When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Panerai advice

Victoria

Recently, after saying "never nuh-uh, no way" did I ever want to buy a Panerai, I have fallen under the PAM spell.

But not having too much courage, I decided to splurge all of $119 and buy a "fantasy" Panerai from Paul of Wo-Mart fame (now of Pam111.com fame). He's a really nice, communicative guy, plus one of his watches already arrived and was STUNNING. More about that later in another forum.

I realise a lot of people like Josh's PAMs, but he's expensive, so just bear with me in the beginning. I'm a newbie just experimenting with watches, and want quantity over quality right now.

Long story longer, the fantasy PAM I bought from Paul is difficult to get, and I WANT MY PANERAI NOW. Like yesterday. Been waiting a week already. *joneses*

Here is what I ordered:

PAM Manual Radiomir with funky Crown

http://www.pam111.com/product_info.php?cPa...roducts_id=1093

And this is what I want to tell him tonight that I want to exchange it for:

PAM 124 Power Reserve

http://www.pam111.com/product_info.php?products_id=951

So, I'd like to know from you experts if this el-cheapo copy is JUST good enough to pass muster.

I don't want to spend more than what I have, so though I do appreciate any future suggestions (I've already gotten great tips for the PAM 036 in tabaky brown to buy from Josh not Paul, using the search button!) -- but this is my price range now.

P.S.: I'm on the Panerai site, as we speak, and it looks like Paul used the PAM 171 dial, but instead of a SS bracelet, he put on a leather one. I can live with that, as I've already gone bonkers on eBay and bought 4 leather straps in anticipation.

Whew, this Panerai fever is BAD! Someone shoulda warned me!

1. Start with a 111. It is part of the ritual :p

2. Plan ahead: You will end up with more than one panerai. Having a bad one for start, guarantees that it will get no wrist time in the future.

3. Stay with manuals in the beginning. P.R.display and autos with dates are harder to get right in low price.

1. Start with a 111. It is part of the ritual :p

2. Plan ahead: You will end up with more than one panerai. Having a bad one for start, guarantees that it will get no wrist time in the future.

3. Stay with manuals in the beginning. P.R.display and autos with dates are harder to get right in low price.

Not that I am not EXTREMELY grateful to you for the advice, but I have noticed that when a person asks for some specific advice, sometimes you get the Chinese menu of 1/2/3 of what-to-do, when you're starting out.

That's awesome, seriously, but if someone could just give me specific advice on my question, I would be in seven heaven. Really, I'll take pics of my curled up toes, to prove it. :)

So, I'd like to know from you experts if this el-cheapo copy is JUST good enough to pass muster.

Whew, this Panerai fever is BAD! Someone shoulda warned me!

I assume you are asking if it will pass the scrutinous eye of a Panerai semi-expert?

It most likely wont..

But if you're asking if it looks good enough to be called a pretty watch, I'll have to say that I personally think the Radiomir looks 100% better than the 124. I would without a doubt wait for the watch!

Hell ..I'll even buy it from you for $110 if you don't like it. :) ..I think.

My first Pam was the 111h and even though I love it, I just about never wear it. But I do know I'll never get rid of it.

Enjoy whatever choice you make.. this is all part of the fun.

If you want to know if it will fool any one "pass muster" then if they are from here or time zone or paneristeri then no! the average man on the street has never heard of Panerai so fool them yes, but in the end it is a rep and the only persn you are fooling is your self.

Will it be a nice watch and tell the time and please you "pass muster" then yes.

No :) There! Happier now? ;)

IF I could choose only between these two reps, I would go for the mini fiddy (your initial choice)

That being said, if you decide to sell either of them on the second hand market, you will not lose a lot of money. New members are more confident buying locally.

Hope this helps a bit.

BR

I assume you are asking if it will pass the scrutinous eye of a Panerai semi-expert?

It most likely wont..

But if you're asking if it looks good enough to be called a pretty watch, I'll have to say that I personally think the Radiomir looks 100% better than the 124. I would without a doubt wait for the watch!

Hell ..I'll even buy it from you for $110 if you don't like it. :) ..I think.

My first Pam was the 111h and even though I love it, I just about never wear it. But I do know I'll never get rid of it.

Enjoy whatever choice you make.. this is all part of the fun.

I agree with all the lines above! :) (yes, even the 111 thing)

No :) There! Happier now? ;)

IF I could choose only between these two reps, I would go for the mini fiddy (your initial choice)

That being said, if you decide to sell either of them on the second hand market, you will not lose a lot of money. New members are more confident buying locally.

Hope this helps a bit.

BR

BR, Everythingape, FxrAndy, thanks collectively so far for your replies! Just to save bandwidth here as a humble newbie, until that Upgrade Membership section works again. ;)

I suppose I should wait for that baby Fiddy, and might reconsider my hasty email to Paul as I waited for replies here.

I'm actually now wondering if this aren't worth it, better than my first link, of that price range (other than my original choice):

http://www.pam111.com/product_info.php?cPa...products_id=969 (Arktos)

http://www.pam111.com/product_info.php?cPa...roducts_id=1013 (Luminor Marina Auto)

RATIONALE

I guess, at heart, when SOME of us newbies want a rep watch, we want a watch that even a Panerai semi-expert might, on first glance, think is genuine, but certainly not on closer inspection. We're not that naive.

Here's my reverie:

I and my Paul-PAM are at a coffeeshop in South Beach. I look up, and a man is staring at my Panerai, and our eyes lock. He gives me an appreciative nod, and I smile saucily back at him.

That's it.

No "Is it a Valjoux movement and I see the lume is all wrong, and that strap is HIDEOUS!" type of conversation. Just something which happens all over the world -- insider appreciation.

Like sharing a naughty secret. :)

I and my Paul-PAM are at a coffeeshop in South Beach. I look up, and a man is staring at my Panerai, and our eyes lock. He gives me an appreciative nod, and I smile saucily back at him

I hope you are female, and smiling saucily back!

I'm no expert here, but I do not think that submersible would fool anyone slightly in the know.. I guess the cheap ones never do. The crown is what I always look at first on a Panerai like that.

A better looking one:

PAM 024

And the 086, not as nice as the Radiomir.. I think it's the shiny subdial @ 9 that's putting me off these watches. I'm no fan of cyclopses either, but once again this all comes down to personal preferance.

But of the 4, I'd say mini-fiddy first, 086 second.. And you're still not wanting the 111h? :p

Nice to meet you victoria. 47 looks good on the right form at the right time.

Heya Andy. :)

I checked out and replied to Rima's Watch Collection thread, where she said she had a 6.5" wrist. I said then that I thought we were about the same, but actually, on measuring mine is closer to 5.7".

47mm can indeed be passed off by the right lady, if she has a beefier frame than I. But I think the 44mm might just be my ceiling though.

I'm no expert here, but I do not think that submersible would fool anyone slightly in the know.. I guess the cheap ones never do. The crown is what I always look at first on a Panerai like that.

And the 086, not as nice as the Radiomir.. I think it's the shiny subdial @ 9 that's putting me off these watches. I'm no fan of cyclopses either, but once again this all comes down to personal preferance.

But of the 4, I'd say mini-fiddy first, 086 second.. And you're still not wanting the 111h? :p

You're right about that 086. It's growing on me. It's just that except I can't find it on the Panerai official site...but that means nothing, I'm sure.

As for the 111h, sure! But as I say, I'm at the $119 range right now, as its my first. Find me one at that price with Paul, and I'll snap it up. Until then, I'm saving. :)

Okay, off to work out, ciao guys, and thanks!

One more reason to wait for the mini fiddy. The fiddy case is very nice to wear, and the 47 might be too much for you. All panerai addicts, have to try sooner or later a fiddy. This is your chance/size. Even if you come across a paneristi you can sweet talk your way out of you wearing a rep, since panerai hasn't released a 44fiddy yet.. What is a girl supposed to do? :)

The arktos is too technical..the bezel is too round and tall.

Forget your first auto too. The auto open back can be quite embarrassing.

BTW: Sorry to interrupt the flow.. Have you paid for your watch? There is a chance that the mini fiddy is not available anywhere, and you are being dealt the old telephone marketing practice: get the lead by promising anything, and then we will figure out what they want from our inventory.. I am not saying that because it is Paul involved. I have only good transactions so far with him.. Just trying to get the whole picture..

One more reason to wait for the mini fiddy. The fiddy case is very nice to wear, and the 47 might be too much for you. All panerai addicts, have to try sooner or later a fiddy. This is your chance/size. Even if you come across a paneristi you can sweet talk your way out of you wearing a rep, since panerai hasn't released a 44fiddy yet.. What is a girl supposed to do? :)

The arktos is too technical..the bezel is too round and tall.

Forget your first auto too. The auto open back can be quite embarrassing.

BTW: Sorry to interrupt the flow.. Have you paid for your watch? There is a chance that the mini fiddy is not available anywhere, and you are being dealt the old telephone marketing practice: get the lead by promising anything, and then we will figure out what they want from our inventory.. I am not saying that because it is Paul involved. I have only good transactions so far with him.. Just trying to get the whole picture..

Heh, about "what is a girl supposed to do?" line. I might just use it!

Yes, I have paid for my watch, and this is the second time by two respected dealers who offer something on their website, not available in real life.

I understand they deal with a hundred details every day, but if they don't have it in stock, and it's not easy to get (which is the case with both of these purchases), then for goodness' sakes, take it out of your site!

My frustration boileth over, but not enough to make me forget my manners -- your points are excellent, thanks!

I would say: go for the mini fiddy, it would look gorgeous on a chick's wrist.

But, if you want quite an accurate model @ 119 bucks... excluding all 40mm models... uhm, I hate to add even more choices, but you might consider the 140 (the golden 104).

Or the 190 (Radiomir 8 days SS, 45mm).

This is very similar to the mini fiddy you originally choosed, but no fantasy.

http://www.pam111.com/product_info.php?cPa...products_id=802

Or the 190 (Radiomir 8 days SS, 45mm).

This is very similar to the mini fiddy you originally choosed, but no fantasy.

Wow, sssurfer, thanks for taking the time (pun intended) of checking out the watches available for that price!

I had a quick look at the 140, and I really like it, even though rose-gold isn't a big fave of mine in general. I'll check out the other one, and let Paul know either way, that I want a PAM now. ;)

Wow, sssurfer, thanks for taking the time (pun intended) of checking out the watches available for that price!

You are welcome.

(I simply couldn't resist a 32yrs lady whose name is Victoria and who loves watches... :D )

You are welcome.

(I simply couldn't resist a 32yrs lady whose name is Victoria and who loves watches... :D )

I hate my age being shown there, sssurfer! What on earth? A lady has her secrets, RWG Forum!

I might as well post my bra size too (don't go there!). ;)

Good news, everyone. Paul this very moment confirmed that the fantasy mini-Fiddy is on its way to me. Just yesterday he intimated it might take weeks...that's the way of the Chinese rep trade, I guess. You ask around, sometimes you get the rep your customer wants, and sometimes not.

I'll post photos when I upgrade my account, as soon as that's back on line.

Thanks all!

Good for you V, and welcome to the female Pam owners club.

You will really like it, and you'll see, Pams are all about admiring glances.