When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Can a standard eta2836-2 be modified for GMT

I have the 50th Anniversary GMTII with the modified 2836-2 with the 24 hr GMT hand. I haven't taken it apart to see how they modify it, but when you pull out the crown to the second stop and turn it one way, the date advances. Turn it the other way, and the GMT hand advances, but it only goes in the one direction- clockwise. It came from Silix-Prime.

I have the 50th Anniversary GMTII with the modified 2836-2 with the 24 hr GMT hand. I haven't taken it apart to see how they modify it, but when you pull out the crown to the second stop and turn it one way, the date advances. Turn it the other way, and the GMT hand advances, but it only goes in the one direction- clockwise. It came from Silix-Prime.

Mine doesn't work like that - I have the 2836-2 Exp 2 with correct handstack (hour hand below GMT hand).

First stop, one direction advances the hour hand, other direction advances (quicksets) the date.

Second stop sets the time in both directions (all 3 hands move).

The only thing about this version I don't like is that the date changes with the GMT hand passing 24, not the hour hand.

I've played with my friend's gen Exp 2, and the date advances with the hour hand, not GMT hand. In his, the first stop changes the hour hand forward or backward depending on direction turned. There's no date quickset, and the date must be changed by moving the hour hand forwards or backwards 24 hours. The second stop is for forward or backward time adjustment.

AFAIK the modification involves taking a gearing from the day display function of the 2836 movement, which is why it is a less than satisfactory modification - taking a 7 position device and attempting to convert it into a 24 position one!

This is also why the date-set position of the crown moves the GMT hand when turned the other way, as this is normally the day-setting function on the 2836.

any way to modify it for the second hour hand on a Rolex GMT Master II?

Not unless your a watchmaker, and have access to the required parts to modify the movement, the skills and tooling to drill and tap the mainplate and install new gears etc etc......

It's like asking if you can take a pushrod engine and turn it to a overhead cam model, sure it can be done - if you have the skills and parts....

There is no source for these add on parts which modify a standard 2836-2 into a GMT model...

RG

Then where can I order an ETA 2836-2 movement that has this feature? www.ofrei.com doesn't carry it.

Not unless your a watchmaker, and have access to the required parts to modify the movement, the skills and tooling to drill and tap the mainplate and install new gears etc etc......

It's like asking if you can take a pushrod engine and turn it to a overhead cam model, sure it can be done - if you have the skills and parts....

There is no source for these add on parts which modify a standard 2836-2 into a GMT model...

RG

Then where can I order an ETA 2836-2 movement that has this feature? www.ofrei.com doesn't carry it.

You can't get it, because ETA does not make it, this is a basterdized model and it's an add on to the basic movement produced somewhere in Asia by whoever...

Only possible source in one of the sellers, Josh does NOT sell parts, so don't even bother asking, chances of finding one are slim to none. Only parts seller is Davidsen, maybe he can source one.

If you want a GMT movement, your much better off getting a true GMT movement, not a basterdized one that you can't get parts for...that's how I look at these models...

RG

You can't get it, because ETA does not make it, this is a basterdized model and it's an add on to the basic movement produced somewhere in Asia by whoever...

Only possible source in one of the sellers, Josh does NOT sell parts, so don't even bother asking, chances of finding one are slim to none. Only parts seller is Davidsen, maybe he can source one.

If you want a GMT movement, your much better off getting a true GMT movement, not a basterdized one that you can't get parts for...that's how I look at these models...

RG

Well,I think it is almost impossible to Mod a eta 2836 Movt to have a Gmt funtcion by yourself.As far as i know there is no parts avialble in the market.

But I do have these movt in stock becasue i am working on a Panny Gmt watch project.Since eta 2893 is very costly and quite hard to get.I have decided to use that MOd 2836.

I have both the white and black date calender available.Any one interesed pls PM me .

So is this what Josh is selling, a modified 2836 in his GMT's?

RG

I know some people must have ETA whatever the cost, but in this case the cost is prohibitive if not irrelevant as it is nigh on impossible to do.

Why not instead source one of the Asian GMT movements as used in our reps? These at least are proper GMTs and not something bodged to look like one using parts that are totally unavailable outside the rep factories.

The only justification I can see for choosing an ETA movement over an Asian at the moment is availability of standard spare parts (as there is little difference in quality or design) but in this particular incidence that advantage doesn't exist.

An 'ETA' 2836 modified to run as a GMT is not a true ETA movement in terms of its stated design or function.

Edited by r11co

Someone would be able please insert the images of the changes brought to the movement :Jumpy:

(better still if someone showed what exchange to purchase and as to proceed for the change)...

Thanks

Parts of the movement from www.tztoolshop.com

38433-38762.jpg

Someone would be able please insert the images of the changes brought to the movement :Jumpy:

(better still if someone showed what exchange to purchase and as to proceed for the change)...

The parts to do the modification are not generally available, nor are there specifications for the parts in the public domain. You are asking for something that does not in practice exist outside the rep factories.

If there is someone willing to dismantle their movement to show you I'll be very interested also in their findings, but I doubt anyone will as there is nothing to gain from doing so.

The parts to do the modification ... the rep factories.

What you say is surely corrected ...

however some climbed on parts they will be standard in the movements ETA, therefore is possible

to add a part (I say for making an example) coming from the caliber ETA2893-2 ... ?

39685-38360.jpg

Edited by MAHLER

What you say is surely corrected ...

however some climbed on parts they will be standard in the movements ETA, therefore is possible

to add a part (I say for making an example) coming from the caliber ETA2893-2 ...

39722-38355.jpg

Well then, please go ahead and get the required parts from the 2893, and perform the modifications on a 2836, and make a 2836-2 into a GMT movement using 2893 parts.

I would be very interested in seeing someone do this work.

We are always looking for technical posts, and I look forward to seeing your post on modifying a 2836-2 into a GMT model using 2893-2 parts, this would be much appreciated by the members here...

I look forward to seeing your work, thanks,

RG

Well.... I look forward to seeing your work, thanks...

I would also like to succeed us unfortunately I am an autodidactic and not a watchmaker.

It doesn't perhaps seem but I don't have the conceitedness to know how to do more than the other solo the desire to prime the things.

What I have now modest succeeded in doing thin to has been to bring in life old clocks that I had in the house, an old woman COSMO years' 60, a DREFFA of the years' 40 ...

I have mended some the clocks mechanical products in cina (very beautiful) for knickknacks in style years 60/70....

I have reconstructed the movement of the TISSOT PRS200 that I seriously had damaging in the attempt (awkward) to extract the crown when all told me that an ETA QUARTZ is unadjustble...

I have learned to regulate the tension of the spiral of the POLJOTs that (despite what they say for patriotism forgives hits).

My passion for the clockmaking was born so...

Was mine a supposition and therefore a question is possible that the ETA uses in its mechanisms parts standard and therefore interchangeable?

Would it be possible to replace some pieces and to get a GMT?

I repeat I would also like to make the miracles but at the most I can sing the last song of the Depeches Mode (Nothing is impossible) and to hope....

however a thing belongs me the desire to learn!

Edited by MAHLER