When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My Very First Own Modded PAM strap!

Victoria

Did I say "looker"? Sorry, I meant "hooker" because she sucks. :wounded1:

292480-4379.jpg

Oh, the strap looks half-way decent in non-ambient light, with flash, and that Chinese Emperor yellow jewelry pouch underneath. Bertolucci would've been proud!

But check her out in the cruel daylight mocking me, saying "HAHA" and meaning it, too.

292480-4380.jpg

Looks nothing like Navigater's luscious self-modded strap (the very same strap. He kindly gave me the link and instructions of where to get it in Germany and what to do with the bleach).

Dang.

Like FxrAndy, I just learnt an important lesson. Maybe paying $199 for a strap is crazy. But making straps look as good as professionals ain't easy, so whose laughing now?

Anyone want to buy a $150 strap? :sneaky2:

it doesn't look THAT bad vic -- i think you just need to get some of your skin oils on it, which will darken the lighter areas. i'm sure there is some special wax/polish/conditioner that you can use, but i've found just rubbing straps with your thumbs can improve the look / patina.

i read this somewhere on RWG over a year ago and emailed it to myself to save it (sorry, author unknown):

"The best way to get a Patina on the MF 1942 is to soak it, dry it (with a hair dryer) then soak it and dry again. Then rub and rub and rub with thumbs (you will get sore fingers) and watch the glossy shine appear. This will age it years in a day. You should not really oil leather. The best Patina I have ever seen is on the old horse leather WW2 US A2 flying jackets and I know they should never be oiled."

deltatahoe

it doesn't look THAT bad vic

Thanks, darling...but the Sony digicam is doing half the work. It looks much better in the pics, than in real life, believe me.

AND THE SMELL we won't even talk of. Navi was right.

i read this somewhere on RWG over a year ago and emailed it to myself to save it (sorry, author unknown):

"The best way to get a Patina on the MF 1942 is to soak it, dry it (with a hair dryer) then soak it and dry again. Then rub and rub and rub with thumbs (you will get sore fingers) and watch the glossy shine appear. This will age it years in a day. You should not really oil leather. The best Patina I have ever seen is on the old horse leather WW2 US A2 flying jackets and I know they should never be oiled."

Mmm. Don't know I would ever do that with a pricey Manifatture Firenze strap since this cost me only €16, but I THINK I'LL TRY IT.

At this point, what do I have to lose but the smell of a dry cleaners on my wrist...thanks!

trust me, i know about the smell. i tried to bleach a couple rep straps, and had to thrown them out -- they were total stinkers -- absolutely reeked of bleach. when i saw navigater suggest just brushing on some bleach, as opposed to soaking for 15-20 minutes (which is what i tried), i thought to myself, hey, that could work.

i'll be tracking your progress :D

deltatahoe

Thanks, darling...but the Sony digicam is doing half the work. It looks much better in the pics, than in real life, believe me.

AND THE SMELL we won't even talk of. Navi was right.

Mmm. Don't know I would ever do that with a pricey Manifatture Firenze strap since this cost me only

Edited by lanikai

It really does not look bad .... i use nail polish remover ... for the acetone, it allows u to rub more aggresively .. and then i use a 000 grit wet sand paper.. wtihout wetting it.. you could try using "Hide Food" leather conditioner they sell at the Bently, RR dealerships,.. Jaguar too.. or lexol it is a PH balance cleaner.. they also have the lotion.. German made i believe ... the Hide food is very thick and will gIve the stap a really nice vintage look and it will darken the lighter areas you have ... you could do more with the nail polish remover toward the lugs and tip of the strap and sand down the edges..

That reminds me of a thread I read recently, by an Italian chap who owned hundreds of straps. He rated 4 leather conditioner brands, and I believe he did mention the Bentley one.

The one he rated tops was one which waterproofs a strap, so I don't much like that, because the patina is different on the waterproofed ones.

This is why I haven't bought Elliot's PAV 98, yet. :D

I have even melted wax in hot water let it cool a bit then immerse the strap in it when it is warm not hot.... comes out very nicely wear it for a week or so and the edges will start to darken with your oils and the parafin in the leatheR attracts oils nicely

THAT sounds GOOD, lanikai. Now, I have wax for my legs, will that do I wonder? Somewhere I do have one of those secret Santa gifts I got, which was a Homedics paraffin wax machine. Let me have a rummage around my home...

Thanks for the encouragement guys! As Laz said, it really helps to have people to turn to. :victory:

That reminds me of a thread I read recently, by an Italian chap who owned hundreds of straps. He rated 4 leather conditioner brands, and I believe he did mention the Bentley one.

The one he rated tops was one which waterproofs a strap, so I don't much like that, because the patina is different on the waterproofed ones.

This is why I haven't bought Elliot's PAV 98, yet. :D

THAT sounds GOOD, lanikai. Now, I have wax for my legs, will that do I wonder? Somewhere I do have one of those secret Santa gifts I got, which was a Homedics paraffin wax machine. Let me have a rummage around my home...

Thanks for the encouragement guys! As Laz said, it really helps to have people to turn to. :victory:

THAT'S EVEN BETTER .. I BELIEVE YOUR WAX IS BEES WAX :p ...bodybuilders get waxed ... man what women go through to stay beautiful... not that i would know..LOL.... :lol:

you don't need the heating machine V.. just a old pot will do and i tried once to use the wax dry and rub in on the strap then work it in with my fingers ... came out really good.. sent that one to a member in Florida .. did not sell it to him ... things that you do for others come out better cause you are not as cautious.. kind of free wheeling when it's not for yourself.. which is a good thing B)

that "hide food" is really good stuff for vintaging though ... highly reccomend it .. it is a thick leather paste and a bit tacky (feel) at first but work it in with your fingers then get an old (lint free rag) and buff it; it will get a nice semi velvet finish to the leather.. if you have a dremel use the sanding wheel to take the rubberized coating off the sides if not just coarser grit sand paper... what do you call sand paper in europe? only reason i ask is what we call elevators you call "lifts" and when we refer to food "take out".. you refer to it as "take away's" and in our culture take away's is in basketball ... don't know what the point to all this is ...??? babble <_<

Edited by lanikai

It will look far better after some oils are rubbed in V, try the waxing and any other leather prep you have. BTW i dont use any sand paper or wiar brushes on mine when i strip a rep strap just a bit of bleach and scrub with a nail brush, then a good rince in running cold water to get the bleach out of the leather.

It will look far better after some oils are rubbed in V, try the waxing and any other leather prep you have. BTW i dont use any sand paper or wiar brushes on mine when i strip a rep strap just a bit of bleach and scrub with a nail brush, then a good rince in running cold water to get the bleach out of the leather.

Good deal, Lanikai & FxrAndy. Will do just as you guys say.

However, now I have a question. My Metta Catherina arrived a little the worse for wear. Oh, she's beautiful, but needs some buffing to bring out her natural sheen.

I want her to look like this:

post-6973-1186047387_thumb.jpg

Question:

What do you recommend? Same as above? Remember, she's 200 years old, so we need to treat her nicely. ;)

Good deal, Lanikai & FxrAndy. Will do just as you guys say.

However, now I have a question. My Metta Catherina arrived a little the worse for wear. Oh, she's beautiful, but needs some buffing to bring out her natural sheen.

I want her to look like this:

post-6973-1186047387_thumb.jpg

Question:

What do you recommend? Same as above? Remember, she's 200 years old, so we need to treat her nicely. ;)

for sure "hide food",... used on the leather for Bently , RR , Ferrari , Porsche , etc. .. the only treatment that i find that will leave a nice satin gloss when buffed .. remember ... lint free cloth... because the hide food starts out sticky...

Hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) may help in getting rid of the bleach smell. It is also likely to furtherly modify how the leather looks.

To oil the straps I have been very happy with an oil made of macadamia, jojoba and almonds -- pleasantly fragrant.

I would strongly advice against line oil.

DON'T TOUCH A METTA STRAP! HERESY, OUTRAGE! :lol: