When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Phil Rizzuto, Yankees Shortstop, Dies at 89

eddhead

For those of you who are unfamilar with Phil Rizzuto, he was a hall of fame NY Yankee shortstop from 1941 to 1956 and a Yankee television and radio broadcaster from 1956 to 1996. So he was connected to the organization for 55 years. He was referred to affectiontly as the Scooter.. stood 5'6" tall and weighed in at 150lbs. Despite his demure stature he was arguably the best shortstop of his era.

I am 48 years old (OK soon to be 49) and began watching the yankees in 1966/67. I was a strong fan, watched every televised game, and listened to the radio broadcasts of the others. I remember the Scooter teaming up with a litnay of partners... from Joe Garigiola, to Jerry Coleman, Frank Messer, Bill White, etc etc...

The Yankees were not the powerhouse in the mid to late 60's they are today or were previously. It was sometimes tough for a 7 year old whose whole world revolved around the Yankees and the Jets (American Football team) to deal with. But the Scooter was always there for us, through bad times as well as the good. In an odd way, he has been a part of my life for longer than any non-family member.

I loved the guy... got a real kick out of him. Thinking about him always reminds me of all the innocence and hope of childhood, and all the brightness of a sunny day day. It evokes being home from school over the summer, playing ball all day long with my friends, rushing out to finish cutting the lawn with my mitt hanging from the handle of the lawnmower, so I could run down the street to play ball when I was finished. Only to rush home at night to watch the game.

I will always consider him the truest of all Yankees.havng stayed connected with the oranization in one form or another for 50 years and never waivering in his love for them. Honestly, the experience of following he Yankees has not been the same since he stopped broadcasting in 1996. His demise marks the end of an era in Yankee history and in an odd way, a milestone in my life.

Rest in Peace.

Scooter was great. He and Harry Caray were the only two allowed to use the phrase "Holy Cow."

He will be missed.

This leaves Yogi Berra as the most famous surviving member of those heralded Yankee teams, right?

Well, not sure if Don Larsen is still around, or if his one claim to fame counts as "heralded"...

This leaves Yogi Berra as the most famous surviving member of those heralded Yankee teams, right?

Well, not sure if Don Larsen is still around, or if his one claim to fame counts as "heralded"...

Yogi is probably the most distinguished Yankee if not the most senior. Whitey Ford would be a very close second.

One final tribute to the "Scooter". Quotes from From the baseball-almanac.com

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/quotes/quorizz.shtml

Here comes Roger Maris, they're standing up, waiting to see if Roger is going to hit number sixty-one, here's the windup, the pitch to Roger, WAY outside, ball one. The fans are starting to boo, low, ball two. That one was in the dirt and the boos get louder. Two balls, no strikes on Roger Maris, here's the windup, fastball, HIT DEEP TO RIGHT, THIS COULD BE IT, WAYYYY BACK THERE, HOLY COW HE DID IT, SIXTY-ONE HOME RUNS!" Source: TV Broadcast (October 1, 1961)

"Holy cow" Source: Countless Radio Broadcasts

"I like radio better than television because if you make a mistake on radio, they don't know. You can make up anything on the radio."

"I'll never forget September sixth nineteen-fifty. I got a letter threatening me, Hank Bauer, Yogi Berra and Johnny Mize. It said if I showed up in uniform against the Red Sox I'd be shot. I turned the letter over to the FBI and told my manager Casey Stengel about it. You know what Casey did? He gave me a different uniform and gave mine to Billy Martin. Can you imagine that! Guess Casey thought it'd be better if Billy got shot." Source: Sport Magazine (December 1961)

"I'll take anyway to get into the Hall of Fame. If they want a batboy, I'll go in as a batboy."

"There was an aura about him (Joe DiMaggio). He walked like no one else walked. He did things so easily. He was immaculate in everything he did. Kings of State wanted to meet him and be with him. He carried himself so well. He could fit in any place in the world."

"They've got so many Latin players we're going to have to get a Latin instructor up here." Source: The Sporting News (April 24, 1989)

"Those huckleberries in the National League didn't want to do anything (DH in Series) that the American League want to do." Source: TV Broadcast (September 25, 1977)

"Well that (Pope Paul VI passing away) kind of puts the damper on even a Yankee win." Source: TV Broadcast (August 6, 1978)

tes About Phil Rizzuto

"If you ever worked with

(Phil) Rizzuto you'd know my motivation. How would you like to work eighteen years with a guy who still doesn't know your first name?" - Former Player / Broadcaster / National League President Bill White

"I heard the doctors revived a man after being dead for four-and-a-half minutes. When they asked what it was like being dead, he said it was like listening to New York Yankees announcer Phil Rizzuto during a rain delay." - Late Night host David Letterman

"Kid, is your mother in the stands? (Rizzuto replied yes) Well, stay here and talk to me a little and she'll think you're giving advice to the great Lefty Gomez." - Hall of Fame Pitcher Lefty Gomez

"Kid, you're too small. You ought to go out and shine shoes." - Manager Casey Stengel (1936)

"My best pitch is anything the batter grounds, lines, or pops in the direction of (Phil) Rizzuto." - Pitcher Vic Raschi

• The Diamond Dude by Ogden Nash

In the life of this dandiest of shortstops

Fashion starts the moment sports stops.

Since he works for the Newark American Shop

Of which Mac Stresin is the Prop,

The wardrobe acquired by

Phil Rizzuto

Is as tasty as melon and prosciutto.

Thirty-five suits and twenty-odd jackets

Proclaim he's a man in the upper brackets.

There are fifteen overcoats hung in line,

And twenty-five pairs of shoes to shine,

And as for shirts and ties and socks,

Philip has more than Maine has rocks.

The suits are neat and unostentatious,

But as for sports clothes, goodness gracious!

No similar sight is to be had

This side of Gary Crosby's dad.

Does this make Mrs. Rizzuto ecstatic?

No. She has to hang her clothes in the attic.