When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

List of lamest excuses seen on the bay

anton

Ever since I found this forum :thumbsupsmileyanim: I haven't purchased a single watch on ebay when I could be easily scammed. Thanks to the eagle-eyes of our watch cynics, I've learned from the best how to spot the crap de la crap.

These scammers; could they be dumber than a door[censored] or what? If you're selling what looks to be valuable, wouldn't YOU at least attempt to do the research if you thought it was valuable?

I've seen these reasons when I find auctions like these:

-My father passed it onto me as part of his estate; I know nothing about watches but I brought it to a jeweler who confirms that it is an original... [word left out: replica]

-Sorry, no box or papers; I lost it in my last move (most watches come in an easily identifiable box, especially Panerai)

-I don't know the value of it, yet I bought it used (or second hand) [last one was a sarcastic remark].

How about the classic "uncle" story? I wonder why it's always "uncle", and not grandfather or brother.

"I inherited this Daytona from my uncle, and I don't know if it's authentic or not. I have a friend who works for Rolex and he said it is.

296723-1282.jpg

Great topic! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

- Old and rare <--- (on a PAM I-series, i.e. 2006)

- Sorry, no papers or guarantee, I got this as a present so I was not in position to ask for them.

I wonder why it's always "uncle", and not grandfather or brother.

Exactly today georgegrasser found a guy who inherited from grandmother... :lol:

How about the classic "uncle" story? I wonder why it's always "uncle", and not grandfather or brother.

"I inherited this Daytona from my uncle, and I don't know if it's authentic or not. I have a friend who works for Rolex and he said it is.

297409-882.jpg

Thats the most god-awful Canal Street Daytona I've ever seen.

My favorite excuse is the "I bought this watch at an estate sale," or "Found this in a lot of old jewelers stuff." Or how about "I received this as a graduation gift but I don't have a box or papers.

About a Montblanc Star : "I had this verified by the manager of the local AD, who confirmed its authenticity" :lol:

About an HBB for which I requested the serial number to have it checked by an AD : "I am currently on vacation, let you know it asap"...

Sure, the best moment to sell something is when you're on holiday ! :rolleyes: