When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Omega SMP 007 - 40th Anniversary

Victoria

It's a very long story, and I have a habit of making stories even longer. So, quick question:

Which of these two would you as an Omega aficionado keep? Which is closest to the gen, and why?

289062-6556.jpg

And don't look now, but I think this was totally a *bay scam auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/OMEGA-Seamaster-James-...5QQcmdZViewItem

Of the two I would choose the right hand opne to keep. Cant really tell how the crown guards are. But on both the peral looks like it protrudes the metal ring it is inserted in (instead of being recessed into it) and the 6 o'clock marker is too thick on both also.. The He valve looks in the right place on both of them. The main reason I chose the right hand one was due to the colouring, the one on the left looks a few shades too light. It might just be the positioning of it and the picture though.

I'd choose the right one, better coloured. But both of them has the same BIG fault... the Point and the bezel has not the correct allignment.

I just got one with the correct allignment from Joe (Top Class Watches), best value for the money. I had previously one piece with the same fault, but this new one i ordered from Joe is really great. Joe Powa!!!!

I'd choose the right one, better coloured. But both of them has the same BIG fault... the Point and the bezel has not the correct allignment.

I just got one with the correct allignment from Joe (Top Class Watches), best value for the money. I had previously one piece with the same fault, but this new one i ordered from Joe is really great. Joe Powa!!!!

Funny, they look aligned correctly to me....

Oh, and I would take the one on the right. The braclet on the left one just does not look quite right for some reason.

Thanks for the replies! Please keep them coming, but the consensus seems to be in tune with my gut instinct -- keep the one on the right (darker blue bezel).

This is what happened:

We bought this Swiss ETA 2735.80 from Andrew. It arrived DOA, the pearl was completely misaligned (you can't see it in photos, but it's instantly visible in person), and the bracelet didn't have the tell-tale "007" on it.

No problems. It's Andrew. One email, and we had a new, working one the very next week, on Tuesday.

Please note that in his website the more expensive Swiss ETA -- by over an U$100 -- one is listed as larger than the Asian movement, 42.5mm to 41mm if memory serves, which my father liked.

The bezel colour was lighter in the Swiss ETA, but he had no opinion about that, and in fact, not even now. To him, blue is blue. :)

We received the new one, and later that day, I happened to put the two side-by-side. I immediately noticed the darker bezel and smaller size matched up with the Asian version on his site, not the one we thought we had paid for. Did his staff goof, and send me the wrong Omega?

So, I emailed him and told him I'd have my watchsmith open it up. I'm sure it would be fine, but just wanted to check to see if it was SWISS ETA, or Asian.

I also noticed that in By-Tor's and other's reviews, the bezel blue is a deep blue, so I instantly calmed down about that.

If it's Swiss, I think we'll keep the new one to the right, because it looks great. The bracelet is a LOT better. And also, I wouldn't want to inconvenience Andrew for a further shipment, just because it's smaller.

What do you think?

Thanks for reading this far. :)