When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

027 revived

sssurfer

Some months ago on WT I saw an offer from TTK for a 027/028 -- quite cheap, about $100.

I say 027/028 as it had a flat, 027-like, dial... but it also had a PVD (rep PVD), 028-like, case.

Uhm... it was quite unconsistent, but... a PR PAM at $100?!?... quite appealing... and that 'Buy Now' button was right there, spelling 'click me! click me!'... :wub:

Ok, I clicked it, and after a while a was the happy owner of another nice black PR PAM.

It proved to be so precise, comfortable, reliable, :in_love: that I decided to give it a reward.

A real identity.

I would make it a honourable 027.

Got a SS case.

Got a new caseback (the original one had that 'LAUREUS REGATTA' engraving that I came to hate).

Got a Lello's crown.

Got a SS bracelet (yes, I know that 027 came with a black leather strap, but I really like those bracelets).

Got a sapphire crystal.

And here is the result.

I am still unsatisfied with the lever, and - obviously and expecially - with the poor date mag. But I think that I could do something about it too, in a month or so... :D

30803-40521.jpg

30803-40522.jpg

30803-40523.jpg

Impressive! I have a 28 which I will be sending in for a PVD..... hopefully soon. Great watch sssurfer for that price! How is it running? Losing/ gaining time?

Actually I need to set time once a month, in order to re-gain 2-3 mins... uhm, so it seems that it is loosing about 5 secs a day...

To me, this is to my appointment, and it accounted for the main reason that made me decide to upgrade it. :)

Best wishes on your 028! I too am waiting for PVD coating on my 028.

Are you going to send it to Finepics or to Palpatine? (or else?)

Actually for the cost of the orignal watch plus all the extra bits surely it would have been cheapier just to buy a 027 and be done with it :huh:

Ken

Actually, it was just the cost of the case and caseback, since Lello's crown and SS bracelet would have been needed on a 'native' 027 too, and the sapphire crystal was from another dismantled watch. :)

My 28a hobnail dial will be going for PVD next week - got myself a nice nubuck vintage military strap with PVD buckle fitted (for only $59) from Smat over in Thailand. Really good value for money and I think will compliment this nicely.

Actually Smat has a nice range of PVD buckled straps in 24/24 - and nicely made too. I hope Smat won't mind me showing pics of the strap he has sent me fitted to his own watch.

30911-40507.jpg

Also got this one coming for my PAM000 project.

30911-40508.jpg

Hi Mark, great straps indeed!

Is the 2nd also from Smat @ 59 USD??

Actually it was $110 for the pair (including the PVD buckles). I have just been emailing him about custom orders and he is happy to make whatever you want. I have also been doing a Veni and scouring ebay for old leather satchel bags etc, for my Vintage 6152. Think I just found something too!! So will be sending the leather of to Smat for a custom vintage strap.

Actually it was $110 for the pair (including the PVD buckles). I have just been emailing him about custom orders and he is happy to make whatever you want. I have also been doing a Veni and scouring ebay for old leather satchel bags etc, for my Vintage 6152. Think I just found something too!! So will be sending the leather of to Smat for a custom vintage strap.

Could someone tell me where I can send my watches off to get PVD/DLC? I know Jack at IWW does them but is there anyone else?

Thanks.

Could someone tell me where I can send my watches off to get PVD/DLC? I know Jack at IWW does them but is there anyone else?

Thanks.

As far as I know, IWW withdrew from coating reps.

You may go with Finepics without any problems, he's sort of obsessive-compulsive about quality and reliability (hi, Mark! :bye1: -- thanks for your reply) and he's a standup guy.

Also got this one coming for my PAM000 project.

31036-40488.jpg

Be warned that that strap looks a lot lighter in real life. I just got mine for a new PVD, but the color wasn't deep enough and doesn't appear to have any of the orange/red like in his pics. So, I'm sending mine back for an upgrade to an Ivory Croc.

The one I got is, according to Smat "from the same exact piece of leather", as the pic you posted but the color is represented better in my pic below. He said it would darken with age, but I'm impatient.

post-1232-1145818054_thumb.jpg

Edited by the barst

Thanks very much for that - although I don't mind waiting for it to darken. My 1942 fiddy strap from MF was the same so I accelerated the ageing by repeatedly soaking in water and drying, then rubbing it when dry with my fingers and thumbs. Now it has a really shiny Louis Vuitton type Patina and took a couple of days to get it like that.

The pic you have shown has black stitching?

Thanks very much for that - although I don't mind waiting for it to darken. My 1942 fiddy strap from MF was the same so I accelerated the ageing by repeatedly soaking in water and drying, then rubbing it when dry with my fingers and thumbs. Now it has a really shiny Louis Vuitton type Patina and took a couple of days to get it like that.

The pic you have shown has black stitching?

Good to know. Yes, black stitch was a special request. No big deal for Smat as he makes everything to order. I feel bad returning it, but the edges weren't as advertised either. He put what looks like black paint on it instead of leavig it natural like the pics. That is really what I didn't like about it. Made it look kinda cheap. I can't stress how nice his higher end stuff is for the price though ie, croc, ostrich, bull belly. All very nice. I will order from him again for sure.

As far as I know, IWW withdrew from coating reps.

You may go with Finepics without any problems, he's sort of obsessive-compulsive about quality and reliability (hi, Mark! :bye1: -- thanks for your reply) and he's a standup guy.

Roger that....Jack at IWW emailed me that he is no longer performing his PVD service on non-gens...&^%$#@

and he is backed up in regular watch service at the moment....

I knew I should have gone to watchmaker's school...

My 28a hobnail dial will be going for PVD next week - got myself a nice nubuck vintage military strap with PVD buckle fitted (for only $59) from Smat over in Thailand. Really good value for money and I think will compliment this nicely.

Actually Smat has a nice range of PVD buckled straps in 24/24 - and nicely made too. I hope Smat won't mind me showing pics of the strap he has sent me fitted to his own watch.

I really like that second strap from SMAT - and great price!

-- BBB

ps it's "complEment" with an 'e' - the 'i' version is to praise - your friendly Word-Nazi (sorry!)

• 2 months later...
Hello, u all PAM 27/ 28 experts!

I have laso got one PR PAM from TTK, but mine is a so-called "28A", - a PVD coating case with a plain black dial (not hobnail one).

Can I find the hobnail dial anywhere in the board?

Thanks@

Ed

I am afraid no one is offering a hobnail dial for 028A as a spare part -- I never saw one, at least.

It is quite a complicate dial to produce, and quite expensive I suppose, so one can find it only on expensive reps powered with equally expensive movements (2892A2).

That watch from TTK (a good watch even if not accurate in the dial) is much easier to make it closer to a 027 (as I did) than a 028.

Sorry.