When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PAM Asian 7750 vs PAM Asian 21-jewels automatic

Rolexman

Why pay around USD 300,- for a Pam with an Asian 7750 movement (no chronograph feature) if you can get the same one with an Asian 21-jewels automatic for around USD 100,-.... they're both Asian so what is the difference??

Edited by Rolexman

asian 7750 are pretty reliable..i think...

the asian 7750 that is used in chrono watches seems to be a problematic one...even if my 196 runs perfectly...

asian 21j is also a good mvt...however the 7750 used in non-chrono watches is better..but the question is if it is worth the 200$ extra?!!

Indeed!!.... 200 bucks is a lot of money. Isn't there anybody who can shed some light on the matter??

There is no light to be shed..

1 and a half year ago the PAM 196 came out and it was one of the most accurate PAM visual (and still is in the top ten) with a fully working chronograph with date.

If you are a chrono guy, you get a working automatic chronograph and you pay for it.

The manual chronographs (like the Venus on the 192) they are not expensive probably because they don't have any modifications.

We're talking about the non-chronoraph versions.......

For example Andrews PAM 104

PAM 104 USD 118,- (Asian 21-jewels automatic)

36733-39154.jpg

PAM 104 USD 298,- (Asian 7750)

36733-39155.jpg

Different angles but almost visually identical (except from some small dial differences)... not worth USD 200,- IMHO

Edited by Rolexman

The latest 7750 is a very good and reliable movement as verified by The Zigmeister. A lot of the parts are interchangable with the genuine Swiss 7750 so service is easy and available.

For the 21j movement, I haven't seen any extensive review of it. As far as I know, there is no service or parts readily available. You can only replace the movement if there is a problem.

The price difference also goes to the saphire crytal comes with the expensive version. The cheaper version only comes with mineral glass.

The price difference also goes to the saphire crytal comes with the expensive version. The cheaper version only comes with mineral glass.

NOT TRUE!.... both are synthetic sapphire!!

Edited by Rolexman

NOT TRUE!.... both are synthetic sapphire!!

The cheaper version advertised as "synthetic sahphire" but really is mineral glass. The 7750 version comes with "saphire crystal" which is real synthetic saphire.

That is my understanding. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

One reason why you should choose the Asian 7750 - SMOOTH SECOND HAND OPERATION:

- The Asian 21 movement in a PAM circular second hand is often jerky as evident in the Pam 90 POwer Reserve as observed by posts on this and other Boards.

- The Asian 7750 PAM circular second hand is very smooth and not jerky, see Arktos. This is the best reason to pick the 7750!!

TimeShare

Edited by TmeShare

About sapphire:

Some time ago I came to the conclusion that it is Andrew's dictionary to call 'sinthetic sapphire' for mineral glass, and 'sapphire' (only) for sapphire.

Once you know it, it can't harm you.

About Asian 21j vs Asian 7750:

Naturally 7750 (or ETA 7753) is the only choice for chronographs.

Chronographs excluded, i think that 7750 is better but it could stand for a $80-100 difference, no more than that.

NOT TRUE!!

Both synthetic sapphire!! (Asian 21-jewels and 7750).

No replica comes with real crystal sapphire!!!

NOT TRUE & TRUE..!!!

The Asian 21j version comes with mineral glass, not synthetic saphire. You can confirm that with the dealers.

Edited by tutima

There is only 1 reason to take the Asian 21J

The asian versions are more accurate to the real deal in their outer appearance.....all those 7750 B1 versions I saw had too many flaws:

- A-series style but with lumed indizees that sit on stainless steel dots -> WRONG

- A-series style but with a brushed bezel -> WRONG

- A-series style but with a rotating bezel for 1 minutes -> WRONG (has to be 5 minutes!)

- ....the list can be continued.

So I got all those Asian 21J models, they are worth the bucks and I love them. I rather pay 100$, use the watch careless and when it breaks....who the [censored] cares ´bout. For 300$ it would be another game, I´d be very carefull with that piece...but I don´t want to, it´s a rep after all!

Just my 0.02$

Theo

Edited by PAM1A

The Asian 7750 -

It has running seconds at 9 o'clock as you get with many PAMs such as the Arktos etc. It also has a day/date function.

The problems with the Asian 7750 (as far as I know) is when there are extra gears added to move the subdials - a good example is the Daytona that has running seconds at 6 o'clock (as detailed in The Zigmeister's review).

With no strain coming from chrono functions, I doubt there would be (m)any problems with this movement in a non-chrono rep with running seconds at 9 o'clock.

As for the price, I think the price is similar to the chrono reps with Asian 7750.

The way a dealer/manufacturer figures it, is they have to sell the same movement based watch the same price, regardless of the chrono functions.

Personally, I would think that a chrono rep would cost more because there are subdials as well as extra hands on the watch for this function.

The non-chrono rep doesn't need extra hands or pushers so should cost cheaper... although I don't know by how much.