When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Fitting the gen 1570 movement in an MBW 1665

Fitting a genuine 1570 Rolex movement in a MBW 1665 is an relatively easy job. Remember a replica is still a replica with this movement. But as we are all watch enthousiasts and THE big challenge in rep world is striving to 99,9 perfection... this is an interesting mod. You will not see this movement from the outside so the feeling resides in your head that at least the engine is 100%. Wel off to this mod....

My 1570 comes from a 72 hacking non quick setdate Rollie 1601... This could be the correct movement for a DRSD and a WSD (since a lot of the DRSD's got redialed by Rolex when serviced). This is the set. I am missing hands. Good aftermarkets are on the way (still widely available).

269042-4025.jpg

The dial fits straight on the movement. Unfortunately did MBW cut of the feet, but you can still see the correct position of the feet. Maybe I will have them put on again. For now we need those sticky dots (that I will do later).

269042-4026.jpg

Modded case and movement....

269042-4027.jpg

Haha... perfect the movement has a diameter of 28,5 and the case as well... should fit straight in and it does!!!!

269042-4028.jpg

Sad enough the stem is not aligned exactly... but the difference is minimal....

269042-4029.jpg

You can see where the movement rests on... It is the second ring of the case. The first is reserved for the dial... This needs adjusting

269042-4030.jpg

The angle on the movement can be shaped with a small swiss diamond file in 45 min to make the movement sink a bit deeper in the case so the stem aligns and the oscilating weight stays clear of the caseback...

269042-4031.jpg

Now thats much better!

269042-4032.jpg

The result...

269042-4033.jpg

269042-4034.jpg

269042-4035.jpg

It took a total of a few hours and is not a big mod to do.... Lets say that CG's are about the same difficulty level. I will show final result pictures once the correct datewheel and hands are installed. Now all that is left is the Gas Escape Valve... There is a explanation around here... Oli does them in a tremendous way!! Well Oli I hope this post is the answer I owed you...

Guest avitt

Fantastic work!!!

Those Swiss files can come in handy. (I once had to use a similar technique to enlarge a DW case which was not milled correctly to receive a VJ72 movement.)

...Now to find a genuine dial :g:

Fitting a genuine 1570 Rolex movement in a MBW 1665 is an relatively easy job. Remember a replica is still a replica with this movement. But as we are all watch enthousiasts and THE big challenge in rep world is striving to 99,9 perfection... this is an interesting mod. You will not see this movement from the outside so the feeling resides in your head that at least the engine is 100%. Wel off to this mod....

My 1570 comes from a 72 hacking non quick setdate Rollie 1601... This could be the correct movement for a DRSD and a WSD (since a lot of the DRSD's got redialed by Rolex when serviced). This is the set. I am missing hands. Good aftermarkets are on the way (still widely available).

269114-3998.jpg

The dial fits straight on the movement. Unfortunately did MBW cut of the feet, but you can still see the correct position of the feet. Maybe I will have them put on again. For now we need those sticky dots (that I will do later).

269114-3999.jpg

Modded case and movement....

269114-4000.jpg

Haha... perfect the movement has a diameter of 28,5 and the case as well... should fit straight in and it does!!!!

269114-4001.jpg

Sad enough the stem is not aligned exactly... but the difference is minimal....

269114-4002.jpg

You can see where the movement rests on... It is the second ring of the case. The first is reserved for the dial... This needs adjusting

269114-4003.jpg

The angle on the movement can be shaped with a small swiss diamond file in 45 min to make the movement sink a bit deeper in the case so the stem aligns and the oscilating weight stays clear of the caseback...

269114-4004.jpg

Now thats much better!

269114-4005.jpg

The result...

269114-4006.jpg

269114-4007.jpg

269114-4008.jpg

It took a total of a few hours and is not a big mod to do.... Lets say that CG's are about the same difficulty level. I will show final result pictures once the correct datewheel and hands are installed. Now all that is left is the Gas Escape Valve... There is a explanation around here... Oli does them in a tremendous way!! Well Oli I hope this post is the answer I owed you...

Man you kill me

Fantastic job... :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Buy the way you need a silver datewheel and i know a source... :whistling:

Edited by Tribal

Outstanding work, KKS. I have been considering the same thing as a finishing touch to my DRSD project.

I would love to see your finished product. And if you need info on an He valve, this may work.

Thanks for stepping up Fred... I remember but just didn't take the time to recollect yesterday as I was to excited that this worked out... The best improvement that is indeed... Thanks for sharing... I still look for the alternative of buying a whole watch which you have to rip apart just for the valve... as they only come in the swiss versions... a rivet huh... Still cooking on that one...

@ Tribal: Yes I am looking for a silver datewheel... not the ones on the bay...these suck or go way to expensive 220$ (150 EUR)

@ admin: Is there a possibility of bookmarking interesting threads because searching will not always find what you have discovered earlier...

Great pictures and wonderful work...congrats...

RG

Man, this is all I need, another potential $1500 worth of mods to this watch.

These movements do go for $900-$1200 on ebay. It's nice to know I dont have to mount my MBW case (when I get the damn MBW.....hello out there...you know who...who has my address and my $350 :rolleyes: ) in a metalworking lathe to do the depth adjustment. I will do this some day. Who will know a fully modded MBW 1665 with a genuine movement isn't the $10,000 real deal short of a serial number check???

Zigs, could this case mod and movement install be in your repertoire??????

Truly spectacular, J. :1a:

With this post, all rumors of a gen movement not fitting an MBW 1665 case have been laid to rest. I would be interested in doing this as well. The finished product is very close to the real deal in nearly all respects.

Would the case clamps to hold the movement have to be custom made? That's probably not too difficult to do in comparison to all your other mods.

Thanks for posting this. This is an eye opener of a post. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

With this post, all rumors on a gen movement not fitting an MBW 1665 case have been laid to rest. I would be interested in doing this as well. The finished product is very close to the real deal in nearly all respects.

Would the case clamps to hold the movement have to be custom made? That's probably not too difficult to do in comparison to all your other mods.

Is there any doubt an MBW 1665 with a genuine movement, dial, bezel, case tube and crown would be the "Ultimate Sub"? I have also heard the genuine movement swap was not possible without prohibitive owner operated case mods. This IS an epic, rep life changing post.

With this post, all rumors of a gen movement not fitting an MBW 1665 case have been laid to rest. I would be interested in doing this as well. The finished product is very close to the real deal in nearly all respects.

With a bit of trial and error you could use the gen big screws that come with the movement... just make the bevel deep enough so the fit under the lip... the challenge is to get them there... of course you can make clamps that stick easier... but this would make it fake again...

Thanks for stepping up Fred... I remember but just didn't take the time to recollect yesterday as I was to excited that this worked out... The best improvement that is indeed... Thanks for sharing... I still look for the alternative of buying a whole watch which you have to rip apart just for the valve... as they only come in the swiss versions... a rivet huh... Still cooking on that one...

A donor watch can be had for less than $200, which I admit is still alot to pay just for a valve. If you have a lathe, you could make your own or, as was my backup plan, you can use a small rivet that many watch parts houses & some hardware stores sell. You would still need to fashion the spring clip yourself though. But I just felt it was worth the cost of the extra watch to get a ready-made working valve.

With the addition of the 1570, I think an He valve and a gen (or more accurate repainted) dial are an absolute MUST.