When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

resizing the freaking UPO

arminvanbuuren

hi i tried searching on the post for how to resize the bracelet of UPO.. but i cant find anything on it.. just that everyone has been saying that it's really really hard!.. but im guessing this is a split pin bracelet? and i was meant to push the pin to the directions of where the arrows tells me to? isnt this right?.. well i tried and for some reason it wouldnt come out :\.. but then i didnt put much force at all because im scared of scratching the bracelet..! so i took it to the watch repair place.. and they wanna charge me $10 for resizing :S which is too expensive and the fact that they probably use the same method as wat i did.. and they'll scratch the bracelet :S.. is there anyone that can teach me how to resize the bracelet? :(

I use 2 tools to resize omega bracelets, first the blue one below to start the pin moving then the red one to push it all the way through. I will agree that they are hard to get moving but it is not that bad, just go slowly. You could proberberly get away with out the second tool if you have a resizing block mallet and small drift or pin to tap the pin the rest of the way through.

post-1258-1185534010_thumb.jpg

Here is my tutorial for the UPO bracelet;

You will need several tools.

Removing:

1. A pin removal tool that has a thick pin. This is needed to start the pin out of the bracelet so that the removal pin does not bend in the process.

2. The pin tool above will only get it out about half way so you will need another pin tool with a longer pin to get it out a little further. You need to get it out at least 3/4 of the way to start using pliars (carefully) to remove it the rest of the way.

3. Using pliars, pull straight out. If it is not already at least 3/4 the way out it is very likly you will break the pin.

Replacing:

Align the bracelet and using pliars, start the end of the pin a little into the bracelet. Make sure you use some oil on the pin before inserting into the bracelet. Slowly, push straight. It should go in at least 1/4 to 1/2 way. From here on it is impossible to get any further unless you use a small jewlers/watch hammer to lightly and repetatively tap the end of the pin the rest of the way in. You must do this a little at a time and make sure you tap exactly vertically so as not to bend the pin.

The plastic end of the hammer can be used at the start but you will probably find that the end of the pin start to embed into the resin and you will have to change to the metal end of the hammer as it gets harder to move the pin.

A note on the pliars. Use carefully so as not to scar or bend the pin. I used a pair that had flat on the end with no teeth.

This is the procedeure I used on all three UPO's and it worked each time. But, you have to have the tools and don't even start to do this unless you do.

Good luck.

Usil

Usil's way is absolutely right.

For mine (not an UPO), once the pin was on it's way with the removal tool, I knocked in a removed pin back into the other side to get both half way if that's another possible option for you. I should hasten to add, take the bracelet completely off the watch, all this banging isn't great for it.

Taking to a professional for $10 is an absolute bargain.....as long as they are an actual professional. I took one to a watch place, paid, and they bust the clasp and generally buggered the whole thing up (bracelet later fell apart). Some of the mall guys are a waste of time...

thanks for the reply.. yeh i need them tools which i havent got.. thats probably why i couldnt remove it.. i tried using a small (smallest) screwdriver it does fit in the whole.. but for some reason it wouldnt move the pins at all.. i might have to get these tools for next time :) thanks guys

A useful link maybe?

pmwf.com/Watches/WatchSchool/WS 14 How to Resize Common Bracelets/WS 14 How to Resize Bracelets.htm#Split%20pin%20bracelets

The split pin section saved me buying a hammer as I used the 'plastic lighter' method instead!

edit because for some reason the anonymiser was trashing the link just cut n paste into a new browser window with the missing www

Edited by Febus

thanks for the reply.. yeh i need them tools which i havent got.. thats probably why i couldnt remove it.. i tried using a small (smallest) screwdriver it does fit in the whole.. but for some reason it wouldnt move the pins at all.. i might have to get these tools for next time :) thanks guys

The Pin removers that FxrAndy posted offer much more leverage than you could produce with the screwdriver... they work great.

When I got my first PO (4th gen 42mm)... i resized it using a thumbtack, a 20 oz. framing hammer, needle nose pliers and a board with a cut in it to allow the pin to drift down... I know my pliers left marks on the pin and I bent the pins pulling em out... (only got about 1/4th of the pin out with the tack/hammer)... straightened em back out with the board and hammer... reinstalled with the hammer....

Somehow I miracled some monkeys out my butt and didn't scratch the bracelet at all... and its held up fine.... I did however remove the head from the bracelet before my redneck watchsmithing.

And strangely enough... two days later my pin-pushers arrived from Birdman... but there was no way I could have waited that long.

Some people have used a latex/rubber glove pressed hard against the back to remove the case back. Didn't work for me with the ultimate PO but did with the 4th gen version I had.

This method has worked well on all of my Rolex reps bar one, I have found that neadle nosed letherman tools work great on omega backs in the past, just be carefull not to scratch it!

Just as an aside, if anyone has a couple of spare pins for PO 22mm bracelet I could use them. Tried to obtain gen ones but Cousins aren't stocking them yet......

I also need some spare pins for my UPO 22 mm band (some broken in the process of resizing :black_eye: )... so if anybody knows where we can get some