw leakage and from where. Static pics don't do the test justice but a table would be ok for thei info.

Usil

....The problem is, I am only allotted so much bandwidth so I cannot post all the pics. I guess I could post the results without the pics, but I don't think that would be much fun.

Bill,

If you need more space to post pictures go to this link and read thor's post on "How to post pictures"

Most of these sites allow free accounts and don't eat into the RWG hosting budget...

A lot of people here post images on one or many of these sites...