When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Dealer anxiety

Victoria

(No names not mentioned for discretion)

The deal is like this. I've had a problem with a watch from a dealer who was extraordinarily chatty until the point I mentioned replacement parts.

Actually, two dealers, but with that other dealer he was always professional and friendly, but erratic in his emails. I'm used to it by now.

With the former dealer, he couldn't have been quicker in replies, and helping me to purchase any number of items online. Every time I refreshed, there was a reply from him.

But ever since my "Problem, can you send this replacement part" email to him, he's been giving me the good, ole-fashioned runaround. Doesn't respond. Asks for clarification (5x) when I have made my points as clear as day in each reply; in fact, hasn't replied in 2 days to my last payment info, which he usually would without fail even on the weekend (especially on the weekend).

This seems like stall tactics to me.

Is this common? Or is it just my newbieness and impatience showing up?

I think what compounds this is that all his other watches that I've ordered from him have turned out to be a little substandard. They look great, but the movements are clunky, and need seeing to every moment. I also purchased one non-watch item from him, which turned out to be an ABSOLUTE JOKE. Something which probably costs a few Yuan in Hong Kong, in the street corner, for a plasticky ripoff.

In his favour, he said I could choose another, but I am concerned. I'm this close to not ordering from him again.

I said no names, but it's not Andrew or Joshua. They're the creme-de-la-creme, and now I know why.

I've had a few issues with rep purchases but they have usually worked out. I've had to get a little snippy (but never rude) to finally get results.

I really feel for these guys. Can you imagine the volume of e-mails and problems they deal with daily. I'd say that up to 30% of most reps have some sort of an issue. Our trusted dealers must spend alot of time on the computer just handling problems. I've dealt in watches before (not reps) and I know that it can be very stressful. Many of the customers I had dealings with were total flakes. Many would tear up their watches and then try to blame me.

Selling automatics were the worst. Many newbies just can't quite grasp how automatics operate. I actually had customers e-mail me all [censored] off because their $1000 Omega had quit after 3 days laying on the dresser. Duh!! The headaches were why I quit selling.

Just remember to be nice, have your facts straight and be patient. I hope it works out for you, but if not, move on and learn a lesson. I've come to realize that in rep collecting, you will loose money from time to time (especially in International shipping). When you find a good dealer, stick with them! Andrew has always treated me great so he gets the first shot at my business.

Edited by predfan2001

I've had a few issues with rep purchases but they have usually worked out. I've had to get a little snippy (but never rude) to finally get results.

In my last email to him, I made it plain that I like him as a dealer, but will not stand for the run-around. No reply (as yet).

I really feel for these guys. Can you imagine the volume of e-mails and problems they deal with daily. I'd say that up to 30% of most reps have some sort of an issue. Our trusted dealers must spend alot of time on the computer just handling problems. I've dealt in watches before (not reps) and I know that it can be very stressful. Many of the customers I had dealings with were total flakes. Many would tear up their watches and then try to blame me.
Awful situation, no wonder you quit!

The other day I remonstrated with Andrew, asking him not to work so hard. There he was, at an ungodly hour his time, waking up just to answer all his emails. I told him (and meant it), "enjoy life once in a while!", because even on Sundays he's there at it on his computer. Poor guy.

He's like all of the good ones, I'm sure.

Selling automatics were the worst. Many newbies just can't quite grasp how automatics operate. I actually had customers e-mail me all [censored] off because their $1000 Omega had quit after 3 days laying on the dresser. Duh!! The headaches were why I quit selling.

Heh. I can imagine. I do have automatics from this seller, and others, and yes, they are the ones which are the klunky movements, but in their case, no matter how much I wear them, they quit after 3 hours. I'm certain that's not right, but hey. Lesson learnt as you say...

Just remember to be nice, have your fact straight and be patient. I hope it works out for you, but if not, move on and learn a lesson. I've come to realize that in rep collecting, you will loose money from time to time. When you find a good dealer, stick with them!

Words to buy by. Thanks Predfan. :)

Although discretion is indeed an admirable trait, with matters like this, it is always helpful to know who the dealer is, as sometimes, others have had similar experiences, but said nothing, and, if no one ever says anything bad, then someone who was once a good dealer, can indeed 'go over to the DarkSide', and start ripping people off, and, unless people speak up, then other buyers will likewise fall victim to poor deals... I hope you get the issues resolved, I'm at something of an irritating impasse with a dealer myself, which I suspect will result in me having to ship the watch back to them at my expense afterall. If I do have to do that, I will be seriously [censored] off...

Maybe the dealer had to check whether the replacement part is available.

Possibly, but, when one reads about people being stalled by tales of watches not passing QC, and the arriving item also having faults, it does make one a tad scheptical.

Miss Barrett

you should update your membership to VIP. 3 weeks here and 170 posts :victory:

you will be the first postmaster without VIP membership :wounded1:

or should we spend you a VIP membership :winkiss:

Mister/Miss Tourby:

Please check my recent post in the Membership Upgrade (General Disc.) thread. You'll find I was informed there is STILL a problem, and I have to wait at least a week before it is addressed by travelling admins. ;)

@Miss V....tain't me......:D

because even on Sundays he's there at it on his computer. Poor guy.
Lot of mouths to feed in China......gotta keep your nose to the grindstone.......you can't build a dynasty otherwise.......you know the old saying...'the only time success comes before work.....is in the dictionary"......!

He's like all of the good ones, I'm sure.

No.....!

Edited by TTK

Although discretion is indeed an admirable trait, with matters like this, it is always helpful to know who the dealer is, as sometimes, others have had similar experiences, but said nothing, and, if no one ever says anything bad, then someone who was once a good dealer, can indeed 'go over to the DarkSide', and start ripping people off, and, unless people speak up, then other buyers will likewise fall victim to poor deals... I hope you get the issues resolved, I'm at something of an irritating impasse with a dealer myself, which I suspect will result in me having to ship the watch back to them at my expense afterall. If I do have to do that, I will be seriously [censored] off...

TeeJay, I'll still err on the side of discretion, as yet. If he fails to respond tonight as I just resent my payment info and replacement details, then I'll pipe up.

I will say that more CIA-personalitied members might recall I named the dealer, in the 50% bad rep thread (it's obviously the one with a non-watch item mentioned). I had been told frequently by members here that most of the high-volume sellers are all prone to mistakes, but that only Andrew/Josh stand 100% behind their watches when problems arise.

(The difference is that there was one problem then. Now it's three...)

@Miss V....tain't me......:D

Not yet, TTK! :)

I am also about to buy from another dealer who posts frequently here, and will no doubt, eventually get to you. ;)

Lot of mouths to feed in China......gotta keep your nose to the grindstone.......you can't build a dynasty otherwise.......you know the old saying...'the only time success comes before work.....is in the dictionary"......!

No.....!

LOL! Must remember that one.

Possibly, but, when one reads about people being stalled by tales of watches not passing QC, and the arriving item also having faults, it does make one a tad scheptical.

I want to be fair, and agree with Piraeus, but the problem is indeed this. With another dealer, I was told it takes 2 days minimum before receiving my EMS tracking number because of "very much quality control" in his words. Sounded great to me, and when I got it, well, you know. Kaputt.

Now I ask for them to re-double check their QC before sending it out to me. I did so of Andrew, on a very important watch bought for my ailing father. I said, I know you'll take care of me if something goes wrong, but if it's something that can be avoided in the first place (sticky dials, bad bracelets), I'd really appreciate it.

Very next refresh, there was his personal assurance he would do so. That's customer service!

Mini-update:

The dealer got back to me at this time of the night, his time in China (3 emails asking the same thing, "please explain to me once again what is the problem").

I told him, I confess a little coldly, that I have explained it to him FIVE times, with photographic evidence of what is wrong.

That I wasn't sure if someone else was handling his correspondence, but it didn't seem like the dealer I had dealt previously (indeed, the expressions, and general "voice" of the emails were completely different. Maybe he was on holiday, who knows).

But I have noticed one quirk when trying to get a recalcitrant dealer to help you out:

They tend to answer your email REALLY late in the working day, so that another day passes by without a satisfactory response or addressing the problem, all the while looking as if they are at least talking to you. That's also what I meant about the runaround. Not only asking you to explain again and again what is wrong, but these insulting stall tactics too.

I'm this close to admitting who the vendor is, but I'll give it another week and then post in the dealer review section, especially if it's not solved by then.

TeeJay, I'll still err on the side of discretion, as yet. If he fails to respond tonight as I just resent my payment info and replacement details, then I'll pipe up.

I will say that more CIA-personalitied members might recall I named the dealer, in the 50% bad rep thread (it's obviously the one with a non-watch item mentioned). I had been told frequently by members here that most of the high-volume sellers are all prone to mistakes, but that only Andrew/Josh stand 100% behind their watches when problems arise.

(The difference is that there was one problem then. Now it's three...)

Info assimilated... As I thought... Indeed, another morning has passed without an email confirming the state of play. To be honest, I'm on the verge of just taking the watch into a local repair shop, who I am more than happy to give the business to. The only thing preventing me from doing it, is I dont see why I should spend a penny to have an item repaired which arrived faulty, and was clearly never QCd in the beginning :(

Info assimilated... As I thought... Indeed, another morning has passed without an email confirming the state of play. To be honest, I'm on the verge of just taking the watch into a local repair shop, who I am more than happy to give the business to. The only thing preventing me from doing it, is I dont see why I should spend a penny to have an item repaired which arrived faulty, and was clearly never QCd in the beginning :(

I'm sorry for your own troubles, TeeJay. :(

And yep...and it was you who warned me about that very seller too, in terms of getting satisfaction (heh, that sounded dodgy). Still, maybe it'll work out in the end and I don't want to prejudice anyone's reputation without giving every chance to rectify a situation.

In happier news, I've just placed an order from what seems to me, a brilliant dealer we all know and sometimes love on RWG. Even if an overused simile, I can say the whole procedure went swimmingly. I did the backstrok all the way.

God, I can finally go to bed...whew, this rep business is putting a crimp on my beauty sleep!

I'm sorry for your own troubles, TeeJay. :(

And yep...and it was you who warned me about that very seller too, in terms of getting satisfaction (heh, that sounded dodgy). Still, maybe it'll work out in the end and I don't want to prejudice anyone's reputation without giving every chance to rectify a situation.

In happier news, I've just placed an order from what seems to me, a brilliant dealer we all know and sometimes love on RWG. Even if an overused simile, I can say the whole procedure went swimmingly. I did the backstrok all the way.

God, I can finally go to bed...whew, this rep business is putting a crimp on my beauty sleep!

It'll all get worked out somehow, but I have a feeling it'll wind up costing me as much in repair fees as I paid for the watch itself... From now on, I stick with the dealers I know I can trust :D

Sounds good, I hope this deal goes better for you :)

T'aint me......!

No....men who think they're men..... like that.....and ladies don't pander to it.....B)

I am not a lady, I am a young grande dame! ;)

Well, guys, the dealer sent me yet another "Please explain to me again what has happened email?" for the, oh I don't know, 7th time in a row? He always does so LAAAATE in the day his time, so that it's closing time, and another day passes by without resolution as mentioned above.

I got tought. I told him in an email that if by tomorrow, my time, he doesn't give me definitive info on whether he will be sending me the replacement parts for the CG (not to mention, acknowledging a payment I sent him for a new watch, stupid stupid on my part to have bought another watch from him during this...), I would reveal his name and a run-down of what has happened to date.

Let's just say if that happens, from what others told me here 3 weeks ago, it won't come as a major surprise.

*bangs head on monitor*

Keep smiling Vic it is just the way of the game, almost the fun part but that is getting the watch, I always like to wait a while before i open the package, it makes it more fun. I hope you get this sorted though.

Keep smiling Vic it is just the way of the game, almost the fun part but that is getting the watch, I always like to wait a while before i open the package, it makes it more fun. I hope you get this sorted though.

Thanks for the encouragement, FxrAndy. :)

Here is an update, purely to make you guys laugh/scratch your heads/make you go, "Aww come on now Vic!":

The dealer contacted me LAAAATE his time again, asking for more info (8x). Then I get another email saying that his power went out, and he can't stay by the computer 24 hours a day.

I have to admit, that one made me laugh.

I'm just glad his dog didn't eat his homework.

The dealer contacted me LAAAATE his time again, asking for more info (8x). Then I get another email saying that his power went out, and he can't stay by the computer 24 hours a day.

Apparently, he is staying by his computer late. He just emailed me. And this is my final update about this matter here.

He asked me to ship the fantasy mini-Fiddy to him, to fix the broken "parts" (it's the crown guard, if you recall from my huge thread in the PAM forum). I declined, stating that I have been told by knowledgeable people here not to send back the watch, and that also my gut instinct was not to send it back.

At least he offered a solution, and for that I am grateful. But his entire behaviour when something went wrong with his watches (and all his other watches have had some kind of problem...), not to mention his sending a USED RUSTED plasticky Mont Blanc pen for $35, inspires little desire to return to him.

I'm sure a lot of you have figured it out by now, but the dealer is Paul of Wo-Mart fame.

He's a nice guy. His prices are fantastic. Just don't have a problem with his goods. If you do, you might get what I experienced above. Or hey, maybe not. It all depends on the item, the problem and many other factors, I'm sure.

But...n00b lesson learnt. Thanks for reading, guys.

I don't understand why you guys still buying to this man...

There are so many dealer here with aweome reviews. A dealer who put pictures of a client who have not paid with a reward in case we can get him info or his money it is really a strange way to clean his business...

I cannot imagine if the guy was selling gold bars ...

Stop dealing with this guy, in case he has a very rare piece in his stock...!

Take the usual man who answer to their emails and are a real active person in the community...

I don't understand why you guys still buying to this man...

There are so many dealer here with aweome reviews. A dealer who put pictures of a client who have not paid with a reward in case we can get him info or his money it is really a strange way to clean his business...

I cannot imagine if the guy was selling gold bars ...

LOL! I think...if that's really true (the "reward" part) that's scary.

Stop dealing with this guy, in case he has a very rare piece in his stock...!

Take the usual man who answer to their emails and are a real active person in the community...

I have only myself to blame. Everyone and their rep-loving mothers told me to stick to Joshua/Andrew on the first tier, and other valued collectors who we have here, like Narikaa.