When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

'Closed Factory' Seamaster v DRSD

PAMman

Can anyone confirm, preferably with photos, the accuracy of the so-called 'closed factory' Bond Seamaster? I understand that this was fitted with an ETA 2892 and is the most accurate Seamaster rep to date. Apart from the accuracy of the detail how does the quality of the build compare to the MBW DRSD for example?

I know that these Bond watches are no longer available but I'm considering offering my modded DRSD (by Plapatine) in exchange for one of these Seamasters. The DRSD has a gen crown / tube, modded CGs, drilled lugs and bracelet, aged lume and aged/polished case with paint removed from the caseback.

The question really is: Are these two watches comparable in terms of quality and accuracy?.....Is this a sensible notion at all? I came to the rep scene too late to buy this Seamaster new and my tastes have changed from Rollie to other brands anyhow. Any advice, suggestions etc appreciated.

The seamaster I'm posting here had the more accurate bracelet with pins (almost exactly the same as my gen) and ETA2824. Sadly it was stolen in a burglary, not so sadly the insurance company paid out for a genuine despite my writing 'REPLICA' clearly on the form.

However have you considered that you can buy a genuine from ebay for 2.5 times the cost of your MBW? That's exactly what I did.

post-950-1186208936_thumb.jpg

The ETA 2824 bracelet is cheap and weak.

Be careful with that generalisation. Despite production of the best ST-18/2824 SMPs stopping over 2 years ago, availability of 2824 based SMP reps has continued to this date but successive releases have seen deteriorations in quality that are well documented eg. loss of 3 o'clock hour marker, band going through several changes including dispensing with genuine-style pins and tubes, loss of the 5-piece compound end-link to be replaced with a cheaper single casting, changes in size/font of dial print - usually for the worse, etc. etc. etc.

Thanks for all the responses. I have one of the earlier ETA Seamaster reps with the good bracelet (pins and segmented end-links) and good dial with 3 o'clock marker. However it has the thicker case (higher caseback), HR valve incorrect at 10 exactly. I just trying to improve accuracy with the case etc but possibly it's 'not worth the candle'. I also have one of the black ETA SMPs with the correct HR position and better crownguards but the overall quality of the case and bracelet is not as good as the older rep. Just another case of 'two steps forward and three steps backwards???

I had an early top grade 007 model as discussed which came from 'JackieChen' (of which some early guys will remember but long before this forum came top life) at a cost of over $500 which was an awful lot 4 years ago! This watch had a verified eta 2892-a2 inside and was as good in quality to the real deal. I wish I still had it! I think they did vary as time went on. A shame!