When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tutorial for replacing a pearl?

Gigatron

Hey gang,

well, I just ordered the replacement bezel from watchmaterial (315-16800-1), but I was wondering if there were any tutorials (particularly ones with pictures) so I could see what I'd be doing before it got here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Fred

It's no rocket science. Just pop off the old pearl... should come off just using your fingernail. Then glue the new one there. :)

I'm just curious as to what's getting replaced, the little bitty pearl, or the pearl and the little silver bezel it sits in.

I just hate doing these things without knowing what to expect. I'm one of those people that read all the instructions before assembling things or hooking up electronics. Not because I can't figure it out, but because I hate little surprises that manufacturers sometime like to forget to mention early on, things like "now attach part A23 to part D4 that was installed in step 2" and then when you go back and look at step 2, they never told you to attach part D4, so you end up taking the whole thing apart.

I realize that this should be loads simpler, but I've already seen suggestions to "remove the entire bezel insert and pop out the pearl from the back" to "the pearl pops off using your fingernail". As you can see, they are completely different instructions, implying 2 completely different methods of achieving the same goal. I just want to know what, exactly, am I looking to do :huh: .

My theory is, it's easier to ask a million questions and do the job once, than to try and wing it and have to buy a new wacth when something doesn't go right.

Thanks again, everyone :D

-Fred

There is no one way to do this. Inserts are different, pearls are different. You never know til you get in there and do it yourself.

Like By-Tor says, try popping the pearl out and glueing the new one in. If that doesn't work, you may have to pop the insert off and put the pearl in and reglue the insert onto the bezel. Hell, I could even see having to make the pearl hole a little bigger- either w/ a knife or a small drill bit. Worst case scenario would be screwing it up and having to buy a whole new insert, but then you might have to file the back side of it down to get it to fit in the bezel correctly. Good luck.

There is no one way to do this. Inserts are different, pearls are different. You never know til you get in there and do it yourself.

Like By-Tor says, try popping the pearl out and glueing the new one in. If that doesn't work, you may have to pop the insert off and put the pearl in and reglue the insert onto the bezel. Hell, I could even see having to make the pearl hole a little bigger- either w/ a knife or a small drill bit. Worst case scenario would be screwing it up and having to buy a whole new insert, but then you might have to file the back side of it down to get it to fit in the bezel correctly. Good luck.

Yaah and depending on the insert you have now, you may want to replace that entire insert pearl and all. If not rip out that old pearl and little chrome ring. It will leave you with just a plain old hole in the metal ring. carefully glue in the new pearl without making a mess with the glue :)

post pics before and after

LOnnie

I'm just curious as to what's getting replaced, the little bitty pearl, or the pearl and the little silver bezel it sits in.

I just hate doing these things without knowing what to expect. I'm one of those people that read all the instructions before assembling things or hooking up electronics. Not because I can't figure it out, but because I hate little surprises that manufacturers sometime like to forget to mention early on, things like "now attach part A23 to part D4 that was installed in step 2" and then when you go back and look at step 2, they never told you to attach part D4, so you end up taking the whole thing apart.

I understand what you're saying.

I have never ever owned a Rolex, nor have a changed a bezel insert.

This is what I'd do:

If the inserts look almost the same (except for the pearl), I'd switch the whole insert.

If the bezel that arrived with the watch is better looking, then remove the "pearl with it's little silver bezel", and switch to your better looking "pearl with it's little silver bezel".

To remove "pearl with it's little silver bezel", I'd use some plastic or wooden material (a spatula perhaps) not to scratch the insert. And then press gentle from the side of the "pearl with it's little silver bezel". Make sure you don't lose it, when popping off!

This is just a suggestion, and what I'd do.