When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Warning! 3717 IWC Pilot Chrono 21.6k Big Problem!

rckh

Yo!

I got my 3717 from Puretime Angus 21.6k version. Refer to my post before; I found my 3717 got slipping minute-hand problem. When I turn my watch I notice the minute-hand slipping between 2 minutes marking. I already send my 3717 to service & returned. My watchsmith told me that this problem cause by space between gear & couldn't fix! I'm still can't make my decision whether I should send it back to Angus or not as I already serviced & calibated.

Would U mind to check yours & reply whether u got this problem or not?

Thx The Zigmeister advice; problem fixed!

Edited by rckh

You should only buy the older slow beat 7750 movement watch, if you plan to swap it out for an ETA 7750, as the hands should fit the ETA OK. The newer high beat 7750 is a MUCH better movement and should be the one you buy if you do not plan to swap the movement for an ETA, because the hands do not fit.

I would send it back and pay the extra for the better high beat movement....

Cheers :D

Mickey is right that for the swap pick up the older movement. But you don't have to. I have already swapped out the movement on the original version and transposed the hands. About to do another one right now. This whole thing about not being able to use the hands is usually not true. It just takes someone with skills - read as Ziggy. I haven't asked but I would also suspect that you can buy the hands only from the Swiss version. They are usually $30-40 or so. I have done that for two oher watches just in case... :lol:

I won't going to swap ETA7750; because I can't found a local watchsmith willing to do it. Is it the problem only came from 21.6k? Is it no such problem in 28.8k?

Raymond

Edited by rckh

The slow beat 7750 is a poor movement, all the watches I have owned with that movement have had problems. The finish and the parts of the movement are rough and low quality, even after regulating it and servicing it you can still have problems with it.

The high beat 7750 is a very good movement, with a higher quality finish, nearing ETA quality. If you had got the high beat version and had it serviced and regulated you would have a great watch. The Zigmeister says the high beat movement when regulated and serviced will last and work like ETA, in most if not all cases.

You should have researched this before you purchased the watch. All the information is on this forum.

I would say send it back and get the high beat version. When you get it serviced and regulated, your watchsmith will tell you what a better movement it is, if he knows what he is doing.

Is it the problem only came from 21.6k? Is it no such problem in 28.8k?

Raymond

Actually it's not a "Problem" at all, but a characteristic of the 7750 movement and the offset cannon pin, and all the extra gears to drive the hands. It's not defective, it's just the way it is.

Your expecting perfection when it's not possible.

RG

You might try and be more respectful of long time members who are offering you FREE advise and suggestions based on their experience and knowledge.

No one likes smart mouths.

RG

The Zigmeisterzumba:

Nice to see u here! :thumbsupsmileyanim: I read all your post in RWG; I remember that in your review of old 21.6k vs new28.8k 7750, U mention about the cannon pin improved in new version. That mean new 28.8k A7750 movement won't got this slipping minute-hand problem?

Thx so much for your help! :rolleyes:

Raymond

You might try and be more respectful of long time members who are offering you FREE advise and suggestions based on their experience and knowledge.

No one likes smart mouths.

RG

Sorry about that! post already edited! :black_eye:

Please forget me!

Raymond

I think rckh is saying that the minute hand is loose and wobbling about all the time. None of my 7750 chrono watches, with the newer highbeat movement, have ever had this problem.

I have seen this on a number of A7750's, both older ones and newer ones... It's just a function of the gears and the teeth spacing.

If the watch is not oiled (which they aren't when delivered) then you can get this sloppiness. Once oiled, the added friction on the cannon and hour wheels seems to help this issue. Also you can add a dial washer over the hour wheel to add a bit of "friction" to the hour and cannon wheels to try and take up the slack.

I have also seen a number of A7750's that when you press the crown in from the time setting position, the minute hand moves a minute or so...just a quirk on these models.

RG

I remember that in your review of old 21.6k vs new28.8k 7750, U mention about the cannon pin improved in new version.

The cannon pin problem is one where the seconds works good, but the minute hand looses time...this is not the problem your having with yours.

Replacing the cannon pin will not fix this problem.

RG

I have seen this on a number of A7750's, both older ones and newer ones... It's just a function of the gears and the teeth spacing.

If the watch is not oiled (which they aren't when delivered) then you can get this sloppiness. Once oiled, the added friction on the cannon and hour wheels seems to help this issue. Also you can add a dial washer over the hour wheel to add a bit of "friction" to the hour and cannon wheels to try and take up the slack.

I have also seen a number of A7750's that when you press the crown in from the time setting position, the minute hand moves a minute or so...just a quirk on these models.

RG

Thanks very much for the info :)

I have seen the minute hand jump about while pressing the crown in on a few of my chrono's, but have been fortunate enough to have avoided the dreaded sloppy minute hand syndrome! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

The loose minute hand while setting isn't a problem, to be honest. All you need to remember is that you fine-set the hands on a 7750 backwards whereas it's forwards on a 2836.

To clarify, I mean you advance the hands forwards a few minutes past the current time and take up the slack backwards. This will allow you to get a dead-on-balls-accurate setting. If you don't do this, your minute hand will be slightly off.

The loose minute hand while setting isn't a problem, to be honest. All you need to remember is that you fine-set the hands on a 7750 backwards whereas it's forwards on a 2836.

To clarify, I mean you advance the hands forwards a few minutes past the current time and take up the slack backwards. This will allow you to get a dead-on-balls-accurate setting. If you don't do this, your minute hand will be slightly off.

Good tip, all do to with taking up the slack in the gear train.

I have however seen some models which will still move off by a minute or so, even if you use this procedure, all due to the slack in the gears.

RG

Whoops! I heard someone told me that when using 7750 movement; don't turn backward during adjustment?

That mean he tell me wrong!!

If he said NEVER turn it backwards, he was wrong, yes. However, if he was saying don't turn backwards past midnight, he was right.

Like I said, turn forwards until you go a couple of minutes past the actual time and take up the slack backwards.

Turning back past midnight, won't hurt anything either, I do it all the time when servicing them...all that will happen is the datewheel will go to the previous date.

Well I'll be darned! You're the expert, I learn something new every day. :D

So, yes, your friend who said never set time backwards was uninformed, like me. :whistling:

The Zigmeister, is this how you make sure put the hands in to test the date switches at midnight?

Well I'll be darned! You're the expert, I learn something new every day. :D

So, yes, your friend who said never set time backwards was uninformed, like me. :whistling:

Ziggy, is this how you make sure put the hands in to test the date switches at midnight?

Expert...not really, just have a lot of hands on experience with this model...

Actually I do it going forward with the time, in other words, I advance the time until the date changes over, then install the hands at midnight. While installing the hands, I move them forwards backwards, whatever to make sure the hands clear each other, and the subdial hands. If you have a bent center post or cannon gear, you can get this up and down hand motion that can cause interferance issues...

RG