When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

BL Steelfish dial colour

lanikai

Hello,

I am new to the BL threads ... my only BL watches are the super avenger .... the Bently and the Bently GT ..

I am getting ready to pull the trigger on the Steelfish .. but would like some input on the dial

since I do not like to rely on my own eyes when it come to pics.. can anyone give me some direction as to which is the dial of choice... black or blue .... can't make up my mind

any opinions would be greatly appreciated :thumbsupsmileyanim:

thank you

lanikai

I bought both the blue and black dial versions at the same time, I'm leaning more towards the black recently, as I have been wearing my blue dial version pretty often, the black is more classic, imho >>>>

blue face with blue rubber strap = perfect

once i find the right dealer that's what im aiming for.

if you are going with the asian version i would definitely suggest the white dial. with a darker dial and no AR it acts like a mirror and in my opinion it is almost unbearable. the white dials dont show off too much of a reflection. again, this would only be advice for the asian version....the $135 version. if you go with the swiss version, which has great AR....good luck...they all look nice. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

if you are going with the asian version i would definitely suggest the white dial. with a darker dial and no AR it acts like a mirror and in my opinion it is almost unbearable. the white dials dont show off too much of a reflection. again, this would only be advice for the asian version....the $135 version. if you go with the swiss version, which has great AR....good luck...they all look nice. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Thank you for your input... I have decided on the Blue but i will probably get the other dials eventually (by next month ) as the prices are getting ready for their anual increase ... <_<

I'm close to ordering one of these, but since I'm leaning towards the white dial, I'm wondering whether it pays to go with the ETA version with good AR. Basically, everyone with the white asian is saying that it isn't that big a factor- the lack of AR- as the white dial doesn't produce much glare, and therefore it isn't as necessary or impactful on the overall feel of the watch.

Can anyone comment on this? Preferably someone who has the swiss white-dialed version, or even better, has both the white and a darker coloured one?

It's kinda bizarre how stressful the choice of dial colour is for me.

I'm moving away from the white dial, as it seems to me that it isn't as necessary if you're going with the ETA with AR.

Now it's between black and blue. I have a Cousteau, which is blue on a blue rubber strap...and so I'm now leaning towards black- but I want to be able to see the concentric circle pattern, and I wonder whether it's not as visible with the black dial....blegh...this is what happens when you start overanalyzing.

I'm close to ordering one of these, but since I'm leaning towards the white dial, I'm wondering whether it pays to go with the ETA version with good AR. Basically, everyone with the white asian is saying that it isn't that big a factor- the lack of AR- as the white dial doesn't produce much glare, and therefore it isn't as necessary or impactful on the overall feel of the watch.

Can anyone comment on this? Preferably someone who has the swiss white-dialed version, or even better, has both the white and a darker coloured one?

I really think that AR coating is way over rated .... i have a white dial in another line and the Ar coating on the Genuines are not as pronounce as in the Reps ..... at first Ar is really nice to look at but gets to be more of a hinderance (to me) after awhile ... like the genuines i would rather have a very , very light AR or not at all..

Thats an awsome leather(croc?) strap you have there...is it a gen strap?

I bought both the blue and black dial versions at the same time, I'm leaning more towards the black recently, as I have been wearing my blue dial version pretty often, the black is more classic, imho >>>>

I really think that AR coating is way over rated .... i have a white dial in another line and the Ar coating on the Genuines are not as pronounce as in the Reps ..... at first Ar is really nice to look at but gets to be more of a hinderance (to me) after awhile ... like the genuines i would rather have a very , very light AR or not at all..

is that true?? :o

but is there simply no AR on the asian version at all?? thanks

I *almost* went with the black dial on the notion that it would show the effect of the AR better than the white dial....but at the last moment went with my gut (and the watch I liked better) and decided on the white one.

I'm glad to hear that I was right to not panic and go with the dark dial.....thx

couldn"t agree more

Ok... i just got the blue dial today... the digital pics adds to the darkness of the dial .. as it seems lighter in person... so your all dead on .. wothout the AR it would be sort of flat.... does the white dial look as good as the pics ??? I hope the black is a Deeper colour than the blue..although the more i look at it the more i like it..

and does anyone have a source for the divers (rubber) strap or is that a genuine ?

thanks,

lanikai

Honestly, folks, I can't see noticable AR on any watch crystal. Rep or gen, two gens side by side, Breitling gens, double super AR Mondo-Reps. But I *can* see AR on my Zeiss rifle scope. I can see AR on the ocular lenses of my Schmidt Cassegrain telescope. If you have to strain to explain AR on a watch crystal, I can promise you that nobody looking at your wrist is going to be able to glimpse it.

Your Zeiss scope is ultimate optical ... i to do not notice AR when i visit the Genuine retailers... but it does make the dial look better on the rep. as was stated by others ... makes me accept the flaw on the rep a little better.

Ok... i just got the blue dial today... the digital pics adds to the darkness of the dial .. as it seems lighter in person... so your all dead on .. wothout the AR it would be sort of flat.... does the white dial look as good as the pics ??? I hope the black is a Deeper colour than the blue..although the more i look at it the more i like it..

and does anyone have a source for the divers (rubber) strap or is that a genuine ?

thanks,

lanikai

You might be able to find a gen rubber strap on ebay, or you might like to visit the AD and purchase one. Imho, the rubber strap is more comfortable for me than the ss bracelet.

now i have reciecved the blk dial and to my eyes it seems "deeper" than the blue as far as the colour of the dials offsetting the dimensions of the watch.... the AR coating is the finisher .. although I have never seen a gen woth as much AR coating as the reps..