When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

UPO Crystals updated- go to page 3

watcher

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest carlsbadrolex

Well, the verdict is in, my Gen dial is ruined and so is the replica one... How my watchmaker thought that he could use a thin liquid glue to attach the emblem is beyond me. But when he glued it from the rear, the glue came through to the front and stained the area around the emblem.

Now I have a perfectly tuned, (+1 sec.per day) watch with no dial on it!

And the moral of the story is... If you want a Gen, buy a Gen... Dont go too far in trying to source Gen parts for these things!

I think the actual moral of the story is, don't let someone who appears to have no idea what he's doing mess with your watch. I agrree though that you can go too far hence my decision to only change the crystal. It will always be a rep whatever is done to it and never worth the sum of it's gen parts. My logo is slightly off true but I'm not going to mess with it.

I won't be doing anything dumb like walking into a dealer and trying to fool them so I don't really care that much if it fails very close inspection. It will pass the wrist test when the double AR sparkles at them!

I have been following this thread with much anticipation, hoping for a poitive result. It's a great thing that the gen crystal fits, it makes one of our issues dissapear. as for the second biggest flaw, the symbol.

I understand that the gen dial has a bigger date window. carlsbad said there was an issue with the date wheel and date window, but what was that issue? could a new date wheel allow for the gen dial to be installed? I don't know the availability of a usuable date wheel, but I bet its cheap enough.

another thought I had was to do the crystal now and wait till the factories get a better dial with correct logo and smaller date window. I believe that precioustime has a 007 upo with the correct logo, so its only a matter of time till there is an asaian movt version of it we can take a dial from and add superlume.

anyway, I applaud you all for pushing the limits of upo modding. when and if there are pics I can drool over, I'd love to see.

Well the crystal is here and fitted!!!!!!!!!!!!Wow it is [censored]ing gorgeous!!!

It is the exact dimensions of the rep upo crystal but way better clarity regardless of the AR coating. It pushed straight in with no problem whatsoever. The result is breathtaking in my opinion and has transformed this watch now.

Maybe this topic should be pinned!

post-2081-1187104421_thumb.jpg

post-2081-1187104674_thumb.jpg

Edited by watcher

I fitted the crystal myself, I don't use a watchsmith. When I say easy, it just pushed in as any other crystal would using a method very similar to a crystal press. There were no other issues and I used the same gasket as it was in perfect health.

I have the lite version as I don't think the eta movement is any better. This one runs perfectly and my intention was to fit a gen 2892 with black date wheel and then order a gen dial and hands from ofrei.

I will take some pics at work tonight and see if they are any better. here is a another shot before I fitted the bracelet back on.

298928-104.jpg

Well the crystal is here and fitted!!!!!!!!!!!!Wow it is [censored]ing gorgeous!!!

It is the exact dimensions of the rep upo crystal but way better clarity regardless of the AR coating. It pushed straight in with no problem whatsoever. The result is breathtaking in my opinion and has transformed this watch now.

Maybe this topic should be pinned!

I think it should be pinned or linked smoewhere cuz this is as good a mod as any, imnho..

thanks for this watcher.. time to undergo this project.. probably my last one this year

i need to shut it (spending) down and shut it down hard.. so yes, my last project this year as i am more than content with my current collection

gen po crystal = $169 + mod price.. that's gonna bump me to around $400 total again

GAH GAH BLEH BLEH GAH :cry:

I have 3 of these movements and they keep batting on and keep very good time so based on my experience they are pretty good at the moment.

Cousins informed me they could get the crystal in via special order at roughly 100 pounds so it would be a saving after the bloody import duty!!

Cousins can source the date wheels and movement for me on the 2892.

I have no intention of going near serious water with any rep. I have gens for that. I have never beleived a rep to be genuinely water resistant and never will!

This watch is transformed in it's looks now and it even distracts from the slightly wonky logo!

My logo is slightly out of true also and I may decide to remove it and refit. I will see how bad it looks when I fit the gen crystal.

Congrats on you upo crystal!! Looks great!!

Are you still planning to refit the logo? If you do, can you tell me how to do it, cuz I will like to do something with my logo too, and definitely I