When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PAM 6152 owners

Just had a brainwave for my next project. Ususally I get these ideas as a result of something lacking with my own reps and one such annoyance is the crystal of my 6152 Marina Militaire. Even though I am lucky to have a Plexi glass already it is still the wrong shape. The correct shape is a solid crystal with a flat underside and a gentle curved top with vertical sides that are about 5mm high so the crystal sits out from the bezel by a couple of mm's.

How many of you would be interested. This would be for all the vintage series with Molnija (have I got that right this time?) movts but not the cases with wire lugs.

No idea of any costs yet but I am putting the feelers out to prospective makers so please indicate your interest. :)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Man... You're killing me! I have been looking high and low for a plexi to fit on my 45mm 3646 hommage (based on a 183 rep). WM had some, but haven't had much luck down that road, so I'm still searching.

No love for a Radiomir case?

Mmmmmm - all thing are possible!! The 6152 is probably the easiest to make as it is a very simple shape - if you can provide dimensions for me I can make enquiries about that as well.

I'll need to see what I can do. I'm caliper-less at the moment, so getting measurements might take me a bit. But, I'm looking for basically the same dome/crystal shape as the one you are proposing for the 6152; simple dome with 5mm height... That would be perfect!

I am sure that most owners of the WM custom made hommage pieces (based on the 183 case) may want one of these crystals as a spare. Of course, I can't speak on those owners' behalf, but seeing as how WM is not very active these days, and parts are not easy to come by on these pieces, having a source for such things would probably be greatly appreciated.

:)

• 2 weeks later...
Well the news is this. I can tell you that Guilles on the Panereh review paid around 220euros for his acrylic crystal. I have a company here that I have sent the specs to but am still waiting for an answer - 220eu is a lot of dosh!!

You Bet!!!

Let´s pray for a mellower price...

Thanks for keeping us informed.

best regards,

marco

• 2 months later...

Thick plexiGlass for vintage pam's (6mm at center) - i found a local manuf who would do a custom cut. the tolerance i gave them was 0.015in. the lead time is 3wks, so in about a month, i will have a batch. i also got a pretty good initial quote (still working on the last detail). so i think i can provide them for a reasonable price. it will be well under 100. if anyone is interested, PM me.

I'm also thinking about having my friend, who has a machine shop, make a tool to remove/install crystal to the bezel (reading from various threads, this sounded like a bit tough without proper tool - if anyone has info on this, i'd appreciate).

Edited by gattenda

Thick plexiGlass for vintage pam's (6mm at center) - i found a local manuf who would do a custom cut. the tolerance i gave them was 0.015in. the lead time is 3wks, so in about a month, i will have a batch. i also got a pretty good initial quote (still working on the last detail). so i think i can provide them for a reasonable price. it will be well under 100. if anyone is interested, PM me.

I'm also thinking about having my friend, who has a machine shop, make a tool to remove/install crystal to the bezel (reading from various threads, this sounded like a bit tough without proper tool - if anyone has info on this, i'd appreciate).

I would be very careful getting them made like this. There are several variations of existing crystal out there all with different sizes so which one are you going to make??? My maker takes the existing crystal and sets his machine to copy the diameter exactly - guaranteed to fit and then I hand finish them to create the curved sides which is something that cannot be done on the mnachine. Never a good idea to make a large batch of something unless you know it is going to work as you could end up with a lot of unsold plastic on your bench. This is why I have them made one at a time to order and for £85 inc shipping they are not bad.

I would be very careful getting them made like this. There are several variations of existing crystal out there all with different sizes so which one are you going to make??? My maker takes the existing crystal and sets his machine to copy the diameter exactly - guaranteed to fit and then I hand finish them to create the curved sides which is something that cannot be done on the mnachine. Never a good idea to make a large batch of something unless you know it is going to work as you could end up with a lot of unsold plastic on your bench. This is why I have them made one at a time to order and for £85 inc shipping they are not bad.

Finepics,

thanks for the insight. i did consider that there may be slight variations from one another, depending on the vendor, etc. I was giong to take 1 of them, then measure using a digital caliper (0.01mm accuracy) then give that to the shop. Also, for the exact reason you mentioned, i am discussing with them about reducing the volume to may be a dozen or so. Nonetheless, my negotiation hasn't concluded yet and lower volume would naturally drive the price higher, so the figure i gave is still rather a best case senario, and i have to agree that 85GBP is not a bad price at all (except USD is currently too weak...)

Edited by gattenda

Finepics,

thanks for the insight. i did consider that there may be slight variations from one another, depending on the vendor, etc. I was giong to take 1 of them, then measure using a digital caliper (0.01mm accuracy) then give that to the shop. Also, for the exact reason you mentioned, i am discussing with them about reducing the volume to may be a dozen or so. Nonetheless, my negotiation hasn't concluded yet and lower volume would naturally drive the price higher, so the figure i gave is still rather a best case senario, and i have to agree that 85GBP is not a bad price at all (except USD is currently too weak...)

I agree the weak dollar does not help. Also you have to consider how you will finsh them as they will come out with a very sharp edge. This is how they look when I get them back:

99024-26662.jpg

I am a dental technician so am used to working with plastics and have the equipment to finish them off.

@chris5264 - reply on the way