When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Hong Kong

munk

Walk around Mongkok, plenty of watches...but they don't display the reps on the street, only photos.

I personally won't even look at them, most of these businesses has some sort of background that you don't want to get involve...(personal safety reasons)

Any of you guys been to Hong Kong? Any idea where i can check the reps there? im going there next month. any specific places guys?

It goes without saying that the highest quality reps are available from the dealers here, and that 'going solo' brings risks in quality. That said, the fun can be in the shopping and the haggling - plus you don't have to worry about shipping (customs may be looking for bling when you land though!)

I really enjoy shopping in the Hong Kong markets, even if it is a tourist trap (they saw you coming!). I agree that Mong Kok / northern end of Kowloon is a good place to wander.

In the past I've found that to get the real reps you end up being taken up godforsaken alleys into some grotty buildings, a steel door opens up on the fifth floor and suddenly you're in a rep sweatshop. That was pre-1997, but in this day and age I assume the reps just come in from China.

Which brings me to the best place to go 'fake' shopping - over the border in Shenzhen, if you fancy a day trip. The sale of ripped off stuff is blatant there. They will even fake Cisco routers....

Not sure this helps all that much, but it might point you in the right direction. Enjoy!

The last time that I was in HK, (October last year) I was saddened to see that there had been a police crack-down on replicas. The usual places - in the Temple Street market and the Ladies Market were bereft of all replicas... even clothing and belts. The rep watches did come out, very late at night... but not many of them.

The same was true of the big shopping mall in Luwo (just over the border in ShenZhen).. usually a rep paradise, this time almost all the reps had gone under the counter.

Maybe things will be different when you get there... but do not expect to find high end reps in HK. For that you need to go to Guangzhou (Canton)... and even there you need to search dilligently.

On the plus side, in Lowu you can get OK reps at very good prices. This sapphire GMT ll will not satisfy the purists but it only cost me £20 in Lowu. Of course, that was the tourist price... in Guangzhou, I bought a Colamariner for £7.50 :-)

45176-37344.jpg

45176-37345.jpg

But HK does have other attractions. Go to Lantau Island (that is the island where you come into HK, so you can get the MTR (subway) there from anywhere in HK) and visit the monastry - there is is the largest seated bhudda in the world there... bloody huge. But the astmosphere in the monastry, which covers several acres is just sublime. They are building a cable-car run to it from the airport, but I don't think it will be completed until the summer. No sweat, take a taxi, or if you are really on a budget, a bus.

When I visit HK, I usually stay at the Intercontinental on Kowloon. The view from the bar of the Intercontinental at night is probably the best man-made view in the world. Have a Tsingtao beer for me.

45176-37346.jpg

If you will be in HK on a Sunday, book a table for Sunday Brunch at the Intercontinental. All you can eat... from a huge range of food from Western, Japanese and several Chinese cuisines... plus bottomless Moet & Chandon for a fixed price... about £40... I think, I usually start wirh a few lobsters, then head for the sashimi, then hit the Chinese buffet, then have a few more lobsters, sushimi and scallops before settling down to the desserts. I had six, last time I was there. Then I had to have a little lie down :-)

45176-37347.jpg

If you company is paying for the trip, you could do worse than stay at the Intercontinental. Ask for room 800 - it a fantastic suite. I got upgraded to it, once... it has unbelievable harbour views and a jacuzzi that you could swim across. The Peninsular Hotel is also very good... heads of state tend to stay there. I have done and it is astonishingly good... but I prefer the friendly atmosphere of the Intercontinental.

Or you could try the Four Seasons. I have not stayed there yet, but I understand that it a six-star hotel. so should be quite nice.

Happy landings!

Clive

I was in Hong Kong last November '05 and all I can say is you will do much BETTER dealing with our dealers here. I was in HK/Beijing for 10 days, and spent a fair amount of free time shopping. The majority of reps for sale will be pretty shitty reps...I was apalled by how many bad reps people would show me...I probably saw over a couple thousand watches while I was there and I only picked up a SS Sub for a decent price for a friend. Similar eta SS we would get from EL or our other dealers. I've picked up over 30+ eta reps from EL and other dealers, and we really do get the best stuff here for a fair price. I was on the hunt because I was convinced I could do better, but 98% of the dealers you will run into will have CRAPPY REPS...the 2% will still have 95% crappy reps with a couple decent Pams and Rollies...but overall it was a waste of time.

In Shenzhen, you can buy tons of other reps...I found some AAA Louis Vuitton and Dunhill luggage reps after wasting 15+ hours shopping around. Remember, there are all kinds of grades, and you have to be insistant on telling them the best. They will have runner after runner bring sample after sample...In the end, I found what i was looking for.

On a side note, DEFINITELY have Sunday brunch at the Intercontinental...it's absolutely ridiculous...i'm not sure if I ate 6 lobsters like Clive, but I did a fair amount of damage across the board. The food in HK is amazing if you do your research before going.

:victory:

If you are a slicer and a foodie...bring you golf bag and appetite to Zhongshan. 7 golf courses, and just about everything imaginable for food. Extremely reasonably priced too! I had a bad case of sticker shock of what I could buy in HK but my $$$ went alot farther in China. 1.5hr ferry ride from Tsim Sa Tsui terminal. $180hkd one way. Even there the reps are not up to the standards here but still great bang for the buck. If you need more details, PM me.