When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How reliable are the rep.?

itisme

I am thinking about buying a SOSF rep. with ETA movement after reading so much good reviews on the piece. Being that this is my first rep. purchase, I am just wondering if anyone can share their exp. in terms of rep. watches reliability. Do they break down on average after months? years? Any comments are appreciated. Thanks!

The Swiss (ETA) movement in the rep is the base movement used in the genuine Breitling SFSO and should last as long as any other similar powered watch which includes many well known Swiss brands. For example this rep has the same movement as an auto Tissot Seastar 1000 diver or a Fortis or an Oris etc etc so long term reliability should not be a concern, providing the watch is serviced in the same way as these gens will need to be serviced.

The SFSO is a great start to rep collecting - enjoy it.

Edited by PAMman

I am thinking about buying a SOSF rep. with ETA movement after reading so much good reviews on the piece. Being that this is my first rep. purchase, I am just wondering if anyone can share their exp. in terms of rep. watches reliability. Do they break down on average after months? years? Any comments are appreciated. Thanks!

Alot of it is luck of the draw to begin with, almost any rep (excluding 7750 second @6) should be reliable with service. My SFSO died after a week, but i didn't send it back because I planned on getting it service anyway just havent gotten around to it.

I recently bought (and resold) a second (third!) hand rep with an Asian 21J movement inside. It is more than one year old. Had no problem, kept good time and had more power reserve than other reps I own. So reps CAN be good.

Not to kill the light but I have bought about a few reps here and other places. They all seem to crap out and have small problems after wearing them as daily beaters. I like to wear my watches 24/7 and alternate them daily. I usually almost always put them on my winders when not worn. I dont have any really nice reps but I have all of the major brands and all of the major movements Asian 21J, Asian 7750, ETA 2836-2 etc etc... They all lose time eventually and sometimes dramatically. About 100% of them have no real water resistance out of the box when submerged in any depth for more than a few minutes. Like everyone has said they all have decent movements and I think the problem lies more in manufacturing and the movements not being oiled properly before assembly. If I wear a rep I have learned to always carry my cell phone as a back-up. It is weired I have a PAM that I wear daily for work, it keeps very accurate time for about 5 days, then all of a sudden it looses like 35mins over night. Then it is back to running normal, and keeping accurate time. I think the big difference is, a rep will come out of the box like crap, but with a little TLC it will be as reliable as a gen for keeping accurate time. With some more $$$ swim worthy, which is what water resistant should really mean.