When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

bumped into a "paneristi" yesterday

exper

Was in Kingthsbridge yesterday at the new / temporary Armani store right next to the Watches of Switzerland having just drooled over some IWC and Franck Muller King's (their Panerai collection was only 3 or 4 40mm's and a radiomir) looking at some jeans when a guy in his mid 40's walks up and points to the watch and goes.. "Panerai ?" while holding his wrist out with a sparkling 088. I go, yes.. you on Paneristi ? to see if he knew what he was on about and he goes with a big smile on his face "YES MATE ! YOU" My reply was "I visit the site, but don't really post" which got the ball rolling and we chatted for about 5 mins and he couldn't bare it anymore and asked if he could try on my 092, as he had considered getting that before deciding on the 88 but he wanted his first purchase to be from a AD and not online. I said of course he could as long as I could try on his 88 ;)

After a few min we handed the watches back to each other and confident he hadn't clocked on it was a rep (mainly due to him saying he really really wants a 092 now as well) I felt like it was time to let him into our little secret, mostly because he was a really nice guy. The guy was absolutely gob smacked, he stood there and just could not believe it was a rep asking me to examine it again having just given it the once over. I explained the whole high quality rep market (without letting on too much such as this site) and gave him Joshua's website and he said he is off to get himself a 092. Gave him my email as he said he'd like some more info :thumbsupsmileyanim:

So a rather interesting meeting, I have seen a few Panerai's around town but this was something else. The down side is I really want a bloody 088 now and the OEM straps are absolutely amazing that I'm going to have to get myself some.

p.s Hi Neil, if you find this site :bye1:

I am quite friendly with the Panerai rep in a Watches Of Switzerland store near me - I go in all the time to show him different models and he wants to buy some as well!!! He even wears a fake Rollie to work (he offered to swap it for one of my PAM's - I was tempted until I saw the familiar number on the hologram - he almost had me!!)

I am sure there are many Paneraisti that would get a rep of something they could not have otherwise (and there are many that have already), especially as all our reps are not cheap and crappy but actually very well made, and long lasting, watches in their own right. The one thing that does unites Gen and rep owner is our enthusiasm for the brand, and I'm sure that sometimes we know more than the Paneraisti as we probably spend more time researching them to find the faults that they don't have to look for. Just a shame they get so anal about it sometimes.

Just a shame they get so anal about it sometimes.

Couldn't agree more ! It's just a shame the anal ones are always the more vocal ones. Your local AD, does he has a full gold one ? The guy showing me the goodies at the WoS was wearing a full gold rolex, didn't get a good look at it due to the suit but its funny that AD's are wearing reps :D

Couldn't agree more ! It's just a shame the anal ones are always the more vocal ones. Your local AD, does he has a full gold one ? The guy showing me the goodies at the WoS was wearing a full gold rolex, didn't get a good look at it due to the suit but its funny that AD's are wearing reps :D

No - he had a green bezel sub. He is in the store on B******n Rd - nice bloke. He is quite happy to get gen PAM's out to show and let me handle!!

Well this thread sparked my interest, so i just spent 15 mins wandering thru the 1st few pages of the Paneristi forum. gotta say i'm not a Pam fan ( To each his own), but if what I just read, is indicitive of the mentality of "real" Pam owners, I can thank my instincts as correct. What a bunch of self serving wankers!!

It really encourages one to go and post a whole bunch of reps - to stir the s##t out of them. ( Not that I would waste my time- nor upset the "purists")

Have seen other posts where they have got their tits in a tangle over reps, and thought it was probably just a few " troublemakers" ( just like we have here :p ) but NO, its a large % of the breed.

Finepics- you are so right- it is a pity they get so anal about it- however one of these days a huge bolt of lightning will strike- fizz their collective brains- and they will see thats its not a $$$$, nor ego ( Mines bigger/better than yours) thing, but an appreciation of design, aesthetics, and quality.... but more so - that appreciation must firstly reside with the owner/ wearer, what everyone else thinks-doesn't count for two knobs of rocking horse ****.

As an example- I have an Omega fantasy- I bought from TWG ( mainly for a project I had in mind- which didn't eventuate) This thing is not like anything else around- but I have grown to LIKE it, and wear it regularly. ( maybe I should stick it on Chronocentric, and see how hard the fish are biting :winkiss: )

Anyway heres a shot of my Omega- I like it- and don't care what others think- it feels good to me.

offshore

post-13-1145789797_thumb.jpg

Actually a funny thing happened a while ago on the old RWG. Someone PM'd me to ask what I though of a PAM 183 that a gen owner (George I think was his name) was showing on the Friday wrist check over at the Panereh site. Well there was no doubting it was a rep (recessed cannon pin and the letter A's was the tell) so he was outed!!! It caused an absolute storm, endless denials of ever wearing or having anything to do with fakes etc, and all his mates rallied round him in support. I suspect he had a rep for daily wear with the gen sitting in it's box, but he was caught red-handed (and red faced!!). And the lovely vintage 6152 hommage creation that is shown on the same site is still a fake despite the use of the word "hommage". I have a friend in Portugal with a collection of over 50 gens (some with a staggering value), and he buys reps of them to wear so as not to risk damaging the gens.

I have a friend in Portugal with a collection of over 50 gens (some with a staggering value), and he buys reps of them to wear so as not to risk damaging the gens.

The whole thing can get pretty silly. Right now I only have one gen ( a 111H) and it is up for sale. It is totally perfect and flawless but that is exactly why I don't wear it or if I do, I worry about it the whole time. I don't spend too much time anymore on the gen pam forums. I just lost interest in the whole "special" thing of owning a gen. I'll probably take a big hit on this and lose around 600 USD but it helped change my watch philosophy, I don't think I'll ever spend more than 1000 on a SS watch again.

Exactly - you have to be spending really serious money to get something that might actually be worth it in terms of craftsmanship etc. The only gen I would really consider buying from basic range POV would be a Pre-A model as they are at least scarce and have a slightly different pedigree.

The whole thing can get pretty silly. Right now I only have one gen ( a 111H) and it is up for sale. It is totally perfect and flawless but that is exactly why I don't wear it or if I do, I worry about it the whole time. I don't spend too much time anymore on the gen pam forums. I just lost interest in the whole "special" thing of owning a gen. I'll probably take a big hit on this and lose around 600 USD but it helped change my watch philosophy, I don't think I'll ever spend more than 1000 on a SS watch again.

There's a Paneristi at the local high end watch store out here--a real ninny--who says he works part time to fund his panerai habit. About 6 months ago he outed me on a 168 about fifteen seconds after I absentmindedly walked into the store w/o taking it off first--came from halfway accross the store to do it.

A couple sundays ago I walked in wearing my gen Master Hometime and I guarantee he recognized me since he immediately stared for about 20 seconds at my wrist. The funny thing was after about five minutes I realized something odd: He was wearing a 183 and there was no way he was going to give me a decent look at it---boy, that wrist didn't stay still for 3 seconds. I guarantee it was a rep. I'm not going to get a guy fired, no matter how big of a goober he is so after looking at a few watches, I just winked at him and said, "nice 183" and walked out.

Actually a funny thing happened a while ago on the old RWG. Someone PM'd me to ask what I though of a PAM 183 that a gen owner (George I think was his name) was showing on the Friday wrist check over at the Panereh site. Well there was no doubting it was a rep (recessed cannon pin and the letter A's was the tell) so he was outed!!! It caused an absolute storm, endless denials of ever wearing or having anything to do with fakes etc, and all his mates rallied round him in support. I suspect he had a rep for daily wear with the gen sitting in it's box, but he was caught red-handed (and red faced!!). And the lovely vintage 6152 hommage creation that is shown on the same site is still a fake despite the use of the word "hommage". I have a friend in Portugal with a collection of over 50 gens (some with a staggering value), and he buys reps of them to wear so as not to risk damaging the gens.

I don't see the reasoning behind owning a gen and not enjoying it personally but as you say some are of staggering value so that makes a pretty good argument on its own I guess. How's old George doing ? He still active ? I imagine they probably ripped him a new one considering all the [censored] that goes on in there especially in the recent fake threads they had last month.

Archibald, was it a public outing or did he just mention it to you ? I had a sales person try it once (funnily enough with a gen cartier) and he was quickly reminded that he was just a sales troll and there to serve ;)

(he offered to swap it for one of my PAM's - I was tempted until I saw the familiar number on the hologram - he almost had me!!)

the number on the hologram is the MODEL Number and not a serial number... means they will be the same on rep/gen, but dont worry, i got that wrong either back in the days ;)

A couple sundays ago I walked in wearing my gen Master Hometime and I guarantee he recognized me since he immediately stared for about 20 seconds at my wrist. The funny thing was after about five minutes I realized something odd: He was wearing a 183 and there was no way he was going to give me a decent look at it---boy, that wrist didn't stay still for 3 seconds. I guarantee it was a rep. I'm not going to get a guy fired, no matter how big of a goober he is so after looking at a few watches, I just winked at him and said, "nice 183" and walked out.

lol, thats pretty funny!

the number on the hologram is the MODEL Number and not a serial number... means they will be the same on rep/gen, but dont worry, i got that wrong either back in the days ;)

Actually I do know that, but they do use the same sticker on every rep and the numbers wear off quickly unlike the gen.