When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Joshua's Serviced Planet Oceans - Waterproof Test

TJGladeRaider

After the interest that was generated here when I started waterproof testing watches, Joshua offered to have his watch smith service and mod some watches prior to delivery. I ordered several that were to be fully serviced, timed and properly waterproofed. I am particularly anxious to see how the Rolex Sub Mods turn out - but these are what I received thus far.

post-223-1146283436.jpg

Here are pictures of the Plante Oceans with the black bezel

post-223-1146283452.jpg post-223-1146283464.jpg

Here are pictures of the Plante Oceans with the black bezel

post-223-1146283488.jpg post-223-1146283501.jpg

I'll leave it to you guys to pic these PO reps apart. Compared to the best PO reps out there . . . frankly, they just don't. You can start with the printed Omega symbol and crown. On the other hand, the workmanship is nice and it seems like a solid watch.

What I am interested in with this batch is the feasibility of buying reps that have been properly serviced, timed and waterproofed prior to delivery with mods as required. I think this has great promise.

I will edit this post to add the results once I have waterproof tested them, and checked them for timing against the Official US Time Clock on the Net.

At this point, I have had a chance to test the water resistance of all four watches from this serviced batch.

For those who may not have seen on of these tests, understand that you are not looking for a bubble or two. With watches having bezels, there will always be some air bubbles trapped between them and the crystal or case. Those bubbles will expand to four times their size by the time the pressure is released.

To put this in perspective, you pumpt the assembly to 4ATM before you put the watch in the water. That means that if the watch is not airtight, you will pump four times the air into the watch that it normally holds. If the watch is airtight, it makes no difference - the volume remains the same.

You start to release the pressure and submerge the watch. If it has four times the air that should be in it, that is a LOT of air that must come back out through the leak.

post-223-1146347255.jpg post-223-1146347533.jpg

post-223-1146347379.jpg post-223-1146347568.jpg

post-223-1146347434.jpg post-223-1146347609.jpg

post-223-1146347434.jpg post-223-1146347687.jpg

These watches did just fine. Now I have them all timed to match the US Official time clock. We'll see how they do in a week.

post-223-1146348082.jpg

Bill

post-223-1146347502.jpg

So it appears as though two of our dealers are taking into consideration the thoughts and views of our members :thumbsupsmileyanim: which no matter what way you swing it, sounds great to me :Jumpy:

My hats off to Andrew and Joshua for their efforts to at least improve the reps that are accessible to us!

I'm happy and eager to see more when you get the results of your tests and new stocks in!

:victory:

Jon

So it appears as though two of our dealers are taking into consideration the thoughts and views of our members :thumbsupsmileyanim: which no matter what way you swing it, sounds great to me :Jumpy:

My hats off to Andrew and Joshua for their efforts to at least improve the reps that are accessible to us!

I'm happy and eager to see more when you get the results of your tests and new stocks in!

:victory:

Jon

It's good business--they see that lots of people are having their watches modded, so they're selling pre modded watches.

I think the real benefit will come to them when they start offering more of the popular mods alreadypre- done--milled guards on subs, upgraded parts, real AR coat, corrected datewheels, etc. But I predict some real money can be made by the dealer who offers the mods and watches that nobody else has--correct H series guards, an automatic PAM offered in Ti (all they'd have to do is have a solid Ti back made and then throw an auto movement and dial into a 36 case), etc.

Jos and Andrew seem to be making a run to become the Bill Gateses of the rep world--serious collectors like us will benefit from the race.

It is indeed impressive that of large scale dealer is having true quality control (QC) performed on the items before they are being sent out.

Notwithstanding are the dealers "fight" for having the best PO to offer just hype or are we witnessing a true battle for providing the best quality PO etc out there....?)

G. :)