When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Panerai advice

Victoria

No leg-humping from me.

However, buy your 036 from Ruby instead of Joshua. Take the ~$50 you'll save and put it towards a nice strap. Just like "The clothes make the man" (woman, in this case), the straps make the watch.

Enjoy that mini-Fiddy. It's one of my favorite cases. Careful of the mineral crystal, though, the 44mm ones have been known to explode just like the 47mm model.

Enjoy that mini-Fiddy. It's one of my favorite cases. Careful of the mineral crystal, though, the 44mm ones have been known to explode just like the 47mm model.

As far as I heard, that is an issue of sapphire crystals only.

Oh, I thought VirginiaWatchFan's was a mineral. Perhaps not?

If you check that thread on RWI you will see that, as a matter of fact, noone talked of mineral glass but vdubpower, who wrongly assumed that his crystal was mineral just because it exploded (he actually even got angry with the dealer who had assured it was sapphire :) ).

It's a common mistake to believe that sapphire, being more scratch-resistant than glass, is also more crash-resistant. In reality, sapphire is less resistant than glass to crashes, cracks or so.

This makes sense as sapphire's structure is that of a crystal, while glass is amorphous. So, while sapphire surface is harder vs scratches, its whole structure is less able to bear with tensions and deformations. Glass has some ability to accomodate slight deformations, while sapphire responds in an all-or-nothing manner, and it suddenly explodes.

Apologies to vbarrett for this thread hijacking. I come back to the topic by assuring her that she can be confident that his mini fiddy's crystal is less likely to explode being it mineral than if it was sapphire.

If you check that thread on RWI you will see that, as a matter of fact, noone talked of mineral glass but vdubpower, who wrongly assumed that his crystal was mineral just because it exploded (he actually even got angry with the dealer who had assured it was sapphire :) ).

It's a common mistake to believe that sapphire, being more scratch-resistant than glass, is also more crash-resistant. In reality, sapphire is less resistant than glass to crashes, cracks or so.

This makes sense as sapphire's structure is that of a crystal, while glass is amorphous. So, while sapphire surface is harder vs scratches, its whole structure is less able to bear with tensions and deformations. Glass has some ability to accomodate slight deformations, while sapphire responds in an all-or-nothing manner, and it suddenly explodes.

Apologies to vbarrett for this thread hijacking. I come back to the topic by assuring her that she can be confident that his mini fiddy's crystal is less likely to explode being it mineral than if it was sapphire.

Oh gosh, sssurfer, I haven't been checking this original thread of mine, as closely as I should've. Thanks for all the tips, replies, and leg-humping! You better believe I enjoyed it.

Slightly concerned about the sapphire info, because wasn't it someone here whose mineral glass watch exploded embarrassingly in a restaurant? That's why I was favouring sapphire in all the other watches I've bought.

P.S.: No post on the Fourth of July. ARGH! The wait is killing me! I want my PAMs and I want them now! That's a direct quote from Sly Stallone.

Slightly concerned about the sapphire info, because wasn't it someone here whose mineral glass watch exploded embarrassingly in a restaurant? That's why I was favouring sapphire in all the other watches I've bought.

I seem to remember that the guy in the restaurant had his Polex bezel popping off.

Only three members (out of more than twenty) told that their exploded crystal was mineral. One of them told it on the (poorly reliable) water drop test, another one said it was advertised as 'synthetic sapphire' on Josh' site, the third one did not declare how he knew it was glass.

All other members with exploded crystals had 'ultimate' fiddies, 'best' fiddies, swiss versions (expensive and hardly coming with mineral glass), and 212.

In any case, even if those three were actually mineral glesses, ratio is about 7:1 against sapphire.

Almost all the talking against glass, under objective examination, reveals to be essentially rumors, suspicions and pre-assumptions.

Almost all the fixes have been made by getting a sapphire from Davidsen. Noone posted a follow-up, but I can suppose that DSN sapphires did not furtherly explode. DSN sapphires are thicker than usual reps, and a thick sapphire is with no doubt better than a thin glass. What I am telling is that a thin sapphire is worse than a thin glass.

You are absolutely right in preferring sapphire to glass. I'm just adding: with exception for domed sapphire.

I am so persuaded about this that, on my upcoming 212 purchase, I think I'll go for the glass version and avoid all sapphire versions.

BR, Everythingape, FxrAndy, thanks collectively so far for your replies! Just to save bandwidth here as a humble newbie, until that Upgrade Membership section works again. ;)

I suppose I should wait for that baby Fiddy, and might reconsider my hasty email to Paul as I waited for replies here.

I'm actually now wondering if this aren't worth it, better than my first link, of that price range (other than my original choice):

http://www.pam111.com/product_info.php?cPa...products_id=969 (Arktos)

http://www.pam111.com/product_info.php?cPa...roducts_id=1013 (Luminor Marina Auto)

RATIONALE

I guess, at heart, when SOME of us newbies want a rep watch, we want a watch that even a Panerai semi-expert might, on first glance, think is genuine, but certainly not on closer inspection. We're not that naive.

Here's my reverie:

I and my Paul-PAM are at a coffeeshop in South Beach. I look up, and a man is staring at my Panerai, and our eyes lock. He gives me an appreciative nod, and I smile saucily back at him.

That's it.

No "Is it a Valjoux movement and I see the lume is all wrong, and that strap is HIDEOUS!" type of conversation. Just something which happens all over the world -- insider appreciation.

Like sharing a naughty secret. :)

To confuse you even more ..LOL.... the 124,...090, PR's are included in my favorite PAM selection.... and members are working on getting a correct date Wheel (font) for it ... you may want to ask sssurfer to take a look at the pics of the movement ... sure looks like the same movement we all discussed a little while ago and if it is then it is one of the better movements out of China .... it's just the font is hard to look at ... sticks out like a sore thumb

some of the higher end dealers have less expensive asian movements also the same price as Paul .... my 199 submersible is getting a lot of wrist time ... i really like the look of that one ... the new upgraded model with almost correct mag and correct font. it goes well with the Mario Paci Noce..it has a suavivity that watch does... too bad they don't make and don't plan to make it in titanium... that would be the ultimate for me

I like what sssurfer has chosen ... sandwich dial with no date

And then there are the Titaniums ... like the 111 but in titanium ... i like the finish of TI when oxidized properly got a TI with brown dial ... cheap Asian movmt from andrew that i really like... keeps good time and after oxidizing it .. it looks great.

And being the fashion Queen that you probably are you know that accesorizing straps will either make or break the look .... LOL..... Mario paci ... DA BOMB ..

I will ever make fun of the female gender again (shoes) i am getting there with straps....

I know i have been of no help and have just taken up space so have a good weekend V.....

Edited by lanikai

And being the fashion Queen that you probably are you know that accesorizing straps will either make or break the look .... LOL..... Mario paci ... DA BOMB ..

I will ever make fun of the female gender again (shoes) i am getting there with straps....

I know i have been of no help and have just taken up space so have a good weekend V.....

Stop! You've been of tremendous help in this thread. I am so looking forward to that PAM 199, and to all the other mods I wil have done to my two other PAMs which thanks to you guys, I can do so knowledgeably now.

And speaking of straps...my God, may VISA take pity on me, because look:

http://mariopaci.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv...Product_Count=3

A gorgeous Mario Paci strap from Elliot to go with the submerssible look of the PAM 199. And it's on sale too!

Stop! You've been of tremendous help in this thread. I am so looking forward to that PAM 199, and to all the other mods I wil have done to my two other PAMs which thanks to you guys, I can do so knowledgeably now.

And speaking of straps...my God, may VISA take pity on me, because look:

http://mariopaci.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv...Product_Count=3

A gorgeous Mario Paci strap from Elliot to go with the submerssible look of the PAM 199. And it's on sale too!

since u started this thread i even look forward to reading everyones post about your hunt for the mini fiddy.... great looking strap girl!!!! bet u cannot wait to strap it on..... after all this i better add a mini fiddy to my collection.....

He or She who dies with the most watches/straps...WINS .. have a great week V