When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Aimed at the uk based guys

gridlock1983

I dont accept this aspect

"The report said firms were under threat from non-genuine sales in the UK through lost revenue"

as belive me if I had the spare cash for genuines I would be buying them.

I look on our hobby as the same as if you hung a reproduction Van Gogh Sunflowers on your wall at home. Lovely picture I'm sure, but this week the budget won't run to an original! People who buy reps are not (generally) in the market for the originals that they are based on. Just my two-penn'oth.

We're all in this hobby for different reasons. There are a number of members present who collect both reps and gens. Or who start with reps and then move onto gens. So, I disagree- I think that people who buy reps could absolutely be in the same market for the originals as well.

I'd say this part of the article sums it up best:

But the Counterfeiting Luxury study, from law firm Davenport Lyons, found 80% of UK shoppers would be deterred if their purchases aided terrorism.

However, some trade bodies working to counter intellectual property crime have told the BBC that they see no connection with terrorism.

'Terrorism' is the modern 'Communism' which America was so scared of back in the early 20th. Anything bad, blame it on the Communisisisisiists!!!!1 No one ever stopped to think that there's nothing actually wrong with communism, other than the fact it doesn't really work in practice...

I'd be interested to know how money from Chinese produced replica products, would support Islamic terrorism... :bicycle:

Something I think the article does not take into account, is that people are 'softened up' to Full Out Replica goods, by cheap generic items, for which we have to thank America and the Wal-Mar Mentality... Something of a Global Irony there :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I'm sure I've said before (I certainly have privately) about a sweater I bought for

I look on our hobby as the same as if you hung a reproduction Van Gogh Sunflowers on your wall at home. Lovely picture I'm sure, but this week the budget won't run to an original!

I think that's a pretty good analogy for many of the watches. I came to reps admiring a 25k Lange, the rep I got wasn't in the same game let alone the same league - but it was the closest thing to that watch.

And lots of members are into both reps and gens. If anything, over time, I think people that are serious in the hobby aspect tend to gravitate back towards gens - the scene gives people a value in watches they didn't previously have. I certainly value good watches more highly than I used to as a result of reps, and am more inclined to buy a good gen than previously, odd as it may sound.

I dont accept this aspect

"The report said firms were under threat from non-genuine sales in the UK through lost revenue"

as belive me if I had the spare cash for genuines I would be buying them.

I look on our hobby as the same as if you hung a reproduction Van Gogh Sunflowers on your wall at home. Lovely picture I'm sure, but this week the budget won't run to an original! People who buy reps are not (generally) in the market for the originals that they are based on. Just my two-penn'oth.

I don't agree with that aspect either, but from the opposing point of view. Even if I had millions in the bank, I still wouldn't buy genuine watches, because I don't think their brand name justifies the price tag.

I think that's a pretty good analogy for many of the watches. I came to reps admiring a 25k Lange, the rep I got wasn't in the same game let alone the same league - but it was the closest thing to that watch.

And lots of members are into both reps and gens. If anything, over time, I think people that are serious in the hobby aspect tend to gravitate back towards gens - the scene gives people a value in watches they didn't previously have. I certainly value good watches more highly than I used to as a result of reps, and am more inclined to buy a good gen than previously, odd as it may sound.

Not meaning to be argumentative, but I have found as a result of reps (and other watch costs) I am less likely to buy a gen watch now than I was say a year ago when I got my Sub. I could have bought a genuine one, but I bought a rep because it was the cheaper option. The remainder of the cash went towards a vacation in Portmeirion and the associated holiday expences :)

You may be right that Rolex lose out! :lol:

Many a person has arrived ready to pull the trigger on a sub.

But many also come to learn about other brands, a deeper understanding and appreciation of watches in general, and get 'hooked on watches' as they go along. I now 'want' watches I would never have even heard of without reps. Hell, I keep finding myself wanting watches I hadn't even heard of last week.

Still - I can always buy the rep and get a Prisoner box set and save money on both! :p

You may be right that Rolex lose out! :lol:

Many a person has arrived ready to pull the trigger on a sub.

But many also come to learn about other brands, a deeper understanding and appreciation of watches in general, and get 'hooked on watches' as they go along. I now 'want' watches I would never have even heard of without reps. Hell, I keep finding myself wanting watches I hadn't even heard of last week.

Still - I can always buy the rep and get a Prisoner box set and save money on both! :p

They will indeed. Sure, there'll always be someone prepared to buy their product (for the forseable future at least), but ultimately, I think people are being softened up to reps and 'generic' products, and will gradually move away (certainly EveryDay Folks) from the brand names, if they can get an acceptible substitute for cheaper.

Absolutely. I'd never heard of Panerai or Vacheron Constantin before posting here. Admitedly, I seem to be 'immune' to the lure of the PAM, as, nice as they are, they just don't do enough for me for me to want to actually wear one... Still waiting on my VC Overseas (42mm version, supposedly) so time will tell on that one...

Absolutely :biggrin: Watching the episodes is nowhere near as much fun as walking around The Villiage though, and realizing that on those 'long drives' (like in Arival) they were just going a few meters, turning round and filmed going the other way, and winding up somewhere that takes less than 5 minutes to walk to :biggrin: