When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

"Ultimate" PAM127 "1950"

Chronus

Trusty has a new PAM127 ... how good is this so-called "Ultimate" version?

Apparently with sapphire crystal front and back. The front is AR coated, and a Swiss ETA 6497 (but a hacking movement??) movement. A 117 case, and a $378 price tag...

Looks nice...but WHY-oh-WHY can they NOT install the taller center pin?!? <_<

If they are piecing together the movement, it doesn't seem that much more difficult to fix this issue on this movement.

For the price, I would rather buy one from TWP or Davidsen...Just my thoughts...

lume is too yellow.

and for me, the curve of the front crystal is wrong.

dial is wrong.

--

movement looks good.

anyway, I've owned / inspected different "best" fiddies from different sellers, but I haven't seen any better fiddy than EL's ultimate fiddy (but it had its own problems, movement was looking extremely good but problematic)

This fiddy does indeed look like a good version, except that to concur with DuDro, the canon pin is a glaring mistake that really should be corrected before it is offered for sale. Andrew, if you read this, see about the factory fixing this issue so the buyer does not have to.

- Non existent lume

- Dial indices too yellow

- Long cannon pin but minute hand tube needs shortening

- Dial txt (Luminor Panerai, 1950) too dark

- Xtal of questionable material and quality...anyone still remembers Andrew's exploding Fiddy xtals ? LOL!

- Price tag of $410+ delivered

...which begs the question - why would you even consider this one over DSN's latest Fiddy...

babola

- Non existent lume

- Dial indices too yellow

- Long cannon pin but minute hand tube needs shortening

- Dial txt (Luminor Panerai, 1950) too dark

- Xtal of questionable material and quality...anyone still remembers Andrew's exploding Fiddy xtals ? LOL!

- Price tag of $410+ delivered

...which begs the question - why would you even consider this one over DSN's latest Fiddy...

babola

Well said - agree completely B)

movement looks really good. other than that its way to expensive, because it will require additional mods.

its better to go with Davidsen on this one, if you ask me.

or get an asian fiddy for 130$ add 80$ for a davidsen chrystal, 30$ for short tubed hands which adds to a total of 240$. You only need the movement. sell the asian for 75$ and get this movement for something around 100-150$. But as you sell this will take some time and is probably not for everybody!

Well said - agree completely B)

;)

Honestly, I'm loosing my patience with having to pay thru your nose for something so substandard, and it's not only the latest Fiddy these dealers offer, it's just about every other 'half-decent' rep.

Just as I believe many others from these forums, I did bring this many times to the likes of Andrew, Joshua etc...where I basically told them they can't expect much business from us in the future while expecting us to pay exorbirant and grossly inflated prices they advertise on the Internet for general public. <_< It all fell on deaf ears...of course...

Not to worry, we all know better anyway, there are many others we could/should deal with...like DSN, King, Trevor, Ruby... etc.

just my two cents, :D

babola

@babola

Dial txt is the same color as DSN's

I've got Andrew's older version with the brighter txt as well as DSN's current "ultimate" Fiddy. It appears that both watches does not have sapphire crystal backs, I've compared them to a 111h I got from EL... which does have a sapphire back.

How did I compare? I tapped the case back glass with my fingernail... EL's 111h has a deep "thud" sound and the 2 Fiddys have a louder and a much higher pitched "click" sound. I did this test with the front crystal when I first got Andrew's Fiddy.... made the same "click" noise when I tap it. It wasn't until I replaced it with a DSN crystal when I noticed the difference.

Although still not perfect....IMO DSN has got the best "out of the box" Fiddy... cannon pin fixed, excellent lume for a rep and the closest movement to the gen so far.

If I want a perfect Fiddy... I'll buy a genuine :D

@babola

Dial txt is the same color as DSN's

I know mate, I've got latest DSN Fiddy as well :)

It appears that the latest batch of Fiddy dials as used on 'ultimate' versions by diferent dealers, has the same issue - light brown dial txt. They seem to be made by the same dial factory. The dial also seem to have a thinner top sandwich layer, and slightly wrong number 1 tip in 12 o'clock.

Cream/off-white dial print on original EL from last year and older Andrew's Fiddy that came in e0581/1950 case was the best print I've seen on rep Fiddy dials so far, and I've owned 4 diferent ones in the last two years.

I'm in a process of sourcing a spare 'old' Fiddy dial with lighter dial print soon from another member, for a swap on my DSN Fiddy, fingers crossed :)

babola

I'm in a process of sourcing a spare 'old' Fiddy dial with lighter dial print soon from another member, for a swap on my DSN Fiddy, fingers crossed :)

babola

babola,

Since you're an expert, how's this one? I bought a spare 5 months ago when I first ordered the no stock Ultimate Fiddy. I anticipated the UF dial would be too matte and thin and I was right. I just haven't had the chance to relume and install it. I think the dial looks pretty good just wondering what you think.

Surrounding pictures are GEN Fiddy for reference also included a 111H dial (ignore this it's there for reference for white print) on the left and the Ultimate Fiddy on the right.

298663-259.jpg

babola,

Since you're an expert, how's this one? I bought a spare 5 months ago when I first ordered the no stock Ultimate Fiddy. I anticipated the UF dial would be too matte and thin and I was right. I just haven't had the chance to relume and install it. I think the dial looks pretty good just wondering what you think.

Surrounding pictures are GEN Fiddy for reference also included a 111H dial (ignore this it's there for reference for white print) on the left and the Ultimate Fiddy on the right.

The spare dial is pretty good mate, I'd definitely re-lume it and swap the existing one.

Here's another photo of a gen for reference, as you can see, your spare dial is quite close.

Link

cheers,

babola

Edited by babola

The dial also seem to have a thinner top sandwich layer, and slightly wrong number 1 tip in 12 o'clock.

You're right... didn't notice till I read your post... :lol:

Cream/off-white dial print on original EL from last year and older Andrew's Fiddy that came in e0581/1950 case was the best print I've seen on rep Fiddy dials so far, and I've owned 4 diferent ones in the last two years.

You're right about that too... I've just compared the 2 dials on my Fiddys...

I've spent too much already... I don't think I'll bother swapping the 2 dials over, have to relume, etc, to match with the lume on the hands. And there's a good possibility that it might not be an easy swap... the dial maybe to big / small for DSN's case.

I'm thinking about it though... :evil::evil2::evil:

I don't know if you guys notice but when it was first listed, the same watch, it was $288 and said to have an Asian movement. Now it's $378 and labeled as "Ultimate" with Swiss movement. :rolleyes:

Slightly different watch this time, though.

The previous one was listed @298 + P&P, and came in e0581/1950 (slightly "off" case), had Hybrid Swiss/Asian 6497-1 mov't in it (mostly Asian bits, yet still advertised as Swiss), 'exploding' mineral glass (good A/R and distorsion, though) good thick black superlumed sandwich dial and hands, although the hands were inferior to DSN ones since they came with sexagonal tube, not a nice look at all since even if you fixed the short pin issue, the sexagonal tube shape was still visible, even without the loupe. The only plus in that watch was the dial, with nice off-white/cream dial txt.

I had that Fiddy as well, I was initially attracted to it's reasonably low price for a "swiss" Fiddy, since then - xtal exploded, sent the dial & case to DSN for new "implants" and unfortunately sold it :-( in anticipation of the Ultimate...had I only known back then how prized and elusive the thick (and matte black) Fiddy rep dial will become these days :) ...I really should have kept the dial alone...

The latest Andrew's Fiddy is quite diferent from that one, and the only bit worth the $$ in it is the movement and the case without xtal, that's all, IMO.

I'd give it a miss if I were you, especially at that rediculously inflated price.

cheers,

babola