When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex crown for 6263

the collector

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 6263/5's all had Triplocks- The Cosmographs with Oyster signed dials were outfitted with Triplocks from the start, not Twinlocks. Twinlockers were the 6239/6240, etc with non-Oyster signed dials.

As such, any Triplock 7mm crown is sufficient for a 6263/5, as it is likely these have been replaced during a service with the most recent variation. 24-703 should work nicely.

Guest avitt

I think that this is germane...Here is a comparison between two of the aftermarket Triplock tubes. On the left is the version from Cousins (Clockspares.com), and on the right is the Helfands version (please excuse the dried lock-tight). I can't comment on the quality, other than to say that I've already torqued the threads off one of the Helfands...my fault entirely.

31808-40282.jpg

Guest avitt
Do anybody know a US source for Triplock tubes (Clockspares is Uk), please PM me ?

I tryed Helfands, way too short. they can be secure more adding glue, but no my choise. :thumbdown:

I'm in the US, and Cousins delivered within a week of my order, with reasonable shipping costs. (However, I'm open to alternate source as well).

Guest avitt

That case is an aftermarket.

It's my understanding that vintage Daytona's don't use gaskets around the crystal. You could probably use one...I'd suggest a flat gasket, with in internal diameter of about 29.5mm. I'm not sure what this would do to the watch's profile.

Another suggestion (which comes from Nanuq) would be to spread a little silicone grease around the lip of the case, before fitting the crystal.

Fully aggre with Nanuq

I have try to make and test my DW water proof, and only made about 0.1 atm (1.3 meter :whistling: ) during water test, a tiny bubble started to form next to upper pusher.

This make my watch water proof, but no water resistant :angry:

P

Correct, most vintage don't have a gasket there, like the sapphire crystals use. It's a raised lip over which the crystal fits, then the retaining ring squeezes the crystal down onto the lip. A little grease in the two interfaces helps.

The exception to this rule is the 1665 Sea-dweller. Beneath the crystal retaining ring there is a machined groove into which an o-ring fits. The ring presses down on the o-ring and "inward" against the crystal.

If it were up to me, I wouldn't take a chrono in the water. Just too many places for it to leak, "Oyster" designated or not. I save the swimming for my dive watches.

Edited by pitimany

Guest avitt

Thanks collector. That's the Cousins tube. I'm impressed with the quality. BTW, theres no need for a special tool to install this tube...a T8 Torx bit does the job perfectly.

Thanks collector. That's the Cousins tube. I'm impressed with the quality. BTW, theres no need for a special tool to install this tube...a T8 Torx bit does the job perfectly.

I have what appears to be helfand tube and the T8 Torx does not work, even a T10 is too small for the inner tube, so I'm off buying the real tool!

Guest avitt

@Halley, it's never a bad idea to get the right tool for the job...But I should have given you a bit more information. Here is a picture of the bits that I use.

34611-39632.jpg

A Mibro Torx T9 insert bit is perfect for the helfands tube, while a T8 is the one for the Cousins tube (hmm...I guess the Cousins has longer threads AND a thicker wall). It's really the shoulder of the bits that snug onto the tubes. The teeth do pass through, like you've mentioned. Here's an end shot:

34611-39633.jpg

These really work well for me. And holding the bits by hand helps to ensure that I don't overtorque anything.