When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex crown for 6263

the collector

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In case with the gen 24-703 crown, what stem should be used for the DW vj23 movement since this machine is baiscally a non-standard one on the usual market.

I used the DW stem on the 24-703 crown, the length is perfect so the crown while on winding position is still covering the tube and while in hour setting position, you don't see the stem at all, btw don't forget the inside gaskets, that's the ones that keeps the stem firm on the tube, you and me don't like when you feel that the crown is weak when we unscrew it!!

Guest avitt

Happy to have helped.

I used a little blue loctite on mine...although I don't think it's really necessary.

One thing that I noticed with the cousins tubes: even if you countersink the hole, they seem to stand away from the case a bit too much (which causes a space between the case and the crown). Because of this, I do not use the gasket between the case and the tube. I'm curious if others have found this to be true.

@Avitt, noticed the same thing with the gen tubes. This gap really annoyed me. As i looked closer why this gap occured i noticed that the tube is not threaded all the way to the end. What i did was that i just forced the tube with the help of a pair of pliers. I was worried that this might do some damage to the tube or the case, but it all worked out fine and now the tube sits as it should.

I got some locktite Lock'n seal (thread lock and sealant) at the same time as the T8. Just to be on the safe side i will use a drop of it.

Thanks for the advice

Edited by the collector

@Avitt, noticed the same thing with the gen tubes. This gap really annoyed me. As i looked closer why this gap occured i noticed that the tube is not threaded all the way to the end. What i did was that i just forced the tube with the help of a pair of pliers. I was worried that this might do some damage to the tube or the case, but it all worked out fine and now the tube sits as it should.

Look at a lot of photos of genuine vintage Rolex's and most of them have a gap where the crown meets the case. If you don't have some gap you have done it wrong. :bangin:

Guest avitt

I won't say you're wrong...but I think that what you're seeing is the inside bevel on the edge of the vintage crowns. I don't think there should be an appreciable gap between the case and the crown.

There is indeed in my eyes a tiny small gap on gen, nothing really noticeable but it probably due more to the flute shape of the gen tube than the gasket.

Like you guys said on the rep it can be better to avoid using the gasket, it enlarge that gap but also I find that using a torx doesn't allow to control very well the force you apply when you screw the tube and to feel when the tube is beyond it's physical resistance.

In consequence the gasket can make you screw the tube unstaight or break it, just because you wanted to reduce that gap of a micron!!

I experienced that and broke the tube inside my DW while trying to reduce that f*****g gap! At that time I was made I thought I wouldn't be able to repair my unique 6241 case!

:lol:

Edited by halley

I won't say you're wrong...but I think that what you're seeing is the inside bevel on the edge of the vintage crowns. I don't think there should be an appreciable gap between the case and the crown.

If there isn't a gap and the crown fits right up against the watch case then the seal inside the top of the crown itself (on a triplock) will not be effective. Think about it. Most vintage 1665's and 1680's have them also.

Guest avitt

Yeah, Sherrington, you're right. The crown shouldn't butt against the case.

Here's a picture (borrowed from doubleredsweadweller.com) of the DRSD that I emulated when I was building mine:

43426-37753.jpg

That's not the type of gap that I was speaking about, when I talked about fitting the Cousins tubes. The gap above looks correct, the gap that I was eliminating did not.

Guest avitt

Nice work, collector. Did you have to countersink the case. If so, what tool did you use (I've used a grinding stone, with a small, oval tip).

@Avitt, No tools needed, the tube fits nicely into the case. Only prolem is that the tube is not threaded all the way, so when you are screwing it in it will stop at a stage shown by the pictures where the case has no pushers.

I used force to make the tube screw right in. (T8 + Plyers)

Basicly, when the tube runs out of thread i use pliers to force it right in.

I guess you could use a small grinding stone to remove the first 2-3 threads in the case, that would also solve the problem.

Edited by the collector

Guest avitt

To judge correctly, we'd really need to see both crowns, fully screwed down, with the gaskets installed. It's really the crown to case spacing that is critical.