When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Review of 7753 187

Watchmeister

Just received the 7753 187. I will start by saying the dealer on this one provided fabulous communication per usual, I felt the price was reasonable given the 7753 movement (which it is) and they had the item on my doorstep in less than a week.

HOWEVER:

I was disappointed. For other folks impartial views I am superimposing my original 7750 Watchonpo versus the new 7753 and finally adding the gen at the end of each comparison. I suspect you can guess what is what. And yes, I know the crown guard is on backwards on the Honpo. ;)

Front View:

281761-10979.jpg

The gen:

281761-10980.jpg

Markers are shallower, 12 o'clock marker has a ding and the crown is too small.

Comparison of side view - valve side:

281761-10981.jpg

The gen:

281761-10982.jpg

The bezel is very different from gen or honpo.

Crown guard, Pushers and caseback

281761-10983.jpg

281761-10984.jpg

The gen:

281761-10985.jpg

On functionality, movement is as advertised. Bezel however has flimsy 60 click movement reminiscent of the Asian 21j subs. It moves with the slightest touch so you will find the bezel in odd postions. The Honpo and Gen both clank around like tanks.

In fairness to the dealer pictures were accurate and there is nothing wrong in the description. Well it is now the next day since the original post and I have concluded the movement will not be transportable and with the loose bezel it keeps flopping around so I have decided to return it.

Great write-up Kruzer, and admirable you played guinea pig on this long-awaited piece.....look forward to seeing your best hybrid 187

Can't say I'm surprised though - just been too long in the making, whereas we all wanted Ken's case or better along with a 7753 and a better dial (markers and blue '1000').

Just goes to prove the old adage, if something appears too good to be true.....

I know. Having collected and modded virtually all of the original movement PAM automatics this was supposed to be the holy grail. Unfortunately it turned out to be a $500 movement in a $100 Asian 21j case. As most people know I am not a negative person and the purpose of this post is not to rag on anyone. This one is to warn off all the members I have PM'ed back and forth praying for this one over the years. The other thing I have concluded and I have always known but was too lazy to ask. When buying an expensive rep we should be asking what other reps this factory has made. I can guess what other reps this factory has made. :thumbdown:

Seems like the best option here would be to put the 7753 into the Honpo case and switch the CG while you're at it. The markings on the 7753 are just not as sharp as they should be and I can see why you are dissapointed. The movement is the engine though, and it will be a great watch when you fix it.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the transplant. I know you expressed some reservations in the other thread about this watch. I didn't know you had one inbound. That Honpo truly is amazing. It makes me appreciate it even more.

Thanks for the write-up!

I think finepics tried a 7753 transplant in his Honpo version last year and it didnt work out. You may want to ask him or The Zigmeister what can be done.

I wonder if a better version will be made or this one will just fade away now? Or a titanium 194 :g:

TK-

I didn't have any inbound issues because I was so excited that it finally came out that I didn't do my usual reasonably thorough comparing through pictures to the gen or the Honpo nor is there one sitting in a local AD. I would normally take a walk over to one of the local multi-brand watch stores or dedicated company watch stores which are all within 10 blocks of my office. I have great lunch hours. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Chronus-

I believe Finepics was trying to fit a Swiss 7750. You would need a new dial with different date window to fit the 7753.

Slay-

Life is never that easy. Here are my concerns without taking apart the watch. First, the more I look at the quick set date pusher the more I am convinced that the one on the Honpo although beautiful may well not be functional. If that is the case the button and inset from the second watch had better be the same size or you are doing some pretty major case drilling. Second, I can't tell if the dials are the same size as the Honpo crystal have a rim of silver around the outside so you can't tell where the dial ends and the case begins. Third, although we don't need the He valve to be functional it would once again have to fit the same size hole and be removable in the first place rather than a permanent part of the case. You won't know any of these things until the movement and spacer are out of the watch.

But even after all that, I have rubbed the chrome/rhodium (??) off a couple of the numbers on the honpo bezel and have no idea how to replate them or get my hands on replacement markers or bezel.

Here are my concerns without taking apart the watch. First, the more I look at the quick set date pusher the more I am convinced that the one on the Honpo although beautiful may well not be functional. If that is the case the button and inset from the second watch had better be the same size or you are doing some pretty major case drilling. Second, I can't tell if the dials are the same size as the Honpo crystal have a rim of silver around the outside so you can't tell where the dial ends and the case begins. Third, although we don't need the He valve to be functional it would once again have to fit the same size hole and be removable in the first place rather than a permanent part of the case. You won't know any of these things until the movement and spacer are out of the watch.

As finepics took his one apart, you could ask him and he may be able to answer some of these questions. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Unless you've already sent yours back now.

Wow, as mentioned thank you for the great review and for saving me from trying to buy myself one of these too. ;) It's too bad our "holy grail" has turned out to be nothing more than another disappointment. Oh well, I guess we can all still save our pennies and one day buy a genuine, I think they are only going for ~$9500 now. :) I guess we can still hold out hope for the all Ti PAM194. :whistling:

• 4 weeks later...
I guess we can still hold out hope for the all Ti PAM194. :whistling:

Watchonpo already has it.

The genuine has a titanium case, but the bezel is SS. I wonder if they just took the SS bezel from the one all dealers are selling, or if they made a proper bezel in the style of the 187 with screwed in markers?