When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

GMT vintage (is it the 1675) ?

tgchrono2

hello, i really like the vintage Rolex watches & apart from Seadwellers & Subs have they produced a replica of GMT Vintage ?

Is the genuine GMT vintage the 1675 model ?

Thanks in advance for your help

post-3521-1181147397_thumb.jpg

Edited by tigerdaytona

Yes, 1675 is the magic number. There was a 6542 before, but only for a few years. And it was a smaller watch with a different caliber movement than 1675.

1675 was made from '59 to aprox. 1980 <---- long time!

By the way, that's my genuine 1675 you got posted there :)

PS. Here's a little bit of history: The Royal Observatory was founded in 1675 by Charles II... Thus GMT time was created in :) 1 6 7 5

The original GMT Master was the 6542 and it had no crown guards. Dates from the middle 50's into the 60's. The GMT Master 1675 came out in the middle 60's and had the 1575 GMT movement and the crown guards. GMT hand tracked the hour hand on a 24 hour basis and you could tell the time in a second time zone by turning the bezel.

Reps of the vintage GMT Master aren't considered all that good, mainly because the rep makers use the submariner case which isn't correct. Here's Paul's version:

http://www.wo-mart.com/product_info.php?cP...products_id=814

And one by Silix-prime:

http://www.silix-prime.com/product.asp?id=1494

I'm not sure if the dial on Paul's is correct, if I was to guess, I'd say it's an older copy that predates the middle sixties 1675. Markers are too yellow for my taste, and cg's are wrong. Silix's case looks a little better, the Jubilee bracelet was an option in lieu of the oyster bracelet.

Euno's picture is of a very nice gen with the small GMT hand which only lasted for the first few years of the 1675 production run.