When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How do new replica's come about?

mbko923

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could tell me the process of replicating a watch and what needs to be done. Does an original model need to be purchased first? Do any dealers or watch makers customize single pieces? please let me know! Thanks!

An unusual question. Sounds like you want to go into the rep business yourself, MBKO923. :)

I'm guessing the high-volume dealers do invest in purchasing real pieces, certainly of the more popular marques like Rolex. They may even slip a small "commission" to ADs in Hong Kong, China or Japan, to "lend" them pieces, or buy and return them.

And occasionally there are bulk buys by groups of regular collectors, if there is enough interest, so I'm yet again guessing one can ask a collector to customise certain pieces.

Hey Victoria,

I'm not really interested in becoming a dealer in the replica business but I would like to know if anyone would be interested in customizing a watch or 2 for me, and how much that would cost. I don't really know where to go, so I'm just asking around, might as well since there are so many people here that know SO MUCH. THANKS! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Hey Victoria,

I'm not really interested in becoming a dealer in the replica business but I would like to know if anyone would be interested in customizing a watch or 2 for me, and how much that would cost. I don't really know where to go, so I'm just asking around, might as well since there are so many people here that know SO MUCH. THANKS! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Good deal. You did indeed come to the right place, although I think the wrong person answered you first. ;)

Haha I don't think you give yourself enough credit Victoria, you know a lot about this business and you are very nice because you always want to help. I just wish I could somehow get more people interested like yourself! Thanks

Around you, you mean? Yes, I feel the same way. As I said, my boyfriend likes watches, but he doesn't have a passion for them as I do -- spending hours on this site, combing info...thanks for the compliment too. :)

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could tell me the process of replicating a watch and what needs to be done. Does an original model need to be purchased first? Do any dealers or watch makers customize single pieces? please let me know! Thanks!

Did your parents not have that little talk with you?

Well I don't know if this is what you're looking for but Ruby, a collector at RWI customizes Day and Datejusts.

I think over the past year we have seen a bit of a change in the way that replica watches are made, we have had the chance to see pre production photos and the chance to find the faults and get them rectified before the production models come out. I have read that some of our collectors own a couple of gens that may have been used as plans for reps but i thing as a rule they are made from photos and other information. if every one was made from a gen then we would see many more true 1 to 1 reps, and there aere not that many of them in reality.

When it comes to customising i think the real queston to ask is can someone customise rep A to look like this or that as oposed to the general question you gave. There are many people here that can carry out work for you but the dealers apart from Ruby that has already been mentioned are in many cases just Drop Shippers, they never get to see the watch you get they take the order and pass it on to a shipper who ships it to you, oftern with very little quality control. Do you know what sort of watch you would like and what you would like done with it?