When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How to convert a 1570 to 1575?

freddy333

It is not possible since the mainplate would have to be reshaped (not to mention the fact that you'd have to custom make extra gears as well).

Let's put it this way: if this was a viable option, it would've been done years ago.

The only way to enjoy a 1575 is to save up and purchase a GMT-I before the prices surpass the $5k price point (which will be soon - mark my words).

Both movements have the date.

Both movements are always marked "1570".

Some other watches aside from GMT 1675 used the 1575 movement, but by and large, 1575 was used in 1675 and 1655. There are exceptions to this generalization since there was a surplus of manufactured 1575 movements for a few years that found their way into other reference models. Rolex used parts as they came across caches of them, so nothing is 'for sure'. But it can be said that in general, 1575 was used for references with an add'l hour hand.

Euno -- Thank you for the info, but I am not sure that answers my question: Can you convert a 1570 (without date) to a 1575 (with date) since the basic calibre is the same? Is it just a case of adding an additional screw-on bridge, and if that is the case, does anyone have a source for the bridge or whatever parts are needed?

For GMT function: No, the extra gears are in the mainplate, so there is no 'screw-on bridge' that is added to the movement to make the GMT function. Thus, a 1570 cannot be turned into a 1575 without someone making a new mainplate to accomodate the extra gears.

For date function: If you want to add the date function, simply install a date wheel and a dial that has a date window. Both the 1570 and the 1575 have the date function.

For date function: If you want to add the date function, simply install a date wheel and a dial that has a date window. Both the 1570 and the 1575 have the date function.

Euno -- I am not interested in the GMT functions (or other movements) since I want to use the movement for my DRSD (which has the date window).

How sure are you about only needing to add a datewheel to a 1570 to give it the date function?

The reason I am pressing this question is because I am trying to buy a no date watch with a 1570 movement to use in my DRSD (if the datewheel can be added easily). But I do not want to buy the watch if I cannot (easily) modify the movement to add the date or it won't work in my DRSD.

Now I get it... The lack of sleep for the past few days has made my mind somewhat loopy :crazy:

For being an OEM vintage Rolex collector for 15+ years, I am somewhat stumped by this question since I have never modded any 1570 movements. I am pretty sure that you can just slap in a date wheel.

Perhaps some other veterans aside from me could chime in here. Avitt, Ubi, etc.?

My thinking is that there is probably more than just a datewheel required. Another bridge or plate with gearing that runs the additional date change mechanism would probably need to be added. So what I need to know is what parts are required, can they be retro-fit onto the top plate (I assume below the automatic wind/rotor assembly) and where might I get those parts?

You know what? I highly doubt that there are any extra gears because I believe that they all had the date function ready to go if needed.

Historically, Rolex made the same movement(s) compatible for different reference models. Why? The idea was that every 10 years or so, a new caliber would be created that would be used 'across the board'.

For example, in the early 60s, it was 1560 + 1565. Then the 157x series replaced it in the mid-late 60s. Then the 303x series, etc...

Anyhow, let's see what others have to say.

For example, in the early 60s, it was 1560 + 1565.

Anyhow, let's see what others have to say.

I think it is the same case with the 1560 & 1565, but I agree that it would help to have input from others with more experience with these (1570/1575) movements. Anyone?

I don't have any experience, but just to be the fly in the ointment, I am sure what you are trying to do can be done.

http://www.jewelryandwatch.com list it as a service if you check under Explorer II on their page. They say send them your 1570 and they will modify. This is a GMT conversion, but I am sure they could do the date for you. It is worth an email.

Edited by stilty

My experiences:

Well, I have disassembled reference 1016 many years ago and there was not a datewheel underneath.

I have disassembled a non-date 1560 and it had the datewheel function. I also pulled apart 1565, and, of course, there was a datewheel.

I've also done the same with 1570 and 1575, but all my 15xx series Rolex have the date function.

I am familiar with 1030, 1560, 1565, 1570, 1575, 1520, 1530 as I've owned/own them all. But I am not particularily a Rolex frankener (although I have built a few from the bottom up).

Mmmm... It is now up to those Frankeners to chime in.

freddy, if you're looking for a 1575 for a 1665, you need to look for a 1500 Date or a 1600 Datejust perhaps. These are the least expensive of the 1575 movts around. Or keep an eye out for the movt only, but they run around $900-1000. I would doubt that a 1570 (no date) is going to have the extra stuff for a date movt. But hey, I'm not a watchmaker. I looked at a 1575 datewheel at my watchmakers and he wanted $85 for it alone. Add a plate or gear or two and you'd be better off just buying an old watch with the correct movt. And don't forget to allow a couple of hundred for servicing- these movts are 30-40 years old!