When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

When does it become a 'new watch'

TeeJay

A bit of a Ship of Theseus debate really, I just wondered at what point someone considered a modified watch to be a different watch, or, if they always considered it to be the same watch, even after most (if not all) the original parts were replaced...

Just curious really :)

Well, I will start then. I never think of it as a new watch. Perhaps a better version of the original rep. There are a number of watches where if you do a fair amount of modding you have significantly enhanced it. Any watch that I think is well built and I like the design gets a movement transplant if the original movement is not Swiss and it is possible to find a Swiss replacement. It is not a new watch but then IMHO I now have a watch which should last for years. :)

Well, I will start then. I never think of it as a new watch. Perhaps a better version of the original rep. There are a number of watches where if you do a fair amount of modding you have significantly enhanced it. Any watch that I think is well built and I like the design gets a movement transplant if the original movement is not Swiss and it is possible to find a Swiss replacement. It is not a new watch but then IMHO I now have a watch which should last for years. :)

Would you still consider it a new watch, even if you had replaced every major part? (Say over an extended period of time)

A bit of a Ship of Theseus debate really, I just wondered at what point someone considered a modified watch to be a different watch, or, if they always considered it to be the same watch, even after most (if not all) the original parts were replaced...

Just curious really :)

the moment you modify it, it becomes a "new watch"

but it can never be genuine either..

just mnho :wounded1:

I often do add gen parts but only to get it up to Frankenwatch status which in my mind is just a better version unless you are using a gen case and a gen movement. Usually at that price you are better off getting the gen. The notable exceptions would be the Rolex vintages and Daytonas (a la Ubi). :)

Wow, I can't believe there's been so much discussion on this issue :D

What with the amount of people who modify their watches, I'd've expected opinions from all directions... Oh well :D

Oh well, as you insist on it, this is the most idle question I heard in a while. I would never guess it got a single reply. Our members are really good-hearted. :)